ForumsWEPR[nec]Christianity vs Atheism

3094 555486
kiddslayer12
kiddslayer12
70 posts
Nomad

I am a christian, i and i strongly belive in my lord jesus christ, and i also belive that if you belive in him and except him as your savior, u will go to heaven. and i also believe that he created the world, not the big bang, or that we came from stupid apes.

• 3,094 Replies
Leviathan019
Leviathan019
39 posts
Nomad

How can God commit an act that he has called a sin and still be good?

He can't. That would be contrary to His nature. Do you have an example in mind?
samy
samy
4,871 posts
Nomad

He can't. That would be contrary to His nature. Do you have an example in mind?

1. Go to bed.

2. The various genocides in the old testament come to mind, jealousy, pride, judgement, condemnation.

3. I'm actually going to bed so we can talk more tomorrow.

4. Seriously go to bed.
Leviathan019
Leviathan019
39 posts
Nomad

Very good advice. Yes, we will definitely have to talk more tomorrow, and flesh out this argument. I've heard it all the time, but it'd be nice to go through it and think it out.

BlackVortex
BlackVortex
1,360 posts
Nomad

I love it, all the Christians in this thread bending and altering their story along the way, digging bits out of the Bible, and using them to argue a completely invalid point, then directing the subject towards prayers, morality etc, all things which have no relation to the validity of God's existence, therefore the whole basis of the Christian religion.

As God isn't real, and the Bible is full of man written crap by delusional theists before science could help humans out and explain the unknown things which occurred at the time, they needed an explanation, "OH NO, NOBODY KNOWS"
Man comes along, creates God, writes few pages of book, passes book along to more theists, more pages get written etc.
So now whenever something strange happens 'God did it'.
But guess what, now they can be explained, and have been, the fictional character named God is no longer needed

Sure some of the verses may make sense, mainly because they are so vague, and there's bound to be a few, within the 1000+ pages of the Bible.

As you can clearly see within many of the pages of this thread, all the main stories which God's existence, and all his 'doings' are based upon, have no reality behind it at all, he dropped water from the sky and flooded the world, then made it all magically disappear after?
WOW, yet you have such trouble believing the simple concept of Evolution?

Scientists have dis-proven so many of the 'stories' told within the Bible, acts created by this so called God, the sole reason they can't totally disprove the existence of God altogether is because he doesn't exist, and never has, therefore making it impossible, and even if it were possible, I would bet most Christians would STILL go up against it, just face it.. we are absolutely random, a creation of the universe expanding and not with any purpose in mind by some magical being up in the skies, no heaven, no hell, no purgatory, no miracles, everything is absolutely random.

We just live, then we die.

^ Another fact that can't be dis-proven, or proven, kinda like God..
Nobody can die then come back to life to tell us what happens (yet)
So we don't know what happens for sure, but I think I can safely say that we don't appear in front of golden gates in the sky, or fiery ones inside the centre of the Earth. < LOL, weird Christians

Anyway, I'd love to join the argument, but I myself haven't studied the Bible, or even read it all for that matter, for the same reason I wouldn't study my own a**hole in a mirror.
They're both full of *beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep*

Please, I beg you, prove me wrong, for thou art...erm... *End*

MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,462 posts
Farmer

What about the third option I said? That there is no difference between what is moral and what is God's nature. That leaves no room for subjectivity.

We are still left with all the examples of where morality is subjective. In fact the argument on slavery in the Bible and how it was acceptable back then and reprehensible now is a clear example of such subjectivity.

I'm saying that God should be able to, in his infinite wisdom, create a way for freewill to exist without causing all that is wrong with the world.

For instance we could have been hardwired not to sin rather then to do so as suggested that we are.

Something along the lines of creating a child even though you know one day it's have sex in your bed. Well maybe not, but all the same would you rather be alive in this world of death or non-existent?

Besides what wolf said given the latter I don't think I would be caring.

That he should be able to does not mean that he should choose to. I don't think it's a necessarily safe assumption to assume that things would simply be better that way.

You mean it wouldn't be better if say a baby wasn't born with a severe congenital deformity and just lived a short painful life?

And further, God has a very different perspective on the universe, and may have reasons we can't even imagine for allowing the universe to function as it does. So long as the possibility exists that he has a reason for what he does, I can't assume that he's wrong for doing so.

