ForumsNews and FeedbackIdea: Named Ranking System.

134 45908
Ferret
Ferret
9,323 posts
Bard

Hey all. I put together an idea for ranks, let me know your thoughts.

#0 - Nomad
#1 - Peasant
#2 - Shepherd
#3 - Farmer
#4 - Blacksmith
#5 - Jester
#6 - Scribe
#7 - Bard
#8 - Herald
#9 - Constable
#10 - Treasurer
#11 - Templar
#12 - Justiciar
#13 - Chancellor
#14 - Chamberlain
#15 - Lord & Lady
#16 - Baron & Baroness
#17 - Count & Countess
#18 - Marquis & Marquise
#19 - Duke & Duchess
#20 - Archduke & Archduchess
#21 - Grand Duke & Grand Duchess
#22 - Viceroy & Vicereine
#23 - Regent
#24 - Prince & Princess
#25 - King & Queen

NOTE: If you have an idea for ranking system titles, please post it below for all to see.

• 134 Replies
HahiHa
HahiHa
8,259 posts
Regent

• The correct spelling of #2 is 'shepherd'
  • I still think #18 feels out of place

Other than that, I like it.
dorukayhan
dorukayhan
1,318 posts
Bard

we won't be giving any ranks to people who break rules

uh... does getting banned temporarily in the past count?

Swarmlord2
Swarmlord2
2,081 posts
Marquis

@doqck Ferret was referring to the idea of special ranks being given to rule-breakers, not removing regular ranks from them.

Doombreed
Doombreed
7,022 posts
Templar

I still think #18 feels out of place

How about Marquis? Don't know the "female" form of the word though...

HahiHa
HahiHa
8,259 posts
Regent

How about Marquis? Don't know the "female" form of the word though...

Hey, that might work! According to wiki, a Marquis ranks below a duke and above an earl. So as #18 it would be just at the right place! ^^

We would just need to choose between the French spelling (Marquis/Marquise) or the English one (Marquess/Marchioness).
Swarmlord2
Swarmlord2
2,081 posts
Marquis

The rest is English, so it should stay that way.

ivan
ivan
1,417 posts
King

I was trying to avoid #18 - Priest & Priestess in previous mods of this sketch,but... !

Back on page 2 , you can find a base model , including Marquis & Marquise + Marquess & Marchioness !

What's the thing about Clergy then ? Yes , they are displaced , but they come as close as top of hierarchy , right below rulers in middle ages (in general) , often bound very close or almost highly important as kings (often) and even in some cases above the kings !!!

Allow me to explain:

"During the High Middle Ages, Bishops had become so powerful that it was mandatory for the king to take orders and consult the Bishop in everyday affairs over the state. In fact the Bishops were considered above all the heads of states in whole Europe even in the Holy Roman Emperor. Every king was supposed to have one Bishop in his court for consultation."

Now, I was trying to avoid adding Clergy in general in their high form , like Pope, Bishop, Arch Deacon, Abbot, Prior, Dean etc... , for simple reason:

I didn't wanted to involve too much religion into the system!

Monk, Friar , Cleric , Vicar , Chaplain , Confessor , Scribe , Culdees ... were also an option , but they often come as religion specific , so the choice fall on Priest & Priestess !

Priest & Priestess are good representative of the branch , and the only logical place in the above list was #18 !

Was also thinking of less Clergy term , and perhaps a bit of Mythical such as Mage, Sorcerer , Wizard , Magician , Conjurer , Enchanter , Warlock ...
but that would totally destroy the concept! :/ Still, Warlock would be cool

-----------

However, if you feel like changing it, it's fine with me , after all it's not written in stone!

BalkanRenegades
BalkanRenegades
824 posts
Treasurer

When are named ranks gonna be added?

akshobhya
akshobhya
5,063 posts
Justiciar

I think that they maybe be added within 2 months...

helpo1
helpo1
3,778 posts
King

I like the latest list, but either more clergy or none at all - and I think the second option would thematically fit here better, even though I know the power of middle-ages clergy is often underestimated. Marquis for #18 just sounds nicer.

We would just need to choose between the French spelling (Marquis/Marquise) or the English one (Marquess/Marchioness).

Honestly, I've seen this title dozens of times in many different languages including American and British English, but always (more-or-less) in the French (Marquis) form, so I would go for that. As long as it isn't Maquis... :P

The correct spelling of #2 is 'shepherd'

Well, maybe we're going Mass Effect instead of Middle Ages. :P
Doombreed
Doombreed
7,022 posts
Templar

So as #18 it would be just at the right place! ^^

I guess here's something you can learn from Sid Meier's Pirates ^_^ The 4 final ranks you can achieve with any nation in that game are in order from lowest to highest Baron, Count, Marquis, Duke Hence why it seemed logical xD

Well, maybe we're going Mass Effect instead of Middle Ages

No no, don't mention that now...bad timing xD (Of note though, the protagonist is named Shepard...probably for that reason )

Olinser
Olinser
650 posts
King

I mean if you're looking for MORE ranks you're missing a few common nobility titles - Viscount, Earl and Marquis.

Baronet was also a rank above Knight but not a member of the actual nobility.

It might be interesting if you let people at the maximum rank choose between several 'King' titles to get one used in their country - i.e. Dauphin, Sultan, Caesar, Maharaja, Emperor, Tsar, Kaiser, etc

akshobhya
akshobhya
5,063 posts
Justiciar

It might be interesting if you let people at the maximum rank choose between several 'King' titles to get one used in their country - i.e. Dauphin, Sultan, Caesar, Maharaja, Emperor, Tsar, Kaiser, etc

I would love to see that option unless it does not harm the interests of all people in this site (considering that they reside in different countries)!

Ferret
Ferret
9,323 posts
Bard

@helpo1 Wrex.

Corrections...

#0 - Nomad
#1 - Peasant
#2 - Shepherd
#3 - Farmer
#4 - Blacksmith
#5 - Jester
#6 - Scribe
#7 - Bard
#8 - Herald
#9 - Constable
#10 - Treasurer
#11 - Templar
#12 - Justiciar
#13 - Chancellor
#14 - Chamberlain
#15 - Lord & Lady
#16 - Baron & Baroness
#17 - Count & Countess
#18 - Marquis & Marquise
#19 - Duke & Duchess
#20 - Archduke & Archduchess
#21 - Grand Duke & Grand Duchess
#22 - Viceroy & Vicereine
#23 - Regent
#24 - Prince & Princess
#25 - King & Queen

This leaves open future possibility rank systems for Military/Religion. Though we're not committing to those yet obviously.

Ferret
Ferret
9,323 posts
Bard

I think that's going to do it. I've let Boppins know those are final, may take a little while to get the titles in there.

Showing 61-75 of 134