ForumsArt, Music, and WritingStrop's sporadic scrapbook

1567 731271
Strop
Strop
10,817 posts
Bard

Right, so I pulled out of the previous GFX round due to not being able to finish on time. Since then I've been working on the image on-and-off and now it's finished only about a week late.

The picture shown below is half the size, the fullsize one can be found by clicking on the picture.

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a268/dongstyle_ltd/Not%20photos/technologyfinal.jpg

The full resolution pic (1280xs1024) is low quality...the high quality version is 1.1Mb and doesn't fit on photobucket xD Lame. Except I feel justified with the size...this was hand-drawn from start to finish.

I should have tidied up the sketchlines more, but wasn't actually intending to spend this much effort on it. Meh.

• 1,567 Replies
daleks
daleks
3,770 posts
Chamberlain

Dressed as some dude from Tron.

That is amazing Strop! The costume must have taken forever to make but because of it it came out really good. However for some reason I have always liked the old Tron better. More retro I guess.
Strop
Strop
10,817 posts
Bard

A lot of things have happened since the last post in this thread, and now. So here's a draft sketch of a horsey-fied version of my girlfriend:

http://i1207.photobucket.com/albums/bb476/stropmd/E2_zps38d3974e.png

She would like to emphasise that even if she doesn't have a 36-24-36 figure or E cups (like a certain somebody), she is the real deal, hrrrmmmmph!

daleks
daleks
3,770 posts
Chamberlain

a 36-24-36 figure or E cups (like a certain somebody)

I think he means himself or Strip, but I am going with the former on this one.

Anyway, her face seems less horsey than Strop and Strip.
Hectichermit
Hectichermit
1,828 posts
Bard

:P will shr be added to the list of characters that run round strops home causing chaos

For some reason I think Strop reminds me of Tenchi Muyo... going to save the universe anytime soon? lol

Strop
Strop
10,817 posts
Bard

I think he means himself or Strip, but I am going with the former on this one.

oh daleks, you're funny

Anyway, her face seems less horsey than Strop and Strip.

I'm actually kind of gradually changing style. When I first started I almost just about put a horse head on top of a human body. But think about it, a horse head is massive and its dimensions put a hell of a strain on a body to keep it up, hence the humongous neck.

Technically speaking I'm moving towards more humanoid shaped heads as I'm starting to incorporate a greater range of human facial expression. Actually basing characters on people and their facial profile and specific idiosyncrasies (E likes to think she has a certain panache, a flair for the je ne sais quoi) means drawing more caricatures or risk going into weird places of the uncanny valley, like I see with other artists who do similar things. Ninja Strop had a long horsey head but when I started drawing Dr Strop, he became cartoony (actually Dr Strop is more frequently drawn chibi). Strip's nose has already shrunk a fair bit, you may expect it to change even more in future.

For some reason I think Strop reminds me of Tenchi Muyo

As soon as I find a Kagato to battle... I think E would not appreciate it if I asserted she was a Washu aspiring to be Ayeka LOL.

Progress (approval pending):

http://i1207.photobucket.com/albums/bb476/stropmd/E3_zpsb6d30ace.png
daleks
daleks
3,770 posts
Chamberlain

Harm. Seeing how this will probably be my last forum post I think I should make it good.

Glad you think I am funny Strop. I am either funny or an ***. There seems to be a fine line between the two. I cross that line too much.

As for your new style, personally I do not like it as much. Having the whole horse head made the whole picture more obvious that it was a horse/human hybrid. Now it does not seem as obvious to me, at least with E. It doesn't really matter what I think though, your art is your art. Do what you like with it.

O, and if you could can you email me the last parts of WoM (if they ever get finished)? Thanks a lot Stroppy. Have fun drawing horse humans, and being more awesome than I ever will be.

Freakenstein
Freakenstein
9,507 posts
Jester

For some reason I think Strop reminds me of Tenchi Muyo

That show was so long ago, the last time I watched an episode was when I was still playing with action figures in the tub. Ayeka was the overly-flirtacious space pirate who laid an egg right?
Strop
Strop
10,817 posts
Bard

Ayeka was the overly-flirtacious space pirate who laid an egg right?

I don't remember the laying an egg part but I thought that Ryoko was the space pirate.

I am either funny or an ***. There seems to be a fine line between the two. I cross that line too much.

No offense was taken if that helps.

Having the whole horse head made the whole picture more obvious that it was a horse/human hybrid.

I have since concluded that using more pronounced horse muzzles would work best on larger figures, since they'd have the neck to match. Alternatively you could go extreme caricature, like that creepy thug guy from Blacksad.

if you could can you email me the last parts of WoM (if they ever get finished)

They will, they just keep getting bumped back in the queue by mishaps and accidents >_>
Xzeno
Xzeno
2,301 posts
Nomad

Progress (approval pending):
I DISAPPROVE! I mean, sure, it's tolerable by your standards, but that's what we call a low bar.

It's amazing what a few filters can do. It did a lot to make those photos look way more pro. The takeaway is digital distribution and digital postproduction go hand in hand.
Strop
Strop
10,817 posts
Bard

lol xzeno you're such a jerk, I'll tell my girlfriend on you!

It did a lot to make those photos look way more pro.

Ayep. Actually I didn't just use filters, I actually manually altered the shadows using the trusty airbrush too. AIRBRUSHIE BRUSHIE

You should have seen the originals. It was like the difference between those "doing it rite vs doing it wrong" cosplay forum threads.

Okay so Xzeno can continue to disapprove of my poor handiwork, I went and finished things today, and E! approved of it, so if you have a problem with it then you have a problem with her too and I'm not sure you wanna go there :P

http://fc07.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2013/090/d/9/e__by_stroppy_mchorseguy-d600c9h.png

click on the image the original resolution is freakin' massive so everything you see is shrunken down.
Freakenstein
Freakenstein
9,507 posts
Jester

(Psst, he is, he just doesn't wanna be gratuitous with them!)

I mean, what do you mean Matt? You can clearly see some essences of shorts right there!

Xzeno
Xzeno
2,301 posts
Nomad

so if you have a problem with it then you have a problem with her too and I'm not sure you wanna go there :P

I was more complaining about your portrayal of women, not your art. But I could take her 8)

Anyway, she's clearly wearing pants in the image. They just aren't very long.
Freakenstein
Freakenstein
9,507 posts
Jester

{I wanted to edit Xzeno's post to where &quotants" was replaced with garments that most represented what she wore, but then I googled what I put down and was scarred for life, so I deleted my post so no one would see and look up what the word was}

Strop
Strop
10,817 posts
Bard

They are not booty-shorts!

Sometimes I wonder if you just aren't good at drawing pants, Strop.

Sometimes I wonder too hmmmmmm.

nah jk I draw heaps of pants. I just draw lots of pics where there are no pants 8)

I was more complaining about your portrayal of women

Given the arrival of E! it is likely that I may not be drawing as much of Strip from now on. She'll have her place, as immortalised as it is in our rambling fictions, but she won't be as frequently featured. Is that what you were after? :P
light_chaser
light_chaser
1,044 posts
Peasant

hrm, is it just me, or is the head shorter than the ones you otherwise do?

either that, or new glasses are in order...

Showing 1531-1545 of 1567