ForumsWEPRShould Animals Have Rights? Why?

309 59469
thepossum
thepossum
3,035 posts
Nomad

Should animals have any rights? If you answer please explain.

• 309 Replies
caucasiafro
caucasiafro
338 posts
Nomad

[quote]there are still some people in the world who don't get their rights and you are talking about animal rights!
That isn't an argument, that's a logical fallacy. By the same logic, you shouldn't buy a homeless man a burger because there are starving kids in Africa.
[/quote]

I dont know how you came up with that.
The statement sounds to me like we simply shouldnt be wasting time and resources on animal rights we should be rasing the standard of living for all humans instead.
tomertheking
tomertheking
1,751 posts
Jester

That isn't an argument, that's a logical fallacy. By the same logic, you shouldn't buy a homeless man a burger because there are starving kids in Africa.

No, because an animal is supposedly lower than said humans in the furst statement.

I contend that in an idealistic world, bacteria should have rights. Not that this is applicable in any real discussion.

I moved a finger. Oops, I killed/tortured 10000 bacterias.

Hi small guy, I can't see you. *takes a powerful microscope and looks at his now-scwashed friend*
sonicheroes95
sonicheroes95
13,701 posts
Peasant

I contend that in an idealistic world, bacteria should have rights. Not that this is applicable in any real discussion.
[quote]I moved a finger. Oops, I killed/tortured 10000 bacterias.
[/quote]

LMAO

anyway, just because i call humans animals doesn't mean i think they're equal to something such as spiders. but i see some boneheads here don't get that.
whimsyboy
whimsyboy
938 posts
Nomad

BREAKING NEWS
Protoazoa wins a lawsuit against a cleaning lady. He claimed that she, "sprayed (him) with a deteriorating substance with no mercy whatsoever."
She is going to jail for 15 years for Attempted Murder.

How does that headline sound to joo?
Xzeno
Xzeno
2,301 posts
Nomad

I dont know how you came up with that.
The statement sounds to me like we simply shouldnt be wasting time and resources on animal rights we should be rasing the standard of living for all humans instead.
It's not as if we have a certain amount of rights to go around. We wouldn't somehow deny rights to humans by giving animals rights. To me, it's like saying all scientists and doctors should try to cure cancer instead of baldness. Is cancer a bigger issue? Sure. Does that mean we should focus on it to the exclusion of all else? Of course not.

I moved a finger. Oops, I killed/tortured 10000 bacterias.

Hi small guy, I can't see you. *takes a powerful microscope and looks at his now-scwashed friend*
Ahem:
Idealistic. This is, to quote myself again, not an argument but a logical fallacy. I'm comparing a real world problem to an impossible situation. I know this. However, I present this as an ideal, knowing that it can't be applied in realistic discussion, as I originally stated: In a perfect world, bacteria would have some degree of rights.

Protoazoa wins a lawsuit against a cleaning lady. He claimed that she, "sprayed (him) with a deteriorating substance with no mercy whatsoever."
She is going to jail for 15 years for Attempted Murder.

How does that headline sound to joo?
To me? The woman should not be jailed unless she knew of this microbe's intellect. Saying that a creature - even a microscopic creature - shouldn't get rights even though it can speak and is smart enough to file a lawsuit is ridiculous. If a microorganism is as intelligent as the one in the above quote, its getting rights would not only be ideal, but the alternative would be immoral.
thepossum
thepossum
3,035 posts
Nomad

Come on now. Even if bacteria and whatnot had intelligence, it would simply be impossible for them to have rights, as we would kill millions of them every day by accident. Be realistic. Just to be clear on what I meant by animals: non-human and with a multiple of cells. I hate when people say animals should have rights. Think of this situation: a hunter kills a rare species of tiger. Said hunter would go to jail. Now this: A rare tiger kills human. Tiger goes off and lives in zoo in relative comfort for the rest of it's life. Now how is that fair? And yes, I call them ITS. And what about the 1,000s of other species we kill every year? No-one seems to care about them.

wajor59
wajor59
909 posts
Nomad

Depends on how you define rights.
Somehow I predict this thread to go into a mishmash of rants about human moral that I do not wanna deal with...
I don't think humans should have the rights to hurt animals unnecessarily or treat them as products. Which they do...

Zophia called it, this thread has become woefully distorted as to true rights of animals. Even though I don't totally agree with Zophia when it comes to meat 'roducts' I do think animals should be protected from abuse, neglect, abandonment and anything else considered inhumane.
bgerm52
bgerm52
645 posts
Nomad

No and I'm a member of PETA
People For Eating Tasty Animals

thepossum
thepossum
3,035 posts
Nomad

But the fact that there are people that go through the same thing means nothing right wajor? Where are there rights?

wajor59
wajor59
909 posts
Nomad

But the fact that there are people that go through the same thing means nothing right wajor? Where are there rights?

That's a discussion for another thread. This thread is about animal rights, not human rights. No animal or human, in this century, should be treated inhumanely.
Amitkevincloskey
Amitkevincloskey
265 posts
Nomad

Animals are treated inhumanly in almost all places. The worst is when we get leather from them. They are kept in inhuman conditions without food and water for many days till they die.

SirLegendary
SirLegendary
16,585 posts
Duke

Why are humans diffirent? why are animals treated like nothing

MarioMario
MarioMario
1,212 posts
Peasant

Thats what got me too.I mean we are just like them only we can talk.I think they are some times treated like nothing cause they can't fight for themselves.I mean if you we a 6 year old it would be like taking candy from a baby.They can't do much to fight back.....unless they get on "Animals Fight Back"(the show)and kick somebody's butt.
314d1
314d1
3,817 posts
Nomad

This little thing called intelligence. Killing most animals is like killing a rock. They are virtually machines to survive, human has developed intelligence thus setting us apart.
Drace
Drace
3,880 posts
Nomad

cuzmoralityhasnologicalbasis, oh what?

Showing 286-300 of 309