ForumsWEPR[Are We Screwed Yet?] 2016 US Presidential Election

260 99644
nichodemus
nichodemus
14,987 posts
Grand Duke

I figured let's create a master thread for the world event of the year. After all, who won't be watching people jockey viciously for the position of most powerful person in the world?

As of now the situation is as thus:

Republican - Trump running ahead of the pack surprisingly.
Democrat - Less clear, Clinton and Sanders are still duking it out, though Clinton has many more super-delegates to her name.

So this is a thread to post about anything related to the race. Have a favourite candidate to plump for? Feel the system is biased? Angry at the political establishment? Post it here. Hopefully we can get more discussion going when things get heated up!

Personally of all the candidates, I like Clinton the most, and failing that, Trump. Of course, like is a very subjective and relative word.

-Latest-

Republican
Trump: 329
Cruz:231
Rubio: 110
Kasich: 25
Carson: Dropped out

Democrat

Counting Super Delegates
Clinton: 1066
Sanders: 432

• 260 Replies
Doombreed
Doombreed
7,022 posts
Templar

^ yup.

It's official.

-_-

Just...just...

nichodemus
nichodemus
14,987 posts
Grand Duke

A winner takes all situation makes sense for a two party country. If we went by proportio, even Obama wouldn't have won by a landslide in the past two elections since the popular vote was still relatively close. It'll only mean that most US elections would result in an almost even split in the electoral college, given the rather partisan nature of US politics.

Doombreed
Doombreed
7,022 posts
Templar

A winner takes all situation makes sense for a two party country. If we went by proportio, even Obama wouldn't have won by a landslide in the past two elections since the popular vote was still relatively close. It'll only mean that most US elections would result in an almost even split in the electoral college, given the rather partisan nature of US politics.

Ι suppose you are right in this case. But to have only two parties is not exactly good anyway, I feel many people in these elections voted for a politician they did not like to keep another politician they did not like out... Maybe the change in this electoral system needs to be more radical but I think a change is in order at any rate

Doombreed
Doombreed
7,022 posts
Templar

Also, excuse the double post, but I have to post my funny experience from the whole thing

As a friend of mine logged into a betting site yesterday to check on some matches (he bets a lot on soccer games and occasionally wins too), we found out that there was an option to bet on a candidate in the US Presidential Elections xD Trump would pay off 5 times the sum so we all briefly considered it, betting a small amount, about 2 - 5 Euros to get 10 - 25 back But then we decided it wasn't worth it, since Hilary's pay off was 1.2 and all polls showed her as the most likely winner -_- I suppose after the Greek Referendum and most importantly, Brexit, we should have known better... But oh well, look at me complaining about not earning money during the end of an era

nichodemus
nichodemus
14,987 posts
Grand Duke

Too many parties could bring an even bigger split with the final winner not having an absolute majority. It's all a pain in the neck.

Last4Skull
Last4Skull
2,265 posts
King

It's just a show, they were both really corrupted so it's like choose in evil or evil x'D
I tend to remark they used the same system in my country they put someone and someone worst and the goal is to let people vote for the least bad one.

It's not what I call democracy but more like Hey did you want to vote for something bad or something more bad ? I really think the after elections would be interesting it will be submission or a real revolution from the people.

I think if the things moves in a good way in America, if they just push the right domino, all others country could do the same like an inspirating move and maybe this time we could make a better world together, at least it's what I wish !

HahiHa
HahiHa
8,259 posts
Regent

I knew it! That demonic-looking fairy space-critter I encountered yesterday in No Man's Sky really was a sign of impending doom

Seriously though, this is bad, not only for America... he said he would put the coal industry back on it's feet, which would impact the whole planet. How much he really can do, considering the Paris climate treaty is already signed, I do not know, but I'm still worried.

The only positive aspect of what little politics he did utter, is that he might reconsider or even stop the free trade agreements negotiations with Europe. That might actually be a good thing, in my opinion.

We'll have to see what he will do now that he has actual responsibilities, I guess.

SirLegendary
SirLegendary
16,583 posts
Duke

To everybody in the states, it's just choosing between which is the lesser evil. That's what I believe is going on.

Last4Skull
Last4Skull
2,265 posts
King

@Hahiha you made me laugh with that fairy x'D

@SirLegendary seems we are thinking the same

Don't worry guys I'm sure we can change this world together whitout those guys

SirLegendary
SirLegendary
16,583 posts
Duke

Feels like they are going to change the world without the world's opinion.

mamibo
mamibo
686 posts
Scribe

I dunno how other countries feel, but Russia is much safer now that Trump was elected. We're close to celebrating, actually.
Because now there is hope we will no longer be reffered to as " prime danger of this world", "lawless thugs" and "cruel swine".
And perhaps, NATO won't attack us.

And if so, I won't have to die fighting other inocent people from other countries. That is a good thing when you don't have to die, right? And more so, kill.

So yeah.

Last4Skull
Last4Skull
2,265 posts
King

Yeah mamibo war are really awful.. I really don't want to fight against people like you !

@SirLegendary if is the case it's not democracy and I don't think people will let doing that another 5 years we're all used of being screwed.

You make a good point though seems that trump doesn't want war with Russia it's a good thing in my opinion.

nichodemus
nichodemus
14,987 posts
Grand Duke

Well 11,000 Americans voted for Harambe. And voter turnout as usual, isn't very high.

You make the bed you lie in America! Don't get why compulsory voting isn't made law - with the option of voting for neither candidate of course. Democracy is there for you to choose your leader, jolly well haul your bum off and do it!

minecraftsniper
minecraftsniper
697 posts
Herald

America as the option not to vote or vote for a third party , still i think msot of them did the morb mentallity or however its called , making Trump win in my opinion both of them were apretty corrupted , they had a chance to have Sanders as president , but most americans voted for Trump so no one is to blame about this but them

nichodemus
nichodemus
14,987 posts
Grand Duke

Tbf, in Florida where third parties took about 4% of the vote, many of them would have voted for Trump if Jill/Johnson weren't there.

Wake up call for Democrats and the world. Trump has been toning down his rhetoric alot so there might be some hope.

Showing 31-45 of 260