So your saying if exists God could have had a good reason to F'up creation? If we can't go making assumptions then we can't say he was right or even exists at all.

Murdering people just for the sake of jealousy is a sin for us, yes. But even before guessing as to what His reasons could be for doing so, it's fair to ask why you expect God to be held by the same moral commandments he passed on to us? He could have very good reasons why we are forbidden to do something ourselves, on our own, but He is within his rights to command it.

Many Christian claim these morals as absolutes. As such they would apply to everyone, including God. Saying otherwise is just special pleading and would indicate God either does not or can not live up to even lowly human standards.

From a Christian Apologetics organization called Stand To Reason.

Apologetic? About as bad as creation sites.

I suppose you could say that, if you could also say that the Bible is just a history book. But morality isn't the only thing that comes from God, so why do you think that's all he is?

I wouldn't even call it a history book.

And God didn't choose what people would do. He made the choice to create humanity, and it is up to us to make our own choices. Just like a parent raising a child, like Samy brought up.

But as stated previously he is doing so knowing full well what will happen.

This is slippery ground. It begs the question, What is our own morality?

It can be at times, our own morality is a subjective point.

Subjective to the individual, but at the same time believe that there is an absolute moral code. Perhaps God is a way for humans to define this code?

I have to say that's an interesting view on the matter.

The only way we can call something right or wrong is if we have an objective standard, outside of ourselves, to measure up against. This is a position that God fills.

Again slavery right or wrong? At one point it was considered acceptable, today it is not. There was no objectivity here to determine this.
How about stealing? This must surely be objectively wrong, but hey given the right circumstances say stealing so you don't starve then it's suddenly not so bad, at least to the person starving. The person or place that is being stolen from might not see it that way. So stealing so you don't starve is it morally okay or not okay?

As you can see depending on the situation and persons perspective on that situation what's moral can change, thus subjective.

I won't say that the Bible is never unclear on anything, that's certainly not true. But I won't admit that it's an ambiguous and contradictory mess. If there are specific contradictions that I can help make sense of for you, I'd be glad to help.

What's it say about kill/murder?

You make a good point. Questioning is always a good thing. But please don't assume that because you don't like the way things are, there isn't a reason that that's the way it is.

Why do you make the assumption God is real when no empirical evidence is presented?

What is freewill in a world without consequences?

There are plenty who do bad things and have good things happen to them while there are plenty who do good things and have bad things happen to them. it almost seems as if the consequences are arbitrary.

How so? If God is the standard for morality, and the Bible is His word to us, then hasn't he given us an understanding of true morality?

Slaves okay, having sex with slaves okay, nothing in there about child molesting. Yeah I'm going to do the moral thing and get me a preteen slave girl to have sex with... Wait, that doesn't make me feel good. Actually it kind of makes me feel a bit sick to my stomach to do. But there have been plenty of God faring people who have been completely fine doing just that. Guess my godless heathen ways must be getting in the way of my ability to live up to Gods morals.

In what way is morality separate from God?

You've said yourself you claim that an objective moral code governing us doesn't have to apply to God. This would mean he is separate from it.

What I would suggest is a third option. That morality is a part of His character. That His character is inherently good, He can't be evil.

If we are to say he is and has done what the Bible claims things like genocide sure don't sound like the act of good to me, even if those being killed were not good themselves. This being who created it all would only have himself to blame.

Then everything He commands is good, not because He wills it to be so, but because it's a part of who He is, and He can't command differently.

So commanding Mose to go wipe out a town was good?
Requiring human sacrifice just to say "your forgiven" is good?

But I believe that morality does lead to God. You seem to be saying that if morality comes from God, and we can sense morality, then we would have a tendency to believe in God. Can you say that we don't?

There are those with moral views without having a tendency to believe in God. Back when I was theistic my moral view points had nothing to do with my tendency to believe in a deity.

I love it, all the Christians in this thread bending and altering their story along the way, digging bits out of the Bible, and using them to argue a completely invalid point, then directing the subject towards prayers, morality etc, all things which have no relation to the validity of God's existence, therefore the whole basis of the Christian religion.

That's pretty much Christian apologetics in a nut shell.

we are absolutely random, a creation of the universe expanding and not with any purpose in mind by some magical being up in the skies, no heaven, no hell, no purgatory, no miracles, everything is absolutely random.

