ForumsWEPRDo you believe in Global warming?

81 31060
fireangle
fireangle
176 posts
Nomad

I personaly think the politics do talk about this to scare us. Everyone is worried about how to stop Global warming when what we should be more worried about wheather it is caused by man. I believe Global warming does exist but it is just natural cycle that the Earth's average temprature goes through. Earth naturally heats and cools as time goes on and I think we should except the change than rather stop it.

• 81 Replies
partydevil
partydevil
5,132 posts
Jester

nuclear doesn't last long enough. and the further away you are from a sun the less efficient solar power gets (unless we can achieve starlight power)
helium-3 would be my best bet but that also doesn't last forever.

but yea, taking all the rest in mind aswell. i think it is to much work and then we still wont have a destinationthat we know for certain that is safe.

SSTG
SSTG
13,055 posts
Treasurer

but yea, taking all the rest in mind aswell. i think it is to much work and then we still wont have a destinationthat we know for certain that is safe.

First build a base on the moon, then cause a nuclear accident that will propel the entire thing out of it's orbit and into space, then improvise (Space 1999).

If I had terminal cancer and the technology allowed it, I would volunteer to be launch into space and describe everything I see until I die (useful data for future voyage).
If I were younger I would do it for sure even though I weren't dying.
I would miss trees and nature but that would be for a great cause (helping humanity). When the Earth becomes inhabitable, a second or third generation could colonize another planet eventually.
Kasic
Kasic
5,556 posts
Jester

the fuel might even be the biggest problem here.

Fuel is only needed primarily for acceleration. Once you're moving fast, that's that. As for the acceleration bit, gravity slingshot doesn't require much fuel.

I suppose there would be a fuel consumption for power onboard, but with a large enough storage of fuel (whatever that may be) supplemented by solar, you could hold out until you reach various solar systems and resupply by mining asteroids.
ellock
ellock
385 posts
Blacksmith

Global warming... I have a complicated view on this.
For starters, I DON'T believe in all the crap that the media says about it, they blow everything out of proportion and it is mostly ill-informed on top of that.
With that out of the way, I do think it would be quite possible for the CO2 levels to cause global warming. I do not think however, that this is what we are experiencing. I think it is just a cycle the earth is going through. I do think the CO2 levels need to be dealt with before they get to be a problem, and it may cause some of the issue, but not all of it; or even half of it.
May not be as complicated as you thought... but it is complicated to me because usually I have pretty concrete views on things.

Getoffmydangle
Getoffmydangle
152 posts
Blacksmith

To paraphrase Neil DeGrasse Tyson: The great thing about science is that it doesn't matter whether or not you believe in it. In regard to the original post: It Doesn't matter whether or not you believe in climate change.... its happening. Polar ice caps are melting, which means there is less ice to reflect heat, which means more heat is retained.

partydevil
partydevil
5,132 posts
Jester

First build a base on the moon, then cause a nuclear accident that will propel the entire thing out of it's orbit and into space, then improvise

not gonna work. the moon will get in orbit of the sun in some other place in the solar system.
when our sun explodes our planet will be blasted away. and will be 0,5 times past where mars is now.
(simulator)

If I had terminal cancer and the technology allowed it, I would volunteer to be launch into space and describe everything I see until I die (useful data for future voyage).

healthy people would volunteer for the same job. but they will simply send out a camera. it wont cost a life and at can be looked back at for studies.

Fuel is only needed primarily for acceleration. Once you're moving fast, that's that.

the universe isn't as peaceful everywhere as it is near us. we will need fuel to dodge and return back on course. also does the life support ask fuel. or is it supposed to be a suicide mission?

I DON'T believe in all the crap that the media says about it

what about scientists?

I do think it would be quite possible for the CO2 levels to cause global warming. I do not think however, that this is what we are experiencing.
we are.
the CO2 lvl hasn't been this high in 800.000 year. the natural cycle you mentioned takes about 100.000 year per cycle. and did never get past the 320. but now the CO2 lvl is 380 and still rising.
Showing 76-81 of 81