ForumsSupport ForumAg slowing down? Is there way to many inactive accounts?

60 6366
thingthingfreak
thingthingfreak
1,523 posts
Nomad

I have noticed alot of topics lately on how long it takes to fourm post, and how long it takes to lod peoples' pages. To everyone who is expeiencing this problem, the same thing is happening to me... And I thought it was just because my computer is slow, but it looks like the site is slowing down more. Out of the 140,000 users on Ag, only about 20,000 actually use their accounts! My little brother has an account on this site, and when he only hd 1 Ap, It said that he was rank #20,567 then at about 10 Ap he went all the way up to #12,432 This is really ridiculous. I think that Carlie and all the other Admins/mods need to deleate all these inactive accounts. think about it: 120,000 accounts are not even being used. They just exist with nothing on them. Think of how much faster AG would be with 120,000 less accounts! None of these problems would happen, and I'd be willing to bet that AG would be about 10 times faster...

• 60 Replies
ShintetsuWA
ShintetsuWA
3,176 posts
Nomad

So...you want the moderators to hunt 120K people? Let's see here... *2 months later*

Unless you WANT that to happen, and im sure the moderators will disagree 100% can you think of a way to batch an action of purging 120K accounts?

firetail_madness
firetail_madness
20,593 posts
Blacksmith

Purge them.
That's what I say!

Estel
Estel
1,973 posts
Peasant

We can't just go out to delete all those profiles. I don't know any code at all, but I'm pretty sure there's no "inactive" file. You'd have to find each one.

firetail_madness
firetail_madness
20,593 posts
Blacksmith

Ouch.
That would be hard.
I wish there was a way of clearing those out.

crimsonblade55
crimsonblade55
5,420 posts
Shepherd

ThingThingFreak I shall save the mods the trouble of saying this themselves.The extra accounts do not slow down the server.Actually if they were active maybe,but the extra pages have no effect on how fast the site runs.This is actually why I think most people have no idea how a network operates.I don't even think they need a network though to run a forum,but it could slow down a IM possibly,but not a site.It just takes up space on the internet(where ever the internet is)Also even if that were the case then they would not delete the accounts,b/c some people may use the accounts for other reasons,and they could get upset if they had their accounts deleted.My point is it won't happen and also this has been brought so many times before that it is starting to get on my nerves at this point.Anyways I think threads like this are starting to become broken records.I hope a mod locks this soon,and I might contact one myself if I need to.

ShintetsuWA
ShintetsuWA
3,176 posts
Nomad

We can't just go out to delete all those profiles. I don't know any code at all, but I'm pretty sure there's no "inactive" file. You'd have to find each one.

Almost exactly like I mentioned. Now I'm sure SOMETHINGS going on, because its more than one person's problem.
thingthingfreak
thingthingfreak
1,523 posts
Nomad

Actually, I don't thin this needs to be locks, because I have a valid point, and noone is spamming. If people started to talk about armatars here, then it should be locked, but looking at the current posts that doesn't seem to be the case here. Anyway, think of it like this: Joey has a computer with 3 different accounts on it. Bob has a computer with 19 different accounts on it. Both Joey and Bob have the same trpy of computer, but for some reason Joey's runs faster than Bob's. This is because Bob's computer has more accounts, therefore those accounts are useing up more space, so the computer is running slower. If it works this way, then why shouldn't it work like this on a website?

thingthingfreak
thingthingfreak
1,523 posts
Nomad

And if you want to contact a mod, Estel posted here, and he thought this thred was fine, so why shouldn't anyone else? And if this isn't the reason for AG slowing down, then what is?

Snizz19
Snizz19
377 posts
Nomad

this is happening to me to my comp is so slow on ag i agree get rid of at least 10000 acounts if we had a list of members coucgh cough my idea this would be simple.

ShintetsuWA
ShintetsuWA
3,176 posts
Nomad

Im loading 20 different pages. For some strange reason AG is loading slowest. So Crimson Blade. What do YOU think is going on? You're the "internet expert" here.

As for a suggestion, if this debating is solved and, hypothetically, we come to the conclusion its the ghost accounts' faults, there needs to be a batch action for purging accounts that have never been on in one day after their account was made, then maybe go from there another path.

As for accounts that serve a purpose e.g. SHOPS:

SOMEBODY knows that account password! It wouldn't hurt to login to that account once in a while would it?

lil_gangsta72
lil_gangsta72
375 posts
Nomad

my ag is lagging so much i dunno why

thingthingfreak
thingthingfreak
1,523 posts
Nomad

Yeah, SHOPS is never on anymore, but we need to stay on topic so CrimsonBlade doesn't have an excuse to make a mod lock this. Anyway, I think that I list would be great! Ther is currently as far as rank goes one list, and that's the top 100. I think that any account that has absoultly no Ap should be automatically deleated if it is inactivve for a period of at least 3 weeks. And there is no way anyone could find these 'ghost accounts' because if they have never posted on anything, then there is no way to track them down.

crimsonblade55
crimsonblade55
5,420 posts
Shepherd

OK while maybe AG does run slower than other websites it could be because of all of the ads on the site bogging it down,that or something else such as a lot of images or the amount of games on the site.I can't say for sure that the games have any real effect on it,but images and ads do,and AG has tons.I have Ad blocks plus so I don't have this issue,but it could be part of the problem for some people.Also trust me when I say that the reason it would need to be locked is b/c it has been brought up too many times before so as some would say.The whole thread in its essence is spam,b/c you didn't bother to look and see if there was already a topic like this.On top of that shintetsu have you ever put this theory of yours to a test in some way?If not then you can't really use it as a good example b/c you don't know whether it is really true or not.

a7xfan
a7xfan
212 posts
Peasant

i think a banning should occur when no one had ben active for 2 months unless there in top 10 because if ur gone for 2 months your probally not going to come back

thingthingfreak
thingthingfreak
1,523 posts
Nomad

Actually there are many topic like this one, but none present my current idea. And the adds an pictures on AG really haven't increased at all because there is only so much add space on a page. So I am pretty sure that isn't the case. This is just my opinion, but I think that 120,000 inactive users could slow down this site. And I honestly have no idea where you are coming from when you say that it 'takes up internet space'. And I also have no idea why you want this to be locked so badly. If anything a mod/admin needs to look at this thred and answer my question: why is AG running so slow? And another thing about the adds that you claim are the ones guilty for slowing down AG, there are no adds at all in the fourms except for the ocassional one at the top of the screen, and yet it still takes 5 minutes for me to post somthing here. And another thing, if your so anti-spam (not that I'm not), and you think that replying to this thred is spam, then why are you replying to it? Doesn't that mean that you are spamming?

Showing 1-15 of 60