ForumsArt, Music, and WritingArt Skills Contest

6854 4251000
Carlie
Carlie
6,823 posts
Blacksmith

Hello and welcome!

This is a spin-off of the original GFX Art Battle, but with some updated rules and changes. Please make sure to read the rules before entering, since they have been modified. Good luck, we look forward to seeing some creative artistic entries!

Competition Rules
1. Must be hand drawn, either on paper or in a program. It can then be manipulated in an graphics program. But unoriginal artwork cannot be used as the main focus. Copyrighted images cannot be used. All pieces containing copyrighted images will be disqualified.
2. Submissions must follow the current theme that has been chosen by a moderator for that week. If you submit more than one piece, please clarify which one you would like to be judged.
3. If your image is larger than 600 pixels wide, please provide a link to the image instead of posting it in the forum. Otherwise, the image will be cut off.
4. Artists cannot win in subsequent weeks. You can still submit, but if you won the week before, you cannot get first place again the next week.
5. After the deadline, a moderator will pick the winner, and they will be awarded a 25 AP award.

• 6,854 Replies
crimsonblade55
crimsonblade55
5,420 posts
Shepherd

Xzeno that is quite funny how you say that,but when I was referring to "El:I meant that is the word used in Spanish.Somehow I forgot to add that in before.Also yes it is defined as a plural pronoun,but unless I read this definition wrong then it can also be used to replace the words like he she and it to refer to anyone who is competing as well,so since "they"(or really just Carlie in this case) didn't define that they are referring to either anyone in a group or really everyone in the group then I think it could still be considered a loophole and Strop wouldn't have had to give two merits or more each round before,but can if he chooses to.(I'm trying to make as strong of an argument as possible)

Reference
Dictionary.com Definition

Cenere
Cenere
13,658 posts
Jester

@Cholo:
I know, that is what I do during exams. I tend to be able to talk myself out of trouble, when I know a little about the stuff I am supposed to talk about. Only in German I have major problems, because "Ich spreche nur ein bischen Deutsch".
Make pretend/acting is some of my best traits. One of the worst is my sleight of hand, at least for other people.

Xzeno
Xzeno
2,301 posts
Nomad

Oh, well, you may be right. Though the origin of this, I assure you, is not long-standing tradition, but rather recent tradition. While I hate to see a key grammatical slip-up like that go the way of the dinosaur, I will concede that you are correct, and the modern usage can mean a singular gender-neutral. Though I still would have liked that definition to be marked as slang...

Strop
Strop
10,816 posts
Bard

I like it how suddenly I'm being accused of a forum felony D': Do you think that lowly of meeeee? *whiiiiine*

Okay, *puts on serious face* I'd just like to end this off-topic discussion with a point that Cholokid really should have spotted before he posted, *nudge nudge*

After the deadline, a moderator will pick the winner, and they will be awarded a 25 AP award.

See the bolded words? That's strictly in the singular Since the latter phrase is a sub-clause which is dependent on the previous clause, the 'they' is in the singular neuter. I also have no idea why it would need to be marked as slang as this appears to be the only acceptable and proper way to address somebody in a gender neutral manner ('it' is generally used for non-persons). Call it idiomatic.

But this is all beside the point. The rules require some interpretation so instead what I decided to do in this unprecedented situation was to both exhibit the winning works in the champion's exhibit AND make them both eligible to win this round also, since you only cannot be awarded a merit two weeks consecutively.

Anyway, there is also a strict code of honour among the moderators that no moderator can, under any circumstances, award themselves a merit even if they are meant to be awarded one, and I can assure you this has never been broken. In fact, except for the one I got for the boxes round, I haven't gained any merits ever since I became a moderator more than 6 months ago because I've been too busy to write game reviews.
crimsonblade55
crimsonblade55
5,420 posts
Shepherd

so are you saying that you plan on giving out two merits for the last rounds.I can't tell as you never really said anything along the lines of it being so or otherwise.You did say that we could both be eligible to win this round,but I'm not sure if that means we both get the rewards.

Mushi
Mushi
12 posts
Nomad

Hmmmmmmmmmmmm

kevin44
kevin44
1,780 posts
Jester

The former entry is just as good and probably more effective actually, kevin :P

Well I guess I will change it back then. I was just worried that people wouldn't get it.

http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg265/monkeymucker/GFXNewYearsResolution.jpg

The text also needed to be bigger.
Cholokid
Cholokid
1,667 posts
Shepherd

@Strop

Oh, I noticed it, haha, I just hoped you wouldn't >.>

And if neither me nor Crimsonblade get a merit, that just wouldn't be fair. One must be awarded the merit. Or both. Just neither would be flat out wrong. You did pick a winner, well two of them, and the winner gets a merit. Therefore one of us must be given the merit.

Give it to Crimson, I have plenty of merits and have won this competition before. No need to be greedy about it.

crimsonblade55
crimsonblade55
5,420 posts
Shepherd

Give it to Crimson, I have plenty of merits and have won this competition before. No need to be greedy about it.

I would say something,but you do have more merits then me and have won plenty of times before.Although it would have been better if both winners were given the merit if we were to both be given all of the negatives of winning as well( which pretty much means we can't win this week and get a merit for it no matter how good/bad our art is)so if he were to choose for only one of us to get the merit then I would think that the other should get a chance to win this week,and also if possible still get to be in the champions exhibit....please I am grateful that you chose me and all as one of the winners,but I don't think choosing two people to win next time would be such a good idea,unless the rules are adjusted for such cases.It is quite confusing and annoying.I don't really want something like this to happen again.Also Cholokid I shall talk to you further on your profile about this situation.
Cholokid
Cholokid
1,667 posts
Shepherd

@Crimson
TAKE IT! haha
Eso es lo que ella dijo.

*refuses to accept a merit*
I will not take the merit! No way no how. You are going to receive it. PERIOD.

@Strop (again)
I guess Carlie just has bad grammar. lul.

@Cenere
Ah, yeah I'm the same way. When I get into a hot spot during classes I can find a way to get out of it. And when I'm in trouble, just act very sorry, if that doesn't work cry, if it still doesn't work act like your going to barf. xD

But also I only speak a little Spanish, same as you do German. (hooray for translators!) So, I do really bad in that class.

deth4
deth4
764 posts
Nomad

hey strop, if cholo or crimson doesnt want it, give it to me! y ou did say i had a good entry = ]

crimsonblade55
crimsonblade55
5,420 posts
Shepherd

hey just because we want the other to have it doesn't mean we don't want it.I have already discussed it in private and have settled on who would get the merit if only one of us were to get it.

kevin44
kevin44
1,780 posts
Jester

hey strop, if cholo or crimson doesnt want it, give it to me! y ou did say i had a good entry = ]

*ahem*
I believe it goes to the runner up! (Me)

No, I'm kidding. I have plenty of merits, and if I win one in this competition I want it to be because I won, not for getting 3rd place.
crimsonblade55
crimsonblade55
5,420 posts
Shepherd

I have plenty of merits

Well you do have more merits then Cholokid and myself combined.
deth4
deth4
764 posts
Nomad

hey cholo, what does your mean when it says hopes theres no showers tonight?

Showing 2311-2325 of 6854