ForumsWEPRRight to search Lockers?

273 60363
thepyro222
thepyro222
2,151 posts
Peasant

Here's one that will get the AG forum going...

As a precautionary system, many schools across the nation have been searching lockers to eliminate the school of weapons and drugs that the students had. The schools had probable cause, meaning that they did have some piece of evidence that says that particular person had illegal objects. This caused an outrage with students and parents alike, saying that this was an invasion of the student's privacy. This case was taken to the supreme court, who ruled that the schools did have the right to search.

Now, what does AG think?

• 273 Replies
ComradeGamer
ComradeGamer
383 posts
Nomad

I think it's a very effective way of dealing with "The Naughty Kids". As long as you didn't do anything bad there is nothing to hide. Of course maybe having someone look at a picture of Robert Pattinson in your locker would be seen lol, but who cares it's helping kids right? So why stop.

songwriter721
songwriter721
48 posts
Nomad

I agree yet also disagree. Because it's an invasion of privacy. But it also makes it safer, ill be honest two kids were selling pot at my school, crazy huh? So they should only if they get a lead from another kid or staff member

ComradeGamer
ComradeGamer
383 posts
Nomad

There's a problem with that, the lockers isn't really our property. It's actually considerd as School property. Not really an invasion of your privacy if someone else has something that you have.

ShadowShank696
ShadowShank696
577 posts
Nomad

its not intruding your privacy cause you shouldnt be hiding anything in your locker anyway plus theyed be searching for illegal drugs or something they search for your own well being

wajor59
wajor59
909 posts
Nomad

There's a problem with that, the lockers isn't really our property. It's actually considerd as School property.

For any of you who haven't studied what happened at Columbine HS a decade ago , this is why some of us parents have trouble sleeping.

This may seem like an invasion of your personal freedoms but the schools do have to produce evidence. Weapons charges are tough on anyone 17 and older as, in the state of NC that's when you're considered an adult.

If you don't have anything to hide why should it matter? I would only become outraged if my child/student were being &quotatted down" without my prior consent or without prior notification to the parents.
breefayce
breefayce
4 posts
Nomad

Well searching lockers without ur permission is complete b.s... They shouldn't be aloud, and actually aren't aloud if ur school makes u pay for the rent of using it.

I go to a private school and pay rent for my lockers, books, laptop, along with everything else. It's not the fact that you pay to rent it, it's that the school itself owns the lockers and not you. If you personally owned the locker, then yes you would have the right to keep that personal privacy. However, you are also on the property of school grounds. Therefore, it still does not technically belong to you. Most schools have the right to search lockers if you have signed consent waivers regarding lockers. Even with the waivers signed, like people have mentioned earlier, you shouldn't have anything worth confiscating in the first place. It all depends on the school and policy given. It's a bit pointless with a vague topic, but it is not necessarily an individual's right to keep a locker private without [school's] consent.
Einfach
Einfach
1,448 posts
Nomad

How did you find this?

It's ... over a year old!!!

breefayce
breefayce
4 posts
Nomad

It's a school debate/research project.

LiLRick
LiLRick
254 posts
Nomad

This year a certain high school (which shall remain nameless for privacy) conducted their annual

drug bust
resulting in about 15 suspensions, over 5 arrests, and multiple paraphenelia and aiding and abeding charges. Later in the year, a surprise
bust
was conducted resulting an almost 50% rise in the previous statistics in 1st
bust
LiLRick
LiLRick
254 posts
Nomad

I apologize for the incorect usage of the qoute icon/button shown when making a reply.

thepyro222
thepyro222
2,151 posts
Peasant

If there is probable cause, then the schools should have every right to search students' lockers. It's ensuring safety for the entire school. I think in problem areas (I'm in MI, so for my argument's sake let's say Detroit) they should have metal detectors installed that the back packs have to go through. I wouldn't have body scans cause of jewelery, but at least if you can get back packs, and people who wear that extremely annoying loose clothing and their pants around their knees.

sasquatchcarrot
sasquatchcarrot
189 posts
Nomad

the students stuff might be in the lockers but the lockers aren't theirs. If they need to check the lockers, then go ahead, check the lockers. WHAT DO THE KIDS HAVE TO HIDE???

thepyro222
thepyro222
2,151 posts
Peasant

WHAT DO THE KIDS HAVE TO HIDE???

Drugs, alcohol, weapons... ya' know, the regular stuff.
shayneii
shayneii
2,492 posts
Peasant

The school should have every right to search the lockers. They are school property. And if it keeps crime down, I'm all for it.

If students have nothing to hide, then they shouldn't be worried about it. I know my school does it, and I'm fine with that even if it removes one ounce of illegal drugs or one weapon from my school.

Hell, if you are stupid enough to leave stuff like drugs in there, you deserve to get caught...

Squidbears
Squidbears
626 posts
Nomad

At my school they can search your car and your locker (including bags in your locker) if they have a reasonable cause... they tell us that.. so if you really want to bring drugs to school and you get caught its your own fault. Last year they brought police dogs to our school.. it was kinda exciting :P

Showing 226-240 of 273