ForumsNews and Feedback[Official] What is a Knight?

396 191786
Ferret
Ferret
9,323 posts
Bard

'Knighthood': What is a 'Knight'? And what does 'Knighthood' mean?

'Knighthood' and the title 'Knight' is bestowed upon a user that has shown exemplary deeds and outstanding behavior as a member of the Armor Games Community. This exclusive title is only granted to those users that have earned a special place among the citizens of the Kingdom.

How do I become a Knight?

Care about the community and other users and catch the eye of moderators or admins, they are the ones who choose who is Knighted. Don't ask to be Knighted, that's a good way not to be Knighted.

What can Knights do?

-They have access to a Knight-only Forum.
-They have access to Knight-only armatars
-Special forum coloring and badge.
-Knight Gilding

I'll add more to this sticky if there are further Questions.

• 396 Replies
pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,808 posts
Jester

So while the hooplah over what's his face is going on is anyone going to explain why sirlegendary was knighted?
I imagine the answer is going to involve his forum activity? Fine and dandy given me a month and I'll spam forum games too.

To Matt, I'd like to point out that there isn't really much authority involved here. The closest knighthood gets to authority is having new users mistake them for the real authorities, and last I checked, there wasn't anything special about the knights-only forum.

So that begs the question that if knighthood has such a lack of authority that that fact can be used as an excuse for this recent knighting, why even have knights in the first place?

Freakenstein
Freakenstein
9,507 posts
Jester

So that begs the question that if knighthood has such a lack of authority that that fact can be used as an excuse for this recent knighting, why even have knights in the first place?

Are Knights meant to be given authority over normal users to be useful as a title? We give extra privileges to knights so that these privileges can be feasible, but they are still just users. Of course these privileges have to be earned. Privileges being given to users who aren't qualified can be abused, but as I've said above, not in the same magnitude as the abuse one can do with being a moderator. In these two ways, it is necessary to separate Knights from Normal Users.

weirdlike
weirdlike
1,299 posts
Prince

Both users have shown exemplary deeds and outstanding behavior in their own way. Which definitely caught my eye. I fully support both knighting and encourage users to go out and write excellent reviews or come up with other interesting ways to generate positive activity.

pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,808 posts
Jester

Are Knights meant to be given authority over normal users to be useful as a title?

I don't really care if they do or not, but my response was towards Fish's remark about their lack of authority..as if that makes the decision any better.

positivity activity

Positive? What does that mean in this context?
Are we assuming there is a way a user can create activity that actually decreases overall activity? Seems neigh impossible.
Are we talking about like positive as in stay away from sounding like a stormcloak member?
Or pisitivie like a hand holding echo chamber?

Freakenstein
Freakenstein
9,507 posts
Jester

Not necessarily a year, but at least enough time to establish a reputation. It would have made sense if he had a reputation prior to this, but he does not.

Knights need a reputation? Where does it say that? The OP's quote

This exclusive title is only granted to those users that have earned a special place among the citizens of the Kingdom

Is not meant to be taken literally.

The amount of work is not relevant. He said he would provide content on a regular basis. He hasn't and isn't.

And I thought you said the amount of work is not relevant.

I have no opinion on increasing or decreasing the Knight's privileges, nor is it relevant. The point is that the current benefits are not beneficial to him, giving you even less reason to knight him.

The current benefits are beneficial to him in our eyes, for the benefits we give him would be very useful to flash game developers. Are you saying you know more about what's beneficial to him more than he does? Because that is really, really shallow and egotistical of you.

Which has already been reviewed and found minimal.

Sorry, no it's not minimal, because he then wouldn't have been knighted. Only you think it's minimal.

Have you read all thirteen of his reviews?

Every single one. But then again, I can't say that his reviews contributed to his Knighthood, because someone has said that content doesn't matter.

As for &quotassion," I can think of at least two people who have displayed a passion for something here, though to a much more consistent extent. Apparently passion and examples are the only prerequisites, because many, many users surpass the data on his profile.

No, those aren't the prerequisites to being a Knight.

Knights have at least one basic duty: "They often come to help those in need." So there is authority, albeit in a small sense.

