ForumsGamesLegend of Zelda: Link Between Worlds

22 21181
NoNameC68
NoNameC68
5,043 posts
Shepherd

On Friday, Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds was released. I purchased it late in the evening and have just now completed it.

Sadly, I have not yet played LoZ: A Link To The Past. This game takes place in the same world and is supposed to be a nostalgic trip for those who have. But you don't need to play A Link To The Past to enjoy this game.

LBW follows the basic LoZ formula. You play as a chap in green clothes fighting his way through numerous dungeons collecting important items to defeat the final baddie. Unlike most other LoZ games, most of the dungeons can be completed in whichever order you want - which is reminiscent to the original LoZ game released for the NES.

While playing LBW, you might feel like Nintendo is going overboard with coin collecting - or in this case, rupee gathering. You'll find yourself gathering hundreds of rupees between quests. But, unlike most other LoZ games, those rupees won't be gathering dust in your pocket. For the first time while playing Legend of Zelda, rupees actually played a pretty big role in the game. I actually found myself short on rupees numerous times. But, being short on rupees isn't a problem - as you can progress without spending a single one if you really wanted to (as far as I'm aware).

Lastly, there's the ending. It's good.

So who else bought this game? How much did you enjoy it?

• 22 Replies
Loptice
Loptice
242 posts
Peasant

I'm actually not sure if I should buy this or Bravely Default.. How long does it take to beat the game with all sidequests, heart containers etc. ?
I expect both games to be really good so the length may be the deciding factor for me.

NoNameC68
NoNameC68
5,043 posts
Shepherd

I beat the game in about 17 hours. It would probably take about 18 to 20 hours to collect everything during your first play through.

Freakenstein
Freakenstein
9,507 posts
Jester

For the first time while playing Legend of Zelda, rupees actually played a pretty big role in the game. I actually found myself short on rupees numerous times. But, being short on rupees isn't a problem - as you can progress without spending a single one if you really wanted to (as far as I'm aware).

If you count the horrible CD-i games as canon, then this would actually be the second time Rupees would be spent lavishly :P
R2D21999
R2D21999
18,319 posts
Treasurer

As a Zelda fan I very much want this game. But alas, not having a 3DS or 2DS stops me from getting it.

NoNameC68
NoNameC68
5,043 posts
Shepherd

If you count the horrible CD-i games as canon, then this would actually be the second time Rupees would be spent lavishly :P

We don't speak of... those...
Drink
Drink
1,622 posts
Blacksmith

i played every zelda game up to twilight princess [or phantom hour glass whichever came out last between those two] but im gunna borrow skyward sword and spirit trAcks from my friend then borrow link between worlds. im a big zelda fan although i never beat a single one -_-

pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,808 posts
Jester

I've played one Zelda game (wind waker) and part of OOT.

Wind Waker - played with half brother, his gamecube didn't have a memory card, so we'd have to keep it on overnights. Got to the part with the tornadoes or something..? I don't know it's been a while.

OOT - on Vizzed..game is dang hard to play on keyboard...

Seeing gameplay for this game..not sure how I feel about him being able to be a part of the wall or whatever it is.

NoNameC68
NoNameC68
5,043 posts
Shepherd

Seeing gameplay for this game..not sure how I feel about him being able to be a part of the wall or whatever it is.

I have no problem with this ability at all. It's mostly used to navigate terrain, but it's also used for a bunch of puzzles as well as a few boss fights. The ability was never a burden to use, and it never got old because it became second nature. When the novelty wore off, it didn't become a hindrance, it just felt normal.
Jacen96
Jacen96
3,087 posts
Bard

OOT - on Vizzed..game is dang hard to play on keyboard...

Lol, I just used my wii.

~~~Darth Caedus
Salvidian
Salvidian
4,170 posts
Farmer

Doubt it'll be comparable to SS or OOT, but I'll give it a shot. As a hardcore Zelda fan I try to keep up with all of Link's adventures.

pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,808 posts
Jester

I have no problem with this ability at all. It's mostly used to navigate terrain, but it's also used for a bunch of puzzles as well as a few boss fights. The ability was never a burden to use, and it never got old because it became second nature. When the novelty wore off, it didn't become a hindrance, it just felt normal

My point was, suddenly the hero has a magical ability that really doesn't add much to the games spare for this -specific- game which was designed for this power.

Doubt it'll be comparable to SS or OOT, but I'll give it a shot. As a hardcore Zelda fan I try to keep up with all of Link's adventures.

*Zelda's adventures =^)
Salvidian
Salvidian
4,170 posts
Farmer

*Zelda's adventures =^)

lol wat r u a n00b go ply ur gaem an c whoe iz da maen kerecter rely iz
Jacen96
Jacen96
3,087 posts
Bard

lol wat r u a n00b go ply ur gaem an c whoe iz da maen kerecter rely iz

But what if zelda was a girl?

Btw, does anyone else wanna see a female link? (it'd be interesting)

~~~Darth Caedus
NoNameC68
NoNameC68
5,043 posts
Shepherd

My point was, suddenly the hero has a magical ability that really doesn't add much to the games spare for this -specific- game which was designed for this power.

I'm still a bit confused as to what you mean by "add much to the games". I don't see how any addition would add onto past games that were already released. >.>

If you're afraid the devs focused more on making the gimmick work than the rest of the game, worry not. Yes, the game is built around your ability to meld into walls, but you still have a variety of puzzles as well as items necessary to complete these puzzles. Everything in the game feels very Zelda-esque.

If you enjoyed playing as Zelda in past games, you're going to LOVE playing as him in this game. I bet if you played the game for a while, you would say to yourself, "Huh, this isn't nearly as intrusive as I thought it would be... it's not intrusive at all."
FreckledTerror
FreckledTerror
57 posts
Peasant

This game looks awesome, I want it badly. I have yet to play A Link To The Past, also, but I will get that game later on Virtual Console.

Showing 1-15 of 22