ForumsThe TavernCan opinions be wrong/incorrect

57 9501
Jerrbear65
Jerrbear65
173 posts
Nomad

Hello Armor Games players, I am having a debate with a lot of people on this topic, can an opinion be wrong, I say no it cannot be and they yes it can be. I would like everyones help to settle this

Let the great debate begin!

• 57 Replies
killersup10
killersup10
2,739 posts
Blacksmith

Technically, yes. For if somone to say " Man, the beatles have like no fans!" They have fans. So it is wrong.... its complicated.

Jerrbear65
Jerrbear65
173 posts
Nomad

Very true but what if they consider a certain amount like no fans?
Also the definition says that an opinion does not have to be based on facts...

GhostOfHorror
GhostOfHorror
889 posts
Nomad

It generally depends on what the opinion is on; for example, on a debate you can't really have an incorrect opinion, since that's your view on the subject.

Salvidian
Salvidian
4,170 posts
Farmer

You can't be wrong for liking or disliking something, but if the reason you have for liking/disliking is wrong then your opinion is wrong.

soccerdude2
soccerdude2
1,673 posts
Shepherd

It really depends if you agree with their opinion.

Jerrbear65
Jerrbear65
173 posts
Nomad

You can't be wrong for liking or disliking something, but if the reason you have for liking/disliking is wrong then your opinion is wrong.

Remember though opinions are not based on facts so says the dictionary.
Xzeno
Xzeno
2,301 posts
Nomad

Depends on the opinion. Things that are a matter of taste can't be right or wrong. However, even subjective opinions can be evaluated, and some opinions are better than others. The example Sal gave is good: if your opinion is based on WRONG information, it's not a good opinion, even if it is inherently a subjective issue.

Since people can and do hold opinions about factual matters, however, some opinions are indeed right or wrong. The opinion that Twilight is well-written is a bad opinion, but the opinion that evolution isn't real is a wrong opinion.

Jerrbear65
Jerrbear65
173 posts
Nomad

if your opinion is based on WRONG information, it's not a good opinion, even if it is inherently a subjective issue.

If it is not a good opinion is it wrong or is it just not a good one?
VonHeisenbourg
VonHeisenbourg
377 posts
Peasant

Technically, yes. For if somone to say " Man, the beatles have like no fans!" They have fans. So it is wrong.... its complicated.

You can't be wrong about an opinion... It all depends on what you consider to be "no fans". If I consider 5000 fans "to be like no fans" and you consider them to be a lot of fans, then we differ on the opinion of what a few fans are in this context. Neither of us are correct or incorrect.

Opinions are never wrong, often times they're silly and short-sighted and backed with false statements or incorrect facts though, but the opinion in and of itself is never wrong.

Just sharing my thoughts
Salvidian
Salvidian
4,170 posts
Farmer

Remember though opinions are not based on facts so says the dictionary.

If your opinions are based on invalid facts then your opinions are wrong. It's like writing a research paper using bad sources; it'll have a lot of errors, despite you not changing anything.
Jerrbear65
Jerrbear65
173 posts
Nomad

If your opinions are based on invalid facts then your opinions are wrong,

Would what you said there be an opinion, I think so, so it could be wrong and we may never know. Also writing research papers are normally on facts, so that paper cannot be and opinion.
Salvidian
Salvidian
4,170 posts
Farmer

Would what you said there be an opinion, I think so, so it could be wrong and we may never know.

Actually it would be fact, because it's something that, when you look at, it's either a yes or no. You can't have a somewhat valid paper if you use incorrect facts; if you don't change the info, it'll be wrong, no matter what.

Also writing research papers are normally on facts, so that paper cannot be and opinion.

It was an analogy. I wasn't directly relating research papers to being either facts or opinions.
GhostOfHorror
GhostOfHorror
889 posts
Nomad

I wasn't directly relating research papers to being either facts or opinions.

Some papers do have questions with 'Why do you think this?' at the end.

Yet you can get them wrong, so, on that theory, opinions can be incorrect.
VonHeisenbourg
VonHeisenbourg
377 posts
Peasant

If your opinions are based on invalid facts then your opinions are wrong. It's like writing a research paper using bad sources; it'll have a lot of errors, despite you not changing anything.

What Xzeno said already answers this...

However, even subjective opinions can be evaluated, and some opinions are better than others. The example Sal gave is good: if your opinion is based on WRONG information, it's not a good opinion, even if it is inherently a subjective issue.

It can be a poor or even unintelligent opinion, but the opinion in itself is not wrong, it cannot be wrong.
VonHeisenbourg
VonHeisenbourg
377 posts
Peasant

Yet you can get them wrong, so, on that theory, opinions can be incorrect.

Nah opinions are subjective, they can be derived from poor sources and or invalid facts, but the opinion will never be wrong. A person can change his opinion on something, but that won't have made that opinion wrong.

I think you guys have the wrong definition on opinion, let me give you an example:

Opinion: Red is the best colour in the world from my perspective!

Not an opinion: All Canadians are mounties and say "eh" all the time, therefore Canadians suck.

The last is not an opinion, it is just incorrect. I think some of you guys think, that the last example is an opinion.
Showing 1-15 of 57