ForumsWEPRRight to search Lockers?

273 60362
thepyro222
thepyro222
2,151 posts
Peasant

Here's one that will get the AG forum going...

As a precautionary system, many schools across the nation have been searching lockers to eliminate the school of weapons and drugs that the students had. The schools had probable cause, meaning that they did have some piece of evidence that says that particular person had illegal objects. This caused an outrage with students and parents alike, saying that this was an invasion of the student's privacy. This case was taken to the supreme court, who ruled that the schools did have the right to search.

Now, what does AG think?

• 273 Replies
harryoconnor
harryoconnor
77 posts
Peasant

the students stuff might be in the lockers but the lockers aren't theirs. If they need to check the lockers, then go ahead, check the lockers. WHAT DO THE KIDS HAVE TO HIDE???

By that argument the police should have the power to randomly search your house, you and everything you own. What do you have to hide?
Its the same with kids they don't want teachers going though their stuff. If the teachers have think they have illegal objects they should contact the police and get a search warrant.

thepyro222
thepyro222
2,151 posts
Peasant

Just a fun fact... I posted this 3 years ago and I forgot that I posted it, so when I saw my name as the first discussion I was like What... the... f$#* XD

By that argument the police should have the power to randomly search your house, you and everything you own. What do you have to hide?
Its the same with kids they don't want teachers going though their stuff. If the teachers have think they have illegal objects they should contact the police and get a search warrant.

Police should not have the power just to randomly search peoples' houses without a warrant, but the lockers, unless you pay for them, are property of the school. They're basically letting you BORROW them. They have the power to do whatever they want with that locker. If the school doesn't have a probable cause to search the locker, why would they waste their time?
Kevin4762
Kevin4762
2,421 posts
Nomad

I think the school has a right to. The students are on the school's property and should have every expectation of being searched.

Umbra7
Umbra7
27 posts
Nomad

WHAT DO THE KIDS HAVE TO HIDE???

A lot. I know people in possession of drugs and weapons, and I know who the people that deal drugs at my school are. Actually a lot of people know.

Hell, if you are stupid enough to leave stuff like drugs in there, you deserve to get caught...

This. I figure everyone knows that their school has the right to search their lockers, so why put anything valuable in them. If I have valuables, I hide them on my self.

And also, don't bring anything if you think its too valuable. People will steal things. Don't tell anybody, but I stole a knife out of a guys locker before. It was a pretty nice pocket knife. I just slipped it into my shoe and went on with the day.
RyanNC
RyanNC
53 posts
Shepherd

I think that if the students had nothing to hide then they wouldn't mind it. Also if they have personal items they should keep them with them and not in their locker.

breefayce
breefayce
4 posts
Nomad

Sorry for bringing this whole topic back into discussion haha. But as I said earlier, I think I mentioned everything necessary. I think the only thing I missed was --School's should have every right to search any locker to ensure the safety of the students.

breefayce
breefayce
4 posts
Nomad

Oh and Thepyro, I also live in MI. Using detroit as an example is perfect (except for the fact that my school is private). There are multiple students who attend my school that have metal things that are needed for school. Honestly, some schools may be able to pull this whole metal detector thing off, but I highly doubt it would succeed in my school. A few kids also have bits and pieces of metal inserted from surgery. I'm sure that would cause a problem every once in a great while. Not only do we have students who have metal, but we have projects such at art, robotics, food and nutrition (cooking), and world cultures (includes major metal projects). These are a few of the many classes that would cause complications placing a metal detector for students to walk through.

sev322
sev322
463 posts
Nomad

i think that they should check lockers, but to a certain extent. alot of schools take it to the max and search daily on ppl who don't really do anything wrong and ignore those who do, because they consider them a waste of time. Schools need to evaluate who they search before they search them to much

sev322
sev322
463 posts
Nomad

Xzeno is right about what he's saying alot of you guys are contradicting yourselves by posting. Backpacks but not lockers? WTF no sense at all they can't search everything like Xzeno said 4th amendment. Schools are trying to overpower students with bull**** half the time locker searching yes. lunch organizing and teacher chaperones, backpack seraching and gay *** shakedowns F$#@ NO!!

TheGr8est
TheGr8est
704 posts
Nomad

if they search lockers the kids will keep it with them and if they search them they will find some hiding place etc...
or check everything or nothing

valkery
valkery
1,255 posts
Nomad

Look, if the child may have a weapon or an illegal substance that he can either sell or kill someone with, it is in the best interests of everyone to let the police or the school search the lockers. At my school, we even have drug dogs come in to search lockers for drugs. It even says in my schools hand book that the school retains the right to search for drugs and weapons in the lockers.

If you think about it, if the person had nothing to hid, they wouldn't get mad about it, right? Also, the child may be using the locker for the school year, but the school still owns the locker. It is their locker to search and theirs to give out. The child who uses his or her locker to hold illegal things should be aware of this fact.

So basically what I am saying is that if you want to hold illegal things in your locker at school, expect to go to prison or Juvee for a long time, if you get caught.

Ghgt99
Ghgt99
1,894 posts
Nomad

Last week, they found some weed and some knives in a kid's locker, so he was expelled and sent to juvie. And do you know how it all started? They were talking about gangs/clans. On facebook games!

Some parent got freaked out so they searched their lockers and they found weed. So he got expelled and they were searching anybody's locker who even talked to him.

kiensho
kiensho
2 posts
Nomad

I right from a country were those rights are less than something from the past. You should protect them even when it is so tempting because the next step will be they need no excuse to do what they want.

TheGr8est
TheGr8est
704 posts
Nomad

I right from a country were those rights are less than something from the past. You should protect them even when it is so tempting because the next step will be they need no excuse to do what they want.

ok i didn't understand a word of that...
which language do you speak?
michael96412
michael96412
85 posts
Farmer

well there has been alot of drug activity going in america for a while.. so i think it is smart that they check for any just so that the students can be safe and besides what privacy are they invading!? Its not like they are going to steal there books, but if any books were missing then the school should get sued.. in general its a good idea and it should be done everywhere

Showing 241-255 of 273