ForumsWEPR[nec]Christianity vs Atheism

3094 555463
kiddslayer12
kiddslayer12
70 posts
Nomad

I am a christian, i and i strongly belive in my lord jesus christ, and i also belive that if you belive in him and except him as your savior, u will go to heaven. and i also believe that he created the world, not the big bang, or that we came from stupid apes.

• 3,094 Replies
Leviathan019
Leviathan019
39 posts
Nomad

In religion it is all to easy to fall back on god as the excuse.

Agreed. Too many people of any religion (atheists included) make excuses based on what they believe. But that's where an objective standard of what is right is important.

Without god we must live up to our own morality and be held responsible by ourselves, which is much more difficult.

This is slippery ground. It begs the question, What is our own morality?
wolf1991
wolf1991
3,437 posts
Farmer

Sadly morality is based on the individual and society's own views of what is moral and immoral.

samy
samy
4,871 posts
Nomad

This is slippery ground. It begs the question, What is our own morality?

Subjective to the individual, but at the same time believe that there is an absolute moral code. Perhaps God is a way for humans to define this code?

P.S. Some people should check their profiles.
Leviathan019
Leviathan019
39 posts
Nomad

Sadly morality is based on the individual and society's own views of what is moral and immoral.

Then this isn't morality at all, and what we think of as right and wrong have no moral meaning whatsoever.

The only way we can call something right or wrong is if we have an objective standard, outside of ourselves, to measure up against. This is a position that God fills.

And if you assume that God is created by men, then yes, we are defining morality for ourselves, but it is still not true morality at all.
samy
samy
4,871 posts
Nomad

This is a position that God fills.

Perhaps God is a way for humans to define this code?

And if you assume that God is created by men, then yes, we are defining morality for ourselves, but it is still not true morality at all.

Then true morality may be something we can never hope to understand, although maybe we can grasp some of what it means to be moral during our lives.
Leviathan019
Leviathan019
39 posts
Nomad

Your correct in saying that the verse itself was fairly clear (although room for debate was still there) and, in fact, a lot of the New Testament is fairly straightforward. The problem is when you get to comparing the Old and New testaments where God seems to be two completely different beings. Contradictions and ambiguity abound.

I won't say that the Bible is never unclear on anything, that's certainly not true. But I won't admit that it's an ambiguous and contradictory mess. If there are specific contradictions that I can help make sense of for you, I'd be glad to help.

Such as?

Some virtues, like courage and self-sacrifice, that can only exist in the face of evil.

And yet you must question or else you leave yourself as an ignorant sheep. Not all Christians are as some have questioned and made it to the other side but the questioning is of utmost importance when it comes to religion.

You make a good point. Questioning is always a good thing. But please don't assume that because you don't like the way things are, there isn't a reason that that's the way it is.

But why wouldn't he? Having Free will and no death sounds like a sweet deal to me.

What is freewill in a world without consequences?

Then he himself is not good, this causes me to assume that the moral code must be separate from God meaning it's existence doesn't depend on his no?

Not necessarily. You can think of it like a justice system. The only person capable of condemning criminals for their crimes is the judge, who has the right qualifications and sense of justice to do the job right.

So while God may do things that we think are unjust, only He has the qualifications to make that judgment, ultimately.

Morality and Love?

He's much more than a list of rules. He's a person, of sorts, too.
Leviathan019
Leviathan019
39 posts
Nomad

Then true morality may be something we can never hope to understand, although maybe we can grasp some of what it means to be moral during our lives.

How so? If God is the standard for morality, and the Bible is His word to us, then hasn't he given us an understanding of true morality?

Also, can you deny that everyone has the ability to tell if something is wrong? We all have a moral intuition.
samy
samy
4,871 posts
Nomad

How so? If God is the standard for morality, and the Bible is His word to us, then hasn't he given us an understanding of true morality?

I still believe that morality is a separate entity than God which nullifies your point (in my view).

Also, can you deny that everyone has the ability to tell if something is wrong? We all have a moral intuition.

Which I think speaks to prove that the moral code is separate from God as we don't all believe in a deity.
Leviathan019
Leviathan019
39 posts
Nomad

And it's time for bed. It's been a great conversation, and I hope I have a chance to get back to any replies you might have sometime tomorrow. Thanks a lot!

Leviathan019
Leviathan019
39 posts
Nomad

Ok, maybe just one more post...

I still believe that morality is a separate entity than God which nullifies your point (in my view).

In what way is morality separate from God?

Which I think speaks to prove that the moral code is separate from God as we don't all believe in a deity.

Belief in God isn't necessary for morality to exist, in the same way that belief in authors isn't necessary to read books.
samy
samy
4,871 posts
Nomad

Ok, maybe just one more post...

Hahaha, oh welcome to AG.

In what way is morality separate from God?

Because, assuming that God exists, what is moral is moral because God commands it.

Belief in God isn't necessary for morality to exist, in the same way that belief in authors isn't necessary to read books.

Write but following that analogy we could assume that the moral code has an author which makes it possible to assume God exists. With that being said I don't think that the easiest conclusion to draw is always the right one.

Along the lines of your first point (all understand morality) wouldn't it make sense that if God was the standard for morality we would all have an inclination to believe in him, that is to say if God is morality (figuratively) wouldn't knowledge of morality lead to knowledge of God?
ligaboy
ligaboy
1,051 posts
Peasant

Bad comparison, authors as well as books are physical things that we can see and touch. God and morals are both things based on personal beliefs.

I don't believe in god and have my own personal set of morals. I do agree with quite a few things in the bible and other holy books, but there are ares where I disagree.
Leviathan019
Leviathan019
39 posts
Nomad

Because, assuming that God exists, what is moral is moral because God commands it.

I've been doing some reading on the differences you've been talking about, and this article explains the problem and its solution.

From your perspective, certain actions are considered good because God commands it to be so. Morality is subjective to him, and comes from his power to enforce it.

Others will say that God commands something to be good because of a standard even higher than himself. But that would rob God of his sovereignty.

What I would suggest is a third option. That morality is a part of His character. That His character is inherently good, He can't be evil.

Then everything He commands is good, not because He wills it to be so, but because it's a part of who He is, and He can't command differently.

Understand?

that is to say if God is morality (figuratively) wouldn't knowledge of morality lead to knowledge of God?

I'm getting you there, don't worry. haha

But I believe that morality does lead to God. You seem to be saying that if morality comes from God, and we can sense morality, then we would have a tendency to believe in God. Can you say that we don't?
Leviathan019
Leviathan019
39 posts
Nomad

Bad comparison, authors as well as books are physical things that we can see and touch. God and morals are both things based on personal beliefs.

Written words are ideas that come from a source. The ideas can exist whether you believe in the source or not. In that way, they're the same.
samy
samy
4,871 posts
Nomad

I read through the article but I still have one question.

How can God commit an act that he has called a sin and still be good?

Showing 2716-2730 of 3094