ForumsWEPR[nec]Christianity vs Atheism

3094 508009
kiddslayer12
kiddslayer12
70 posts
Nomad

I am a christian, i and i strongly belive in my lord jesus christ, and i also belive that if you belive in him and except him as your savior, u will go to heaven. and i also believe that he created the world, not the big bang, or that we came from stupid apes.

• 3,094 Replies
Kody
Kody
60 posts
Nomad

You do realize that many in the south fought the war thinking they were doing gods will, I mean genuinely thinking that? Many of them were cruel to there slaves.

And you do realize that terrorists believe that they are doing God's will? Just because they think they are doesn't mean they are. And you do know that there were some people in the South who didn't fight in the war? It wasn't a universal belief.
HahiHa
HahiHa
8,259 posts
Regent

It was not word of mouth. You are aware that Moses wrote the first several books of the Bible. Key word: wrote.

According to the writings, yes. Is this your only 'roof'?
314d1
314d1
3,817 posts
Nomad

It was not word of mouth. You are aware that Moses wrote the first several books of the Bible. Key word: wrote.

Allegedly. It could have been anyone, really.

Didn't you read my post? I said the Crusades were bad.
When I said "noble goal" I meant in thought, not action. It was a nice thought, having the city where Biblical events took place in Christian hands, but that's just it: it's a place. It's yet another physical thing that has no value regarding salvation.

You said that they had a just goal, getting the "holy city" back. Thats the same goal many Muslim's have, so what is the difference?
HahiHa
HahiHa
8,259 posts
Regent

According to the writings, yes. Is this your only 'roof'?

Forget that, getting too much into details here...
Kody
Kody
60 posts
Nomad

The fact that we have a Bible that matches up so well with the Dead Sea scrolls? If the Bible's meaning isn't manipulated and diluted over one to two thousand years, I doubt Moses could have changed the meaning in the 900 years of his life.

314d1
314d1
3,817 posts
Nomad

The fact that we have a Bible that matches up so well with the Dead Sea scrolls? If the Bible's meaning isn't manipulated and diluted over one to two thousand years, I doubt Moses could have changed the meaning in the 900 years of his life.

And what makes you think Moses wrote them?

And its extremely diluted in that time. For example, we have some Bibles that claim Noah's flood rose all waters about 30 feet, witch not only is not enough to cover any mountains but would be safe in pretty much all the world, wile others say thirty feet above the highest mountains, witch is a few thousand feet difference.
HahiHa
HahiHa
8,259 posts
Regent

If the Bible's meaning isn't manipulated and diluted over one to two thousand years, I doubt Moses could have changed the meaning in the 900 years of his life.

I'm not sure if I got this right.. you don't really believe he lived 900 years, do you?
Kody
Kody
60 posts
Nomad

900 years of his life.

I'm sorry, I got Moses mixed up with Noah (I'm tired) Moses lived to be less than 150...I can't remember the exact number.
Allegedly. It could have been anyone, really.

Of course it could have been. But Moses wasn't the only one who was around at the time. Just like there are people to keep sources in check today (something you guys know quite a bit about ) there were probably people back then who would have said, "hey wait a minute, we never got water from a rock!"
Kody
Kody
60 posts
Nomad

You said that they had a just goal, getting the "holy city" back. Thats the same goal many Muslim's have, so what is the difference?
Once again, I said they had a noble goal in theory. But we never should have gone to war over it. The Muslims that you are referring to have other ideas.
And its extremely diluted in that time. For example, we have some Bibles that claim Noah's flood rose all waters about 30 feet, witch not only is not enough to cover any mountains but would be safe in pretty much all the world, wile others say thirty feet above the highest mountains, witch is a few thousand feet difference.

Which Bibles say that it only rose 30 feet exactly?
314d1
314d1
3,817 posts
Nomad

The KJV

7:20 Fifteen cubits upward did the waters prevail; and the mountains were covered.

They must have pretty small mountains, as a cubit is only the lenth of your hand to your elbow, I believe, about two feet. Thus the watters rose only thirty feet.

Kody
Kody
60 posts
Nomad

Although there is no Biblical reference (I know you're going to slam me for this) the literal translation is: "The water prevailed fifteen cubits higher, and the mountains were covered." Some believe that this means 15 cubits higher than the mountain summits. The ark was 30 cubits high and the 15 feet could be specifically mentioned to let the reader know that the ark could pass over the summits of the mountains.

Kody
Kody
60 posts
Nomad

To be honest I can't debate the NIV's validity because I personally think that it is a poor translation. It quite obviously contradicts other, more trustworthy translations such as the KJV and NASB.

Kody
Kody
60 posts
Nomad

Yeah I was just reading that. And the Complete Jewish Bible reads:

7:20 the water covered the mountains by more than twenty-two-and-a-half feet.

I just noticed that the NIV said "more than" which makes is consistent with the 15 cubits.
deserteagle
deserteagle
1,633 posts
Nomad

ahh... Noah's Ark... great fodder.

30 cubits (60 feet) is nowhere even close to holding all the world's species. not to mention, holding all the food and water required to keep everyone alive. Plus, Noah would have had to build and aquarium for the fish. The fresh water rain/salt water rain would have changed the salinity of the water and the fish would perish. You can try this at home kids; take a slat shaker, and put slat in goldy's fish tank. Now watch him go belly up!

Not to mention, Mount Everest is roughly30,000 feet above sea level. Even if you melted all the ice and exacted all the ground water in the world, there would not be enough water to raise the oceans 30,020 feet. Also at that elevation, Noah better be handing out oxygen masks. Also after the flood, where the hell did all that water go? The sun would have to teleport several millions of miles to get the Earth's average temp from 72 degrees to 212 degrees to boil the water,and then teleport back to the regular position.

Side note: 2 of each animal would destroy the gene pool. Inbreeding results in genetic impurities. Look at the Russian Czars. Royal Family inbreeding gave them Hemophilia. Also, how did Kangaroos, Polar Bears, and Penguins get to the Middle East and Survive the desert heat?

Kody
Kody
60 posts
Nomad

FYI the Complete Jewish Bible was a project to translate the bible directly from Hebrew. The Jewish part in the name is referring to Messianic Jews (Jewish people that believe in Christ) so the NT isn't weird or anything.

Also the Latin Vulagte reads:

quindecim cubitis altior fuit aqua super montes quos operuerat

I took a year of Latin, so I can't do an exact translation, but I can translate "fifteen cubits" "above the mountains" and something about the water, probably "the water...ascended?".
So "the water ascended (maybe ascended) fifteen cubits above the mountains."
Showing 2551-2565 of 3094