ForumsArt, Music, and WritingArt Skills Contest

6854 5490313
Carlie
Carlie
6,823 posts
Blacksmith

Hello and welcome!

This is a spin-off of the original GFX Art Battle, but with some updated rules and changes. Please make sure to read the rules before entering, since they have been modified. Good luck, we look forward to seeing some creative artistic entries!

Competition Rules
1. Must be hand drawn, either on paper or in a program. It can then be manipulated in an graphics program. But unoriginal artwork cannot be used as the main focus. Copyrighted images cannot be used. All pieces containing copyrighted images will be disqualified.
2. Submissions must follow the current theme that has been chosen by a moderator for that week. If you submit more than one piece, please clarify which one you would like to be judged.
3. If your image is larger than 600 pixels wide, please provide a link to the image instead of posting it in the forum. Otherwise, the image will be cut off.
4. Artists cannot win in subsequent weeks. You can still submit, but if you won the week before, you cannot get first place again the next week.
5. After the deadline, a moderator will pick the winner, and they will be awarded a 25 AP award.

• 6,854 Replies
Zophia
Zophia
9,434 posts
Scribe

http://i193.photobucket.com/albums/z121/Mazzelh/Snapshot2008-10-1700-38-19copy.jpg
That's where the multiply option is in GIMP.
If you set a layer to that mode, everything that isn't black will be some level of transparent - white will be completely invisible. It's great for scanned images, and can work for some photographs too. Try it next time you're colouring something that wasn' tdrawn on computer.

@Cenere:
Cute~ A shame it's only a sketch, though.

plokkey
plokkey
4,571 posts
Jester

Hehe, Pedspog, the words don't blend with the background, but good job!

Strop
Strop
10,816 posts
Bard

Wow, it's just rolling right on it!

Change of plans then: I gotta go chase up a couple of people who declared their intention to enter but I haven't heard from yet. But I hope to close entries in approximately six hours.

Strop, yours is good as always, but - the thing it has to do with your name is that your character is named Strop? Anything else that I'm missing?

Yep. See, as many of the users here know, Strop is actually short for Strawpony. So the jokes are really as follows:

1) Strop as the ninja.
2) The strawpony dummy.
3) The random ninja chucking a strop (having a temper tantrum) at the dummy.

It's obscure but that's precisely what I want! I'll reveal my secret now- I was hoping to see stuff that would leave me guessing and saying "wtf how is that related?" But this is not necessarily related to the manner in which I will judge...I will explain that at the end of this round.
Strop
Strop
10,816 posts
Bard

...why did I say "on it" when I meant "in"? >_<

Strop
Strop
10,816 posts
Bard

As for GIMP tips:

Multiply is a wonderful function- this is the default layer setting for Open Canvas, incidentally. Zophia's already explained it plenty well enough so I'll talk about other options:

The other option, which I find more versatile if I want to preserve the lineart as is, would be to open up the "transparency" options (under the layers dropdown menu, depending on your version) and "make color transparent". Then I would make a new layer (white, transparent, whatever you want) and drag this layer UNDERNEATH the original layer. Then you can color from there and manipulate the lineart separately, if you so wish.

I also encourage everybody to play around with the various options. "Normal" can get quite limited in function! If I'm doing a super quick color job, I'll generally just do this from the brush side. But if I want to take more care, I'll create multiple layers for the effects I'll be using and change the layer properties themselves, *then* play with my brush options after. Beware, though, using certain combinations e.g. an "addition" brush in an "overlay" layer will result in nothing!

Zophia
Zophia
9,434 posts
Scribe

Yep. See, as many of the users here know, Strop is actually short for Strawpony. So the jokes are really as follows:

1) Strop as the ninja.
2) The strawpony dummy.
3) The random ninja chucking a strop (having a temper tantrum) at the dummy.

It's obscure but that's precisely what I want! I'll reveal my secret now- I was hoping to see stuff that would leave me guessing and saying "wtf how is that related?" But this is not necessarily related to the manner in which I will judge...I will explain that at the end of this round.
I just went with writing my name with the creature's everyone seems to relate me with - if I'd drawn Zoph (my character) I think everyone (with maybe one exception) would have miffed out. X)
But yours, people get~ Because Strop is known here~ It's pretty neat. ^^
...why did I say "on it" when I meant "in"? >_<
Because the 'i' and 'o' are right next to each other on a QWERTY keyboard?
Strop
Strop
10,816 posts
Bard

Okay, entries have officially closed!

I'm going to go through each and every one of them and then post my judgment as soon as possible! Meaning within two hours.

thoadthetoad
thoadthetoad
5,642 posts
Peasant

OMG I'M WAITING REALLY HARD FOR NEXT THEME I HOPE IT'S SOMETHING FUN!

kingryan
kingryan
4,196 posts
Farmer

Hmm...I doubt that I will...but I will be waiting...

BTW...this post gives me 5555 AP!

KingRyan

thoadthetoad
thoadthetoad
5,642 posts
Peasant

Yes, often times I wish I was in a coma so that way all I would have to do is dream for years at a time. . .that would be the ONLY peace that could ever exist. . .*starts daydreaming*

thoadthetoad
thoadthetoad
5,642 posts
Peasant

as odd/psychotic/melo-dramatic/emo it sounds, It's completely true. ANYWAYS, back on topic. I bet 0.00000001 peso's that the next draw topic is halloween.

P.S. if it is, I got an idea that will rock your flipping socks of!

Pedspog
Pedspog
151 posts
Farmer

Thanks for the GIMP tips! It's a shame I didn't see them in time to fix my entry XD. BUt I will keep those in mind for next time!

Zophia
Zophia
9,434 posts
Scribe

I hope you'll find them useful, Pedspog.

*posts mainly to find out what time it is in AG*

Klaushouse
Klaushouse
2,770 posts
Nomad

Wow I am sorry I missed the deadline, I was working on a Klaus in the shape of a house!

Zophia
Zophia
9,434 posts
Scribe

Finish it anyway, wanna see it!
But very much a shame you didn't finish in time.

Showing 526-540 of 6854