ForumsWEPRSupreme Court's 5-4 Decision to Strike DoMA Provision

41 19075
Freakenstein
Freakenstein
9,507 posts
Jester

The Supreme Court ruled in a 5-4 decision to remove and change a specific Defense of Marriage Act's provision, where, to those that apply, married homosexual couples now receive both the benefits (and detriments, pffhffhff) of the average married couple: tax, health and pension benefits that were once denied to them previously.

How will this affect YOU in the future? (derogatory slurs imminent)

I feel something. Something warm. It feels like tolerance and progression of the human legacy.

• 41 Replies
Bladerunner679
Bladerunner679
2,488 posts
Blacksmith

I'm happy to see this law is repealed. I'm sad that there is still a social stigma.

on a semi-related matter, I live next to two different homosexual couples in texas. they are nice people, and the children of both couples are just as messed up as children of any straight couple ('bout the normal level). they are nice neighbors, and I loved spending time with them.

the people who are still opposed to gay marriage (radical fundamentalist christians) should watch these 2 videos(some offensive language):

video 1

and 2

-Blade

xeano321
xeano321
3,152 posts
Farmer

This is wrong; this won't happen.

I wonder how many people made that same statement concerning Homosexuals...

It's not special treatment, it's equal treatment. The treatment to marry the person they love and who loves them in return.

I'm all for getting rid of discrimination, but... Am I alone in this thinking, or is a man marrying a man just kind of weird? I mean, really really think about it... It's just weird, unnatural.
EmperorPalpatine
EmperorPalpatine
9,442 posts
Jester

Am I alone in this thinking, or is a man marrying a man just kind of weird? I mean, really really think about it... It's just weird, unnatural.

Marriage itself is unnatural, a manmade ritual done for cultural and legal purposes.
Somers
Somers
1,532 posts
Nomad

I'm all for getting rid of discrimination, but... Am I alone in this thinking, or is a man marrying a man just kind of weird? I mean, really really think about it... It's just weird, unnatural.

I don't mind homosexuals marrying, but yeah. Its kinda weird, I don't care who you are we've all had that thought run though our mind. Society's labeled it that way

Marriage itself is unnatural, a manmade ritual done for cultural and legal purposes.

Not really, if that's what you call unnatural we could make a long list
hojoko
hojoko
510 posts
Peasant

I don't mind homosexuals marrying, but yeah. Its kinda weird, I don't care who you are we've all had that thought run though our mind.

No, we've not "all had that thought run through our mind". As a bisexual male, a same-sex partnerships always seemed perfectly logical and entirely normal to me. Even if you're completely heterosexual, I fail to comprehend how it's in any way unnatural or weird. Why would you feel repulsed by a same-sex relationship and not a heterosexual relationship between two people you found remarkably unattractive?
partydevil
partydevil
5,132 posts
Jester

Not really,

yea really....
plz. call 1 thing about marriage that is natural.
do penguins have marriage? no, but they are together for life. the same go's for many other species.

if that's what you call unnatural we could make a long list

both lists are very long...
a marriage is a unnatural human made idea. that only exists among humans.
a marriage is nothing more then a officially recognized partnership between 2 people. who the officials are and what sort of traditions they brought whit them has changed greatly over the years. today the officials are the government. just signing a paper is enough to be married. all the rest is just extra...

really really think about it... It's just weird, unnatural.

yes, really think about it. and find out that there are no reasons why it should be weird.
as for the unnatural part. i think that has been dealt whit already. even in these 2 pages.
if not. can someone plz. give him a well expressed way of saying homosexuality happens among many other species aswell and maybe the brain chems if anyone knows then. thus natural.
partydevil
partydevil
5,132 posts
Jester

a marriage is nothing more then a officially recognized partnership between 2 people.

2 or more.
even that changes per culture.
SSTG
SSTG
13,055 posts
Treasurer

This is just disgusting. I can't believe our corrupt government. If I wanted to marry my dog, I'm sure they'd allow it, and allow marriage benefits. They want to degrade mankind. Who the heck wants to marry someone of their same gender?! It's messed up! So many people fall into it just because they want special treatment.

Typical hypocrite conservative, religious nut and twisted view of the World.
That's exactly what I was expecting from you.
xeano321
xeano321
3,152 posts
Farmer

Why would you feel repulsed by a same-sex relationship and not a heterosexual relationship between two people you found remarkably unattractive?

