ForumsArt, Music, and WritingArt Skills Contest

6854 4305026
Carlie
Carlie
6,823 posts
Blacksmith

Hello and welcome!

This is a spin-off of the original GFX Art Battle, but with some updated rules and changes. Please make sure to read the rules before entering, since they have been modified. Good luck, we look forward to seeing some creative artistic entries!

Competition Rules
1. Must be hand drawn, either on paper or in a program. It can then be manipulated in an graphics program. But unoriginal artwork cannot be used as the main focus. Copyrighted images cannot be used. All pieces containing copyrighted images will be disqualified.
2. Submissions must follow the current theme that has been chosen by a moderator for that week. If you submit more than one piece, please clarify which one you would like to be judged.
3. If your image is larger than 600 pixels wide, please provide a link to the image instead of posting it in the forum. Otherwise, the image will be cut off.
4. Artists cannot win in subsequent weeks. You can still submit, but if you won the week before, you cannot get first place again the next week.
5. After the deadline, a moderator will pick the winner, and they will be awarded a 25 AP award.

• 6,854 Replies
Cenere
Cenere
13,658 posts
Jester

Get yourself Artrage, Strop. It has an actual "I am a real pencil"-brush, along with crayons, paint and so on...

Zophia
Zophia
9,434 posts
Scribe

Okay, I just shot my laziness and looked at GIMP...
Paintbrush settings, apply jitter. Apparently GIMP's jitter is the same as Photoshop's scatter. In Photoshop the jitter relates to colour...

Artrage is free?

Cenere
Cenere
13,658 posts
Jester

The trial is. It has paint, pencil, marker, crayon... paint scraber thing. The layer and all the other cool stuff does not work in the trial, though.

Gantic
Gantic
11,892 posts
King

Forgot to say it was in GIMP... There's a blur and change in opacity too. I don't remember my exact settings, but there's a little leeway.

Artweaver has a variety of stuff like Corel and it's completely free, but obviously it's not as good as Corel. I'm not sure how good it is (of the program and brush quality) since I haven't used it much, but the default settings make everything look like marker so some tweaking is needed.

howlett
howlett
2,278 posts
Nomad

Thats cool Silm I like it alot, good job on it =0

deth4
deth4
764 posts
Nomad

my entry. enjoy!

thoadthetoad
thoadthetoad
5,642 posts
Peasant

alright, I got it done. If Nostalgia has to do with "sweet memories" then I think this goes with the theme. Unlike most of my tries in the comp, here's one fueturing my favorite OC, the Nergyl Child.
So sweet yet so Sour

http://i466.photobucket.com/albums/rr28/thoadthetoad/Sosweetandsosour.jpg

deth4
deth4
764 posts
Nomad

kinda blurry, what are those things in the top corners? pretty good

thoadthetoad
thoadthetoad
5,642 posts
Peasant

those are the memories, one has a decapitated head (which is blurry due to me no able to get a good snapshot), and the other is a cave home on fire.

howlett
howlett
2,278 posts
Nomad

Thats nice Thoad well actually its not nice its beautiful.

crimsonblade55
crimsonblade55
5,420 posts
Shepherd

For some reason I think not everyone completely understood the exact meaning of nostalgia, or they could have and I may not understand the relation,but really using Wikipedia as a reference to give a definition, instead of something like a history lesson(which is what encyclopedias are for)can sometimes not be the most accurate things to use.That is why when you want to find the meanings of words that in my opinion it would be best to use a dictionary resource instead.So let me try my hand at this real quick.

a wistful desire to return in thought or in fact to a former time in one's life, to one's home or homeland, or to one's family and friends; a sentimental yearning for the happiness of a former place or time: a nostalgia for his college days.

Definition from:

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/nostalgia

Anyways what that means is that you want to go back and relive something that happened in the past, many times because it was a better time for you,and you have pleasant memories of that time.

We have to go over alot of these terms ,multiple times over the years in English over in my school district,so when I submitted mine I knew what it meant,but looking at some of these I'm not so sure everyone else does.Just wanted to clarify that,and I hope that I didn't make any mistakes on this,but just wanted people to be fully informed on the matter,just because I want to make sure everything sticks to the theme correctly,and I really have nothing better to do today.(its a bit sad actually)
Ogt2
Ogt2
288 posts
Peasant

Here's mine, dedicated to Zega:

http://img223.imageshack.us/img223/830/nostalgiapiceo8.jpg

Description: A guy died recently, and he regrets the times when he was still alive. The island he is on represents death, and the island afar represents life, hence the sky.
Enjoy and give me feedback.

Cenere
Cenere
13,658 posts
Jester

Hmm, with more detail (like drawn with overlymuch skill that none of us has), that one could be so awesome!

You need a scanner just as much as I do, Thoady.

Okay, question: Did any of you see the actualy submission by me? Not to get comments, I just want to know how many I fooled.

Klaushouse
Klaushouse
2,770 posts
Nomad

MY ENTRY! :P

http://img233.imageshack.us/img233/3184/gamesofgondornj3.png

http://img233.imageshack.us/img233/3184/gamesofgondornj3.png

thoadthetoad
thoadthetoad
5,642 posts
Peasant

I don't think I did, the Nergyl child later LOVED the thoughts of killing everything, and when he killed his ENTIRE race, he felt quite proud and often reminisces about it. Dude, is that just a screenie? lol.

Showing 2101-2115 of 6854