ForumsThe TavernCan opinions be wrong/incorrect

57 9499
Jerrbear65
Jerrbear65
173 posts
Nomad

Hello Armor Games players, I am having a debate with a lot of people on this topic, can an opinion be wrong, I say no it cannot be and they yes it can be. I would like everyones help to settle this

Let the great debate begin!

• 57 Replies
VonHeisenbourg
VonHeisenbourg
377 posts
Peasant

Man, I hate to seem flimsy on my stances, but... I think when I said the following I was referring that the last example was a claim, and not an opinion.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but you seem to be contradicting yourself here. You state that an opinion can be derived from invalid facts. Now assuming you're defining "invalid" as "false," that first clause of your example, "All Canadians are mounties and say 'eh' all the time," is invalid. You would agree, however, that the second clause, "Canadians suck," would be an opinion if it existed on its own though, right? So why isn't the overall statement an opinion by your definition? The opinion is simply derived from an untrue fact.

So when I said:

I hate it when that happens =.= I suppose I have to rescind my stance on this matter and say that opinions in certain situations.

I had forgotten why I said that wasn't an opinion and idiotically rescinded my stance on this matter =.=
Jacen96
Jacen96
3,087 posts
Bard

Does that mean bigotry is right?

Attacking someone just for holding a specific opinion is hipocrisy, but if the reason for said opinion is false/unfounded, does the opinion magically stay untouchable even though there's no good reason to hold it?
What I meant to say is you have no right to hate them for having an opinion, I didn't say you couldn't try to change that opinion.

~~~Darth Caedus
Jerrbear65
Jerrbear65
173 posts
Nomad

An opinion can be both wrong and right, wrong in the facts, but right because that is what they truly believe, and you should respect that.

The facts maybe wrong but the opinion can NEVER be wrong, as in the definition of an opinion states that an opinion doesn't have to have any facts.
Kasic
Kasic
5,552 posts
Jester

The facts maybe wrong but the opinion can NEVER be wrong, as in the definition of an opinion states that an opinion doesn't have to have any facts.

In the event no facts are involved, there are still good or bad opinions.

One carries an opinion for a reason, and those reasons are subject to scrutiny.

Give me any opinion and I can dig deeper and find if it's reasonable to hold.
pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,808 posts
Jester

In my opinion, 2+2 equals 5.

Well...with trigonometry..your opinion is correct

And the sky is orange.

It's ok bro...I'm colourblind too

Challenge accepted - Hitler was just being satirical during his rule. Everyone took him seriously so he kept going farther and farther hoping someone would finally catch on.
Kasic
Kasic
5,552 posts
Jester

Hitler was just being satirical during his rule. Everyone took him seriously so he kept going farther and farther hoping someone would finally catch on.

First, that's mostly a claim, not opinion. The only part of what you said that might be construed as opinion is you think Hitler was satirical.
Second, from all available resources we can determine this is extraordinarily unlikely. There is no hint of satire in anything he said.
Third, Really? Hitler? I know Godwin's Law may as well be the god of all internet discussions, but this is about opinions...how did your mind even jump to that?
SwordmasterQ
SwordmasterQ
29 posts
Nomad

It is my opinion that this opinion is false.

Jerrbear65
Jerrbear65
173 posts
Nomad

Challenge accepted. It is my opinion that Ottawa Senators is the best NHL team in the world.
Jacen96
Jacen96
3,087 posts
Bard

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m98uuy4Kf71qc0c2u.jpg

It is my opinion that the electoral college should be disbanded.

~~~Darth Caedus
fireangle
fireangle
176 posts
Nomad

Opinions can not be false because that would by definition would make it a fact. A opinion is someone's beliefs, while a fact is information that can be proven either true or false.

fireangle
fireangle
176 posts
Nomad

Ok challenge accepted.

My opinion is that nursery rhymes are creepy

VonHeisenbourg
VonHeisenbourg
377 posts
Peasant

Claim, not an opinion

And the sky is orange.

The sky is actually occasionally orange... And also a claim. Nothing you have said has been an opinion yet =.=
TheGenovesan
TheGenovesan
65 posts
Nomad

Claim, not an opinion

And the sky is orange.

The sky is actually occasionally orange... And also a claim. Nothing you have said has been an opinion yet =.=

But is it not his opinion that what he said was his opinion?
Minotaur55
Minotaur55
1,373 posts
Blacksmith

Of course there can be wrong opinions, there is only one truth. There are many facts, but only one truth. Opinions are just unverified points of view on truth. Think of it this way:

There is only one truth as to how the universe was created. There are many facts from previous theories, but what made them facts was that you brain cannot misunderstand, cannot argue, and cannot deny the point blank obvious facts (also known as common sense) around us everyday that support this hypothesis a person comes up with. Opinions are things that people don't all agree to, because they have facts that either some people have not seen or experienced at all. But not all the time is what you come in contact to a real or factual fact. So yes, opinions can be wrong. There aren't many ways the universe was made, there is one way it was made. And there are more then like 3 billion people who come up with theories on how the universe was made. Law of average would say more then 2 million people will get it wrong. That is the factual proof to support opinions can be wrong.

Kasic
Kasic
5,552 posts
Jester

It is my opinion that Ottawa Senators is the best NHL team in the world.

NHL Records

As the Ottawa Senators hold multiple bad records and no good records, your opinion is false. Not arguably either, just flat out.

It is my opinion that the electoral college should be disbanded.

You'll have to give more for me to say. America isn't a true democracy though, and a system like the electoral college fits what our government currently is.

A opinion is someone's beliefs,

Beliefs are even easier to be wrong. Someone can believe they can fly. How many people a year die jumping off stuff?

My opinion is that nursery rhymes are creepy

It would depend on the rhyme.
Showing 31-45 of 57