What does personal appearance have to do with it? I'm talking just the plain fact of a man marrying a man (or a woman a woman) it's just doesn't seem like that was how it was intended to be... I mean, is this really a step forward in human development? The whole idea is just weird.

yes, really think about it. and find out that there are no reasons why it should be weird.

What are the reasons why it shouldn't be weird? That's just my personal opinion, don't attack it. If you don't think it's weird, that's just fine, and if I think it is weird, that's fine too. I'm not being discriminatory, just plain out and out honest. No harm in that is there?

a marriage is a unnatural human made idea. that only exists among humans.

Actually (going to catch heck for this, but who cares?) God created the idea of marriage between a man and a woman. I guess the reason why I think the idea is weird, is because the bible says it's wrong.
EmperorPalpatine
EmperorPalpatine
9,442 posts
Jester

I'm talking just the plain fact of a man marrying a man (or a woman a woman) it's just doesn't seem like that was how it was intended to be...

Is the legal marriage weird, or that they live together and do stuff? If the latter, it's irrelevant to the discussion. If the former, why does a legal union granting certain freedoms between two individuals seem weird? Simply because they don't have different body parts?

God created the idea of marriage between a man and a woman.

The same God that said a rape victim marries the rapist. Such a holy tradition...

between a man and a woman

Shall I dig up every biblical instance of polygamy and incest done by His followers?

is because the bible says it's wrong.

I'm not sure if it says that a legal agreement between individuals is wrong, just the intimacy, which has nothing to do with the topic.
partydevil
partydevil
5,132 posts
Jester

I'm talking just the plain fact of a man marrying a man (or a woman a woman) it's just doesn't seem like that was how it was intended to be... I mean, is this really a step forward in human development? The whole idea is just weird.

yes it is a step forward. but your missing the boat if you stay whit that thought and dont really start thinking about it.. if you really think about it, you would hop on the same boat.

What are the reasons why it shouldn't be weird?

it is your positive claim that it is weird. the burden of proof is on you give reasons why is is weird.
not the other way around. and if you have really have thought about it, then giving a reason why it is weird shouldn't be that hard that you need to dodge the question in this way.

I'm not being discriminatory, just plain out and out honest. No harm in that is there?

might sound like a attack, but i'm just trying to make it as clear as possible.

well if we just state our opinions then the debate would all be very boring.
a debate is more fun when you try to convince the other party of your point of view. hence that is how debate was explained to me in middle school. xD

God created the idea of marriage between a man and a woman.

to bad for you and your god are there records of marriage from before the abraham religions existed. your god was a plagiarist.

I guess the reason why I think the idea is weird, is because the bible says it's wrong.

so you have not been thinking about it. why tell us to really really think about it when you yourself havn't done that? you just copy the words from your religion. thats no critical thinking.... and as emperor has pointed out.
it has nothing to do with the topic.
MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,470 posts
Farmer

I'm talking just the plain fact of a man marrying a man (or a woman a woman) it's just doesn't seem like that was how it was intended to be...

Marriage predates recorded history This kind of makes it hard to come up with original intent. We have however found evidence of monogamy going back millions of years in species. Though considering the thousands of species that demonstrate homosexuality, having a monogamous relationship wouldn't rule out including one involving a couple of the same sex.

However really original intent makes no real difference since what constitutes a marriage is a very dynamic thing changing from culture to culture and with the cultures as they themselves change.

Just for a small example, this sentiment was quite real about interracial marriages at one point. Which over time changed.
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y163/MageGrayWolf/lovingvvirgina1967_zpsf0a782ff.jpg

God created the idea of marriage between a man and a woman. I guess the reason why I think the idea is weird, is because the bible says it's wrong.

Biblically speaking most marriages were polygamous. (consisting of a husband and many wives) But besides that there is no reason why in a place where someone can hold any religion they wish (or non) that one religion should dictate something to everyone.
EmperorPalpatine
EmperorPalpatine
9,442 posts
Jester

to bad for you and your god are there records of marriage from before the abraham religions existed.

Unless you take what the book says as true, saying this religion is as old as mankind and all other related ideas really stem from it.
partydevil
partydevil
5,132 posts
Jester

Unless you take what the book says as true, saying this religion is as old as mankind and all other related ideas really stem from it.

thats just being close minded. i can't argue with that.
SectoidMedic
SectoidMedic
165 posts
Peasant

As long as I'm not forced to be homosexual or be put into a homosexual marriage (which will probably never happen), this is fine with me.

Showing 16-30 of 41