There are part of evolution that are not random at all, so i wouldn't say we are totally random.
BlackVortex
BlackVortex
1,360 posts
Nomad

There are part of evolution that are not random at all, so i wouldn't say we are totally random

Our creation and evolution is/was random, or not?
There was really no rule when the planets were 'created' that homo sapiens would eventually inhabit a place called Earth and sit on flash game site arguing the existence of a fictional being xD
Leviathan019
Leviathan019
39 posts
Nomad

As God isn't real, and the Bible is full of man written crap by delusional theists before science could help humans out and explain the unknown things which occurred at the time, they needed an explanation, "OH NO, NOBODY KNOWS"

You made a whole lot of claims and told a lot of stories, but you haven't backed it up at all. It's easy enough for you to say, but can you prove it?
Avorne
Avorne
3,085 posts
Nomad

You made a whole lot of claims and told a lot of stories, but you haven't backed it up at all. It's easy enough for you to say, but can you prove it?

You know what? That perfectly sums up the Bible!

-It makes a lot of claims and tells a lot of stories
-Most of them it doesn't back up at all
-It's all said so easily but yet none of it is proven
Leviathan019
Leviathan019
39 posts
Nomad

We are still left with all the examples of where morality is subjective. In fact the argument on slavery in the Bible and how it was acceptable back then and reprehensible now is a clear example of such subjectivity.

I read a good argument on this in this article.

God made rules to regulate the treatment of slaves, but does that mean that he condones it?

You mean it wouldn't be better if say a baby wasn't born with a severe congenital deformity and just lived a short painful life?

I believe I've already made my argument here that it isn't so simple. Naturally, if there is nothing bad, then it is good. But there can easily be reasons for the world as it is.

As you can see depending on the situation and persons perspective on that situation what's moral can change, thus subjective.

It's not so simple, because we don't live in a black and white world. There are many different situations where we can't avoid doing something bad, no matter what we choose. Are they any less bad? No, they aren't. It's our job to choose the best we can.

What's it say about kill/murder?

It says murder is a sin.

Why do you make the assumption God is real when no empirical evidence is presented?

Assumptions are unavoidable. I was cautioning him against a certain assumption.

There are plenty who do bad things and have good things happen to them while there are plenty who do good things and have bad things happen to them. it almost seems as if the consequences are arbitrary.

This is true, from our perspective. But our world doesn't work on karma, you don't do something wrong and then sometime soon something bad is naturally going to happen to you. It's a cruel world, and things don't turn out the way we'd like.

But that doesn't mean that we aren't ultimately held accountable for the things we do.

Apologetic? About as bad as creation sites.

How so?

Many Christian claim these morals as absolutes. As such they would apply to everyone, including God.

There is also an important difference between what is Law and what is Good. I've already made the argument that God reserves certain abilities for himself.

You've said yourself you claim that an objective moral code governing us doesn't have to apply to God. This would mean he is separate from it.

I haven't said that. See my above comment to clarify.

That's pretty much Christian apologetics in a nut shell.

That's how it's often argued, not how it should be.
Leviathan019
Leviathan019
39 posts
Nomad

You know what? That perfectly sums up the Bible!

What makes you think that?
Avorne
Avorne
3,085 posts
Nomad

I've stated my reasons - perhaps you didn't read them. They're underneath that sentence.

Leviathan019
Leviathan019
39 posts
Nomad

-It makes a lot of claims and tells a lot of stories
-Most of them it doesn't back up at all
-It's all said so easily but yet none of it is proven

What makes you believe that?
Avorne
Avorne
3,085 posts
Nomad

It makes claims about the existence of God, Jesus, Holy Spirit, Earth and everything else Created in 6 days, rising from the dead, walking on water, etc... And the Bible is composed of stories supposedly chronicling the life and times of God and Jeebus.

Many of these claims aren't backed up by any real evidence at all - they're just put forth (said so easily) and not proven in any way shape or form.

SirNoobalot
SirNoobalot
22,207 posts
Nomad

is god the all-knowing?
or does predestination apply?

if either of those apply, then in creating the angel Lucifer, later renamed Satan, then did God not know, from the beginning, that Lucifer would rebel against god and try to overthrow him? did he not just create evil, knowing full well about it, and not do a thing? did he not create the deaths of millions of people, when god created evil?

SirNoobalot
SirNoobalot
22,207 posts
Nomad

no answers?

hmm that could be a sign....

Showing 2731-2745 of 3094