ForumsWEPRnot believing means send to hell?

154 54087
xAyjAy
xAyjAy
4,711 posts
Blacksmith

let us say there could be places like heaven and hell...

..what would happen with people who can not believe after they die? what happens with people who never had the chance to believe anything after they died? what happens with people who forgot that there is a god (altzheimers) or people who are mentally handicapped or people in a coma when they die?

my point is that believe can not be the only "thing" that decides wether they get into heaven or hell (if these places even exist).

just a thought i had today.

• 154 Replies
xAyjAy
xAyjAy
4,711 posts
Blacksmith

unfortunately you use logic which is something not many religions use.

i wonder how religion would be with logic...try to imagine it...

some believe that belief has nothing to do with where you are going and that it all depends on whether you are a good person or not.

sounds like karma. i like the idea behind karma, but you should be nice to others just because and not to get a reward.

If somebodies mind is so set into believing something so intensely, it's not my right to force him to believe my way of thinking.

it is sad that no religion follows these words...i mean, look at the jehovah's witnesses...

at heavens gate, where st. peter will judge your life. you will see heaven and instantly know and acknowledge all the fairy tales. and there will be no more reason to not believe it. then st. peter will let you pass.

what if heaven is a lie? we will know the truth when we die, and then we will see if there is nothing or a heaven and a hell. whoa, this inspired me to write a poem O.o

Really i think the idea of heaven and hell is very simple and if there is a god

if...if is good...
Kasic
Kasic
5,556 posts
Jester

i wonder how religion would be with logic...try to imagine it...

Religion with logic is what's called, "losing faith."

sounds like karma. i like the idea behind karma, but you should be nice to others just because and not to get a reward.

I like the idea behind karma too, unless you attach it to the concept of reincarnation. Mistakes in your previous life shouldn't affect a fresh start.

it is sad that no religion follows these words...i mean, look at the jehovah's witnesses...

They don't see it as forcing others to believe. They honestly believe that they're saving people's souls. It's what makes religion evil so very often, the things done in ignorance and bigotry, meant to be what's right.

what if heaven is a lie? we will know the truth when we die, and then we will see if there is nothing or a heaven and a hell. whoa, this inspired me to write a poem O.o

Meh. Here's what I settled on when I was ~7 years old.

-If I die and there's no afterlife, I won't know that I'm dead or be able to care that I'm dead.
-If there is reincarnation, I won't really be dead, now will I?
-If there is a God, and he's loving and forgiving as Christians love to claim, it won't matter that I didn't believe in him.
-If he's not loving and forgiving, and is how the Bible depicts him, I'd rather go to hell with the devil, where at least we'd agree that God is a *****.
-If you just become some floating soul, well, I'd just go float across space and look at everything.
xAyjAy
xAyjAy
4,711 posts
Blacksmith

Religion with logic is what's called, "losing faith."

so if i add logic to each religion i lose my faith? i ask because i am not sure what i should believe anymore.

I like the idea behind karma too, unless you attach it to the concept of reincarnation. Mistakes in your previous life shouldn't affect a fresh start.

you would not remember your past live/lifes after you reincarnated. i think that it could be a second chance for some sinners.

They don't see it as forcing others to believe. They honestly believe that they're saving people's souls. It's what makes religion evil so very often, the things done in ignorance and bigotry, meant to be what's right.

and when you try to confront them with that then they say they do it for the others. like the crusades or the burning of witches...

Meh. Here's what I settled on when I was ~7 years old.

-If I die and there's no afterlife, I won't know that I'm dead or be able to care that I'm dead.
-If there is reincarnation, I won't really be dead, now will I?
-If there is a God, and he's loving and forgiving as Christians love to claim, it won't matter that I didn't believe in him.
-If he's not loving and forgiving, and is how the Bible depicts him, I'd rather go to hell with the devil, where at least we'd agree that God is a *****.
-If you just become some floating soul, well, I'd just go float across space and look at everything.

^this. except that you can not remember anything after you reincarnated.
Kasic
Kasic
5,556 posts
Jester

so if i add logic to each religion i lose my faith?

The logical conclusion to religion is that it's stories passed down from generation to generation, which people truly believe, but have no legitimate evidence by which to prove it. That's what it boils down to, anyways.

you would not remember your past live/lifes after you reincarnated. i think that it could be a second chance for some sinners.

Which is why it would be wrong for karma to affect what you were reborn as or your station in life, as in Buddhism/Hinduism. Punishment without explanation is evil. It is nothing more than torture.

and when you try to confront them with that then they say they do it for the others. like the crusades or the burning of witches...

My point. They commit atrocities in the name of saving people, never realizing how monstrous that is. Not that I'm saying every religious person does this, but, here's my favorite line that demonstrates why I think the world would be a much better place without religion.

"I hope you burn in hell, you immoral atheist. Your arrogance in believing yourself above God is evil. Jesus Christ sacrificed himself to save you and you deny that he did."
Deth666
Deth666
653 posts
Nomad

My point. They commit atrocities in the name of saving people, never realizing how monstrous that is. Not that I'm saying every religious person does this, but, here's my favorite line that demonstrates why I think the world would be a much better place without religion.