This is just a fervent description of Knights. Helping users is not an authority. Our fervent description of Moderators says we carry a shield of truth, but none of us actually carry shields. "This is it guys, the evidence we need to show the admins that moderators have been chosen poorly!"

pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,808 posts
Jester

where it's NASTY. Seriously, sometimes the AG comment section can get as bad as the Youtube comment section, and that's saying something. And he chooses to stay and review despite what he has to see anyway

I've had conversations with people in regards to their actions on the comment section..which, to ensure my words aren't construed wrongly, means I have taken many of those "recon missions".

king of count to 100

Surely this is a joke, no?

SirLegendary
SirLegendary
16,583 posts
Duke

So while the hooplah over what's his face is going on is anyone going to explain why sirlegendary was knighted?
I imagine the answer is going to involve his forum activity? Fine and dandy given me a month and I'll spam forum games too.

@pangtongshu

Just because I like to play a lot of forum games, doesn't mean I spam them. Yes some forum games require posts with less than three words, but a lot of the other ones don't. I have contributed greatly to the arts forum, where I got most of my merits. I regularly go there and enter the contests. I'm sorry, but I don't just go to forum games. I do my part in other forums. I've been doing my part, but my list doesn't just stop there. If you feel the need to really know how I've contributed, let me know. I'm sorry you feel this way about the new knights, but I never asked to be talked about in this manner. If you don't mind, I'd like you to not say such things about me so ignorantly.

pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,808 posts
Jester

You are a part of a "tournament" that encourages spamming. Ironically enough AP was removed because people were doing just as that thread is.
If you have Amy inquiries about why I'm a grouch about this sort of activity ask anyone that has been around for my existence on the forums and they'll (hopefully) tell you about how I absolutely detest spam

Yes some forum games require posts with less than three words,

There is a reason forum games didn't count towards post count and there is a reason many of us have advocated for it to have stayed that way. Aside from the role playing games, the entire nature of forum games is spam.
And let's not kid ourselves here..before forum posts were retroactively counted towards post count you had some odd 3,000-4,000 posts. Even still a good chunk of those were from the brief period forum games counted towards posts. I gett that having a high post count is cool and all...your situation actually reminds me of Terry; except he was a little more self aware.

I have contributed greatly to the arts forum, where I got most of my merits.

It's as if you don't know me ;(. I had a reputation as a nomad in the forums for a reason. Every section (bar programmers) was a home to me. Ive seen you in the AMW, I'm aware of this fact. I'm also aware that AMW is a hollowed shell of what it once was, and is a great representation of the hugbox echo chamber* this place has been turning into. I'll agree that you have contributed to the AMW...but I'd be hard pressed to add "greatly".
(Reminder: someone once erupted in a fit of rage because I offered their work some criticism )

I've been doing my part

What does this even mean? Your part? This is a forum we have no roles here other than post/discuss. Any sort of perceived obligation is of no value.

let me know

Were you one of those that approved of your knightship?

but I never asked to be talked about in this manner

I'm sorry I'll make sure to write you an email (contract included) so that you can sign and date my waiver to discuss anything that may or may not pertain to you or your person.

SirLegendary
SirLegendary
16,583 posts
Duke

You are a part of a "tournament" that encourages spamming. Ironically enough AP was removed because people were doing just as that thread is.
If you have Amy inquiries about why I'm a grouch about this sort of activity ask anyone that has been around for my existence on the forums and they'll (hopefully) tell you about how I absolutely detest spam

Yeah but, so is R2 though no one seems to be giving him a hard time. In fact, wait a minute, he has at least 5,000 posts more than I do? When I got knighted how did that become such a big deal?

There is a reason forum games didn't count towards post count and there is a reason many of us have advocated for it to have stayed that way. Aside from the role playing games, the entire nature of forum games is spam.
And let's not kid ourselves here..before forum posts were retroactively counted towards post count you had some odd 3,000-4,000 posts. Even still a good chunk of those were from the brief period forum games counted towards posts. I gett that having a high post count is cool and all...your situation actually reminds me of Terry; except he was a little more self aware.

Yeah and I get your reasoning, but it's not like anyone plays to have a higher post count, not that I do at least. You're looking at my being there often from a perspective of play for high post count, when what I've been really doing all along is high post count because I play (a lot). I actually don't mind if they suddenly take away FG posts counting towards overall posts, I would still go there as often as I do now. Yes I love FGs, and I have pride in it. Also, if FG's place was really that bad, why not take down the tavern too? I mean that place holds as much sense as the FG's. (not that it can be measured, but look at it now.)

