ForumsWEPRShould Animals Have Rights? Why?

309 59473
thepossum
thepossum
3,035 posts
Nomad

Should animals have any rights? If you answer please explain.

• 309 Replies
Strop
Strop
10,816 posts
Bard

Are we differentiating between industrial and commercial lab testing and research using animal subjects?

Drace
Drace
3,880 posts
Nomad

I personally don't care about animals. Just don't do anything gross in front of my eyes. And if you do, hopefully it won't get on the media so I hear about it.

nonconformist
nonconformist
1,101 posts
Nomad

Strop im not totally sure. I guess testing products and new chemicals on animals is the kind of lab testing im referring to.

iPC
iPC
146 posts
Nomad

You do not need meat. You have a computer with internet and time to spare, so you aren't in any financial hardship. That means that you could probably afford to be a vegetarian, but you don't... for many reasons. One of the most prominent is that you just don't want to. Veggies don't taste as good as meat, and tofu? Eeeeeeeew! Therefor, you're inadvertently killing animals for pure enjoyment. Is that wrong? If someone comes up to you with a tiger fur coat and crocodile skin shoes, are you disgusted?

And then what exactly defines an animal? How closely related does an organism's suffering need to be to yours for it to receive pity? Horse? Cow? Dog? Cat? Hamster? Gerbil? Frog? Grasshopper? Ant? Worm? Amoeba? Oak tree? Blade of grass?

Discuss.

Strop
Strop
10,816 posts
Bard

Just don't do anything gross in front of my eyes. And if you do, hopefully it won't get on the media so I hear about it.

I think another good question is: do you have a right to demand this?
Fyrefox
Fyrefox
2,124 posts
Blacksmith

It really depends on what u mean by rights...

blackrabbit
blackrabbit
252 posts
Nomad

a better idea everyone eat chocolate, it is made from plant(cocoa bean, sugar) and it doesn't hurt animals and it tastes great

thepossum
thepossum
3,035 posts
Nomad

To the people who are asking what I define as an animal, I think it is pretty obvious. Multi-celled of course. Has a brain. It can live in the ocean, fly in the air, live in your house, whatever. But I don't consider humans animals.

Agent_86
Agent_86
2,132 posts
Nomad

Animals have rights, but they're not human. They shouldn't be put up on equal footing as you or me, but animal cruelty is wrong.

PixelSmash
PixelSmash
566 posts
Nomad

[quote=Agent_86]Animals have rights, but they're not human. They shouldn't be put up on equal footing as you or me, but animal cruelty is wrong.[/quote]

Very true. However, I think it's more an issue of where you draw the line between rights and equality. For instance... should we kill animals? Ofcourse not. But for food?
I hope I'm making a bit of sense here... can't put it to words as well as I'd want to.

tempo013
tempo013
581 posts
Nomad

animals have rights, but i also have the right to hunt for my food.

Cenere
Cenere
13,657 posts
Jester

Do any here actually go hunting? I think that might be the most humane way of getting meat...

tempo013
tempo013
581 posts
Nomad

i hunt and fish for food. usually i catch and release fish but occasionaly keep them and anything i harvest while hunting i take home and eat.

Cenere
Cenere
13,657 posts
Jester

Is it deer, or just bird and smaller game? Just wondering.

tempo013
tempo013
581 posts
Nomad

both, i haven't got a deer yet in archery season but over the weekend i shot two pheasant.

Showing 91-105 of 309