"I hope you burn in hell, you immoral atheist. Your arrogance in believing yourself above God is evil. Jesus Christ sacrificed himself to save you and you deny that he did."

I believe that it's all part of the human condition. Most humans don't want to take responsibility for their actions. Instead of saying "Well, he annoyed me so I caved his head in", It's a lot more easy to avoid responsibility and say "Well, he believed in a different invisible man in the sky than I do". If you say that then you have millions of people on your side. In some circles, you might even be considered eligible for sainthood. Humans are generally petty and like to delude themselves that they're actually good human beings (as if being human is a good thing). People like to come up with complex answers and evidence to support they're actions because it makes them feel better than looking in the mirror. It's not religions fault its humanity's. Being evil is easy but being good you have to work at, ever wonder why?

"What are we going to tell the Intergallatic Council of Ministers the first time one of our teenage mothers throws her newborn baby into a dumpster, huh? How are we going to explain that to the space people? How are we gonna let 'em know that the ambassador was only late to the meeting because his breakfast was cold and he had to spend half an hour punching his wife around in the kitchen? Or what are they gonna think when they find out that it's just a local custom that over eighty million women in the third world have had their clitoris forcibly removed in order to reduce their sexual pleasure so they won't cheat on their husbands? Can't you just sense how eager the rest of the universe is for us to arrive?"
Kasic
Kasic
5,556 posts
Jester

I believe that it's all part of the human condition. Most humans don't want to take responsibility for their actions. Instead of saying "Well, he annoyed me so I caved his head in", It's a lot more easy to avoid responsibility and say "Well, he believed in a different invisible man in the sky than I do". If you say that then you have millions of people on your side.

If only it were that simple. It's not a conscious decision they made. The people who do those things truly think they are right. That's why it's evil.

Humans are generally petty and like to delude themselves that they're actually good human beings (as if being human is a good thing).

They aren't deluding themselves. They legitimately think that what they are doing is right, for the large majority of them anyways.

People like to come up with complex answers and evidence to support they're actions because it makes them feel better than looking in the mirror.

Brainwashing isn't all that complex. Tell people something enough times, instill a reason to listen, and make the default response to every other view closing one's eyes and sticking their fingers into their ears makes for an easy zombie. Those zombies reproduce and make more zombies. Thus religion lives on.
Deth666
Deth666
653 posts
Nomad

I'm just not convinced that religion isn't a convenient place to hide for evil and/or violent people. I'm not saying they aren't true believers.

Kasic
Kasic
5,556 posts
Jester

I'm just not convinced that religion isn't a convenient place to hide for evil and/or violent people. I'm not saying they aren't true believers.

Oh, I never said it wasn't convenient. Sorry if I gave that impression. It's just that they aren't using it -because- it's convenient. They truly believe what they're doing is right.
MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,470 posts
Farmer

so if i add logic to each religion i lose my faith? i ask because i am not sure what i should believe anymore.

I think this image pretty much sums things up in that regard.

https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/149974_514371068615447_788911245_n.jpg
Blairlarson
Blairlarson
93 posts
Nomad

Well not all religions think believing means send to hell. Some churches think that after we dies the people who did not believe will get another chance in the in the spirt It is before we get judge and everything. In this spirt world you will get the time to except the gospel. One church I know that believes in this The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints or called more often Mormons.

xAyjAy
xAyjAy
4,711 posts
Blacksmith

Brainwashing isn't all that complex. Tell people something enough times, instill a reason to listen, and make the default response to every other view closing one's eyes and sticking their fingers into their ears makes for an easy zombie. Those zombies reproduce and make more zombies. Thus religion lives on.

sounds like something a dictator would do...

@MageGrayWolf great image, i added it to my collection.

Some churches think that after we dies the people who did not believe will get another chance in the in the spirt It is before we get judge and everything.

what happens when i still will not believe? will i then get send to hell just because i am not believing?

In this spirt world you will get the time to except the gospel.

how many time do i get in this world? sounds like i turn into a ghost to get the time to think about it. and when i refuse to accept that gospel then i can haunt other people?
MRWalker82
MRWalker82
4,005 posts
Shepherd

We're all in hell already, ergo your belief (or lack thereof) is meaningless, as is this line of discussion. XD

nichodemus
nichodemus
14,987 posts
Grand Duke

We're all in hell already, ergo your belief (or lack thereof) is meaningless, as is this line of discussion. XD

C'mon, the recession isn't all that **** for most ahah.
MRWalker82
MRWalker82
4,005 posts
Shepherd

Eh recession isn't hurting me much. Still working about 60 hours per week. Guess I'm more fortunate than many.

nichodemus
nichodemus
14,987 posts
Grand Duke

Urgh, my dad has to do 80-85. Consequences of an SME.

Showing 16-30 of 154