It's as if you don't know me ;(. I had a reputation as a nomad in the forums for a reason. Every section (bar programmers) was a home to me. Ive seen you in the AMW, I'm aware of this fact. I'm also aware that AMW is a hollowed shell of what it once was, and is a great representation of the hugbox echo chamber* this place has been turning into. I'll agree that you have contributed to the AMW...but I'd be hard pressed to add "greatly".
(Reminder: someone once erupted in a fit of rage because I offered their work some criticism )

Oh well, it's as if you don't know me either. I'm nice to people, I hate fighting, and I love making new friends along the way. Look I never meant to aggravate you okay? So down to business. Yeah, it's not what it once was, but the recent winner's works are still just as good as the ones from the past. Also, okay maybe I haven't contributed "greatly", but I have significantly.

What does this even mean? Your part? This is a forum we have no roles here other than post/discuss. Any sort of perceived obligation is of no value.

My part being contributions, and my just being around. Fine no obligations, but I feel like I've done my part as a user of this place well enough to deserve this, which I am grateful for, even though I didn't expect it so soon. Oddly enough, I always thought you might be knighted years before me (which is how much I respect you).

Were you one of those that approved of your knightship?

Nope, but it's not like I didn't put effort into being here. ;(

I'm sorry I'll make sure to write you an email (contract included) so that you can sign and date my waiver to discuss anything that may or may not pertain to you or your person.

Okay I'll make sure to have my personal assistant let me know right away.

xerox
xerox
715 posts
Bard

"Should community members be active for a year before we decide "Oh, I suppose they are good people"? We've also had community members that have been here for years and then go off the deep end."

uh uh, Thats me , right

now chop chop, can we stop the drama?

Those who get knighted, deserved it in some way. this is not a single decision, its group decision. If the knighted user does not contribute, but yet the opposite, drops all what he worked for, Moderators have to apologise piblically in a thread that they were wrong! (Probably give merits to everone that said he should not be knighted ? Eh .. no ?)

For me, everyone who is here for more than 5 years and is active weekly deserves to be a Knight. Why ? Because you have to be really dedicated to the site and it's games , to keep playing them for years and years. No regular user would do that!

Jacen96
Jacen96
3,087 posts
Bard

So, I try not to get into these things, because I don't care for politics. However, this is getting out of hand.

Someone made a mistake, and a completely undeserved knighthood was passed out. Who got that knighthood? A person with 10 game ratings, 25 quests, 7 comments, 6 fairly indepth reviews, and one merit. A promising start for sure, but is it really worthy of knight hood?

When knights were introduced, I was onboard with the program, it sounded like a great way to recognize the pillars of our community. To recognize those members who the rest congregate around. R2D21999, I would recognize as a knight because he has been around a while and brings good discussion in his appearances. In a different vein, Patric2011 also fits as a knight because he is always there to banish misinformation and replace it with information. These are examples of good knights.

However, today I learned that 2 days ago, a mod saw fit to promote a brand new member to knight hood. He hasn't done anything special to make him a pillar of the community. This is not to say that his reviews are valueless, I will admit they are a good effort, just not worthy of knighthood.

Here's what I propose:

ADMIT THE MISTAKE, the promotion was hasty and unjustified
and
Give the man what is suitable, a recognition for a one time effort to improve the community, the newest program known as blessings. This is something he deserves. This idea is not originally mine but it is the logical course.

~~~Darth Caedus

pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,808 posts
Jester

Yeah but, so is R2 though no one seems to be giving him a hard time. In fact, wait a minute, he has at least 5,000 posts more than I do? When I got knighted how did that become such a big deal?

We've had our uproar over r2 being knighted. I've personally.given him plenty of harp over his spamming... We've had a conversation about his habits.

Okay I'll make sure to have my personal assistant let me know right away

Im just going to assume you understood my statement.

SSTG
SSTG
13,055 posts
Treasurer

I don't know who Verwaltung is but if he was knighted, there must be a reason.
He could be someone who helped by making game levels, which I did too.
He could have helped with programming or something related to AG.
He could have been invited to join by an AG admin and rewarded by being knighted for whatever help he provided.

There's no point in freaking out about it because you don't know all the facts.

xerox
xerox
715 posts
Bard

Pangtongshu deserves to be knighted

xerox
xerox
715 posts
Bard

@SSTG They say they made him, because he made 6 game reviews c: (thats the official version)

Showing 271-285 of 396