ForumsThe TavernArmatar awkward moments

154 30516
MachineofLight
MachineofLight
317 posts
Blacksmith

Do any of you guys/girls feel like "oh that person has that armatar so if I choose it people will think I'm a copier."

I had a perfect example of this, when I went to visit Jeff1999 I saw a comment on his profile with Minotaur55 asking him why he was using his "armatar"

And Mino, I have no offence to you because I have never met you so please don't hate me. Jeff might see you as a role model or good friend, but just because he put the Minotaur armatar shouldn't give you the right to ask him why he put that armatar. He may like that armatar also.

• 154 Replies
Cenere
Cenere
13,658 posts
Jester

Both of them don't come by that often...and when they do it seems both of them come back at the same time

I disagree with the first part of that sentence. As for the latter, if I find something Strop ought to look at, I do give him a link for later. Might explain a little of that, though it has been a while.

Just to repeat a much bigger awkward armatar moment: People who think you need to have whatever armatar they decide. And don't think a gold king should have a starting armatar.
Dealing with that is more awkward than wearing the armatar of someone else more famous.
IAgreeWithYou
IAgreeWithYou
509 posts
Nomad

I don't really see the point of Armatars/Avatars. Sometimes they can be fun to mess around with but really I'll just read people's names. (Especially because I don't know really have a great memory)

IAgreeWithYou
IAgreeWithYou
509 posts
Nomad

Ah, sorry accidentally pressed submit.

I don't really see the point of Armatars/Avatars. Sometimes they can be fun to mess around with but really I'll just read people's names. (Especially because I don't know really have a great memory). As for confusing people I can only see that happening in a site like AG because of it actually has quite a good armatar system that really hooks you. The only problem I have with armatars is that it is the main reason why there is so much spam on here (The comment section looks like it has exploded). I seriously have no idea how moderators can even bother to go through that.

In AG 3 it doesn't look like it is going to get much better though. Armatar packs are definitely NOT going to help with spam. Unless if you have a certain amount of deleted comments the really cool armatar packs are not able to be chosen.

xXxDAPRO89xXx
xXxDAPRO89xXx
6,737 posts
Baron

Over time I just associate armatars with people... lol, and sometimes I mistake the wrong people for others because of armatars lol

sourwhatup2
sourwhatup2
3,660 posts
Jester

Over time I just associate armatars with people... lol, and sometimes I mistake the wrong people for others because of armatars lol

I used to do this when I was a bit new here. But after a while you start to realize that you should name check every once in a while, like I do.

Sometimes I'll see a recognizable armatar and think it's someone who is very active in forums.. But it could randomly be a newbie so I look at the rank then the name. It's not that difficult to read out a name just to double check yourself.
Skeleton_Pilot
Skeleton_Pilot
1,361 posts
Blacksmith

But after a while you start to realize that you should name check every once in a while, like I do.

I still only find myself doing this when multiple users are wearing the same armatar at the same time... like in the case of pang, soccerdude and ironblade41, who are three active members who post in the same general areas and who happen to be wearing the same armatar!

I'm not quite in the habit of name-checking on a regular basis... =P
sourwhatup2
sourwhatup2
3,660 posts
Jester

I still only find myself doing this when multiple users are wearing the same armatar at the same time...

True.. Though I am adjusted to just look at names now, this is pretty true. xD
GhostOfHorror
GhostOfHorror
890 posts
Nomad

Though I am adjusted to just look at names now

I only look at names in particular cases, for now, I almost automatically associate you with that armatar.
Gantic with the rabbit.
Zoph with the insect/mantis.
Void with his elfy thing.
Skeleton with his skeleton.
Daleks with the dinosaur thing.
Bronze with his dinosaur thing.
Sal with the skeleton hand.

There's probably some others that I can't think of offhand, but meh.
Patrick2011
Patrick2011
12,321 posts
Treasurer

In AG 3 it doesn't look like it is going to get much better though. Armatar packs are definitely NOT going to help with spam. Unless if you have a certain amount of deleted comments the really cool armatar packs are not able to be chosen.

AG3 will award AP through achievements, so armatars will no longer encourage spam.
pickpocket
pickpocket
5,956 posts
Shepherd

I can actually say this is my armatar now. IAgreeWithYou is the only person i have seen with it, and I made it.

GhostOfHorror
GhostOfHorror
890 posts
Nomad

And. he might change it when new ones are released.
Seeing as you created you, may feel obligated to use it.

Anyhow, seeing as almost everyone has a seasonal armatar, it's going to be quite confusing for people who look armatars instead of names, not only does everyone have a different armatar, some people have the same ones.
I've only seen Matrix and HahaHi with this one, though.

Salvidian
Salvidian
4,170 posts
Farmer
pickpocket
pickpocket
5,956 posts
Shepherd

Salvy, that was a while ago. there is no excuse now a days

Patrick2011
Patrick2011
12,321 posts
Treasurer

Matrix

GhostOfMatrix has a different seasonal, but I agree that name-checking will be more important now.
GhostOfHorror
GhostOfHorror
890 posts
Nomad

No, I had a different armatar upon posting that.

Showing 76-90 of 154