ForumsThe TavernWhy are people scared of slender man

33 6466
bobawesome
bobawesome
116 posts
Peasant

I really do not get this. He does not even look scary.

• 33 Replies
HahiHa
HahiHa
8,253 posts
Regent

I never played it myself so I cannot tell from personal experience, but my guess is slenderman himself is not scary, but the way he appears is. When you walk around at night, everything suddenly appearing seems scary, even more with those spider-like appendages he sometimes has and the lack of face(=lack of recognizable facial features).

I tried that old game once, Arena, it was evening and I was in the dark sewer, there was almost no noise. I almost jumped the first time some stupid goblin attacked me from behind. It all depends on the circumstances.

redslaughterer
redslaughterer
256 posts
Nomad

I think part of it is the element of suprise. And it does depend on the situation.

Armpit
Armpit
784 posts
Nomad

They aren't scared, they're jealous. Society puts so much emphasis on images in this day and age that if you're even just a little bit overweight, you're considered to be fat. Of course we have Slender Man here who makes even the skinny people look like Roseanne.

pickpocket
pickpocket
5,952 posts
Shepherd

He isn't scary? He obviously hasn't touched you yet..... Oh uh.....

daleks
daleks
3,766 posts
Chamberlain

I watched people play the game. They were freaking out and stuff. I don't see what is so scary about it myself. Weeping angels are creeper.
http://www.twofedoras.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/weepingangles.jpg

Santi_
Santi_
1,900 posts
Nomad

It's a decent game to have been made during a non-stop coding session within a few days.

I honestly believe "Where Am I?" made by the same person is much better.

GhostOfMatrix
GhostOfMatrix
15,595 posts
Herald

I don't see what is so scary about it myself

Try playing it.
tricker20
tricker20
9 posts
Peasant

It's a really good game ill give the people credit but like a few other people said it's really not that scary unless u play it really late at night. But other wise it's not so scary.

benmitchell0036
benmitchell0036
8 posts
Peasant

I played the game late at night, sound cranked with some friends, all the lights off, and I felt like I was going to have a heart attack, my heart was beating really fast. I was baked though, that might have had something to do with it.

nichodemus
nichodemus
14,990 posts
Grand Duke

Obviously you've never played it. By yourself. At night. Full volume.

Gamer_Cale
Gamer_Cale
1,370 posts
Nomad

Ok I'm going to give in and download it tommorow and see if it is scary or not I will post my thoughts after I've given it a try.

killersup10
killersup10
2,739 posts
Blacksmith

[quote]Ok I'm going to give in and download it tommorow and see if it is scary or not I will post my thoughts after I've given it a try.[/quote

R.I.P your sanity....

rayoflight3
rayoflight3
437 posts
Nomad

His slenderness evokes flashbacks of my childhood anorexis, memories I had repressed.

StDrake
StDrake
194 posts
Lord

Humanity has what seems to be an inbuilt fear of things unknown. Darkness itself adds its own, beacause our visibility range is greatly diminished without sufficient light, thus lowering our ability to spot and recognise potential dangers. Slenderman appears out of nowhere, has no facial features - thus being a major "wtf is this and what does it want?" and approaches us. Not being in a position to wait and analyse the situation the first reaction is interpretation of that as a threat and action basing on that..and since we're rather unarmed in there combat is not an option - so RUN!
Later we don't even need him to be in sight. We still hold memories of a threat in the area and are ready to run if anything appears at all, just in case it's that threat.

That makes me remember the reaction of some fat dude to that scary, seemingly easy labirynth game - dodge, warcry(try to scare the threat away), ATTACK!..lovely fisthole punched through the monitor

TheMostManlyMan
TheMostManlyMan
5,823 posts
Chamberlain

i now understand it having played the game. if you too want to understand it then go play the game for yourself

Showing 1-15 of 33