The Armor Games website will be down for maintenance on Monday 10/7/2024
starting at 10:00 AM Pacific time. We apologize for the inconvenience.

ForumsWEPREvolution, creationism and the school cirriculum

697 104876
samy
samy
4,871 posts
Nomad

Well to start out i dont beleive in evoltuion so the fact that other things cant be taught really ticks me off but i just want to see what people think and why.

• 697 Replies
firefighterpaul
firefighterpaul
33 posts
Nomad

Also I have a question, according to evolution our world should be improving, we should be heading for a perfect world and humanity, our next evolutionary leap. But according to creationism our world is steadily heading for it's on destruction, were getting worse. Turn on the news...which one seems more likely.

good to know you are a pessmist...
samy
samy
4,871 posts
Nomad

good to know you are a pessmist...

Not the point of my post...but look at human nature now and then compare it to say fifty years ago on average the world and humans are much worse.
firefighterpaul
firefighterpaul
33 posts
Nomad

Not the point of my post...but look at human nature now and then compare it to say fifty years ago on average the world and humans are much worse.

No civil rights, more pollution, nazi-christian socity and the KKK was really pop....
samy
samy
4,871 posts
Nomad

Again i said look at humans, also there's still plenty of neo-nazis and the KKK still exists, also can you honestly tell me our world is heading for &quoterfection."

firefighterpaul
firefighterpaul
33 posts
Nomad

Technology owns a lot more then it did back then.. perfection is an opinion btw

samy
samy
4,871 posts
Nomad

Technology owns a lot more then it did back then.. perfection is an opinion btw

I like how your avoiding my question.
firefighterpaul
firefighterpaul
33 posts
Nomad

I like how your avoiding my question.

I like how you are too dumb to relise that you didnt ask a question
Zootsuit_riot
Zootsuit_riot
1,523 posts
Nomad

Anyway, here's part of my point: Evolution and Creation are theories of how the earth began,

Well, you've got half of that right. Evolution explains how human beings and other biological beings got to the point of where they are now.

Also I have a question, according to evolution our world should be improving, we should be heading for a perfect world and humanity, our next evolutionary leap.

You've got the basic fundamentals of natural selection wrong. Those who have the traits to survive, survive, and those who do not, die. If a lion has a gimp leg, and cannot catch a gazelle, it starves and dies. As far as I know, there are no evolutionary "leaps," just the passing down of genes that survive over time.

But according to creationism our world is steadily heading for it's on destruction, were getting worse. Turn on the news...which one seems more likely.

In the case we are talking about, evolution only applies to biological beings. Society itself can evolve, sure, but this isn't the type of evolution that we are talking about in this thread. Natural selection doesn't exactly render humans more &quoterfect," just more able to survive. (The #1 function of any biological being)

Also, news is meant to be negative.
samy
samy
4,871 posts
Nomad

You've got the basic fundamentals of natural selection wrong. Those who have the traits to survive, survive, and those who do not, die. If a lion has a gimp leg, and cannot catch a gazelle, it starves and dies. As far as I know, there are no evolutionary "leaps," just the passing down of genes that survive over time.

Actauly survival of the fittest is refering to what organism has the most offspring in a set time. Also if you could just ignore fire fighter kid it'd be nice your very interesting to debate with he on the other hand is not. But it is true that through evolution we should be heading for a more perfect world, and if what you said about just passing down genes is true evolution can't be right there has to be leaps, the dna has to change for new organisms to be made.
Zootsuit_riot
Zootsuit_riot
1,523 posts
Nomad

Actauly survival of the fittest is refering to what organism has the most offspring in a set time.

What? No. If there is a certain type of fruit that can only be eaten by long-beaked birds because it has to penetrate the hide to get to the edible part, and it is the only fruit in the area, then short-beaked birds wouldn't survive. Did you not see my example of the lion with the gazelle?

But it is true that through evolution we should be heading for a more perfect world,

We aren't talking about society.

and if what you said about just passing down genes is true evolution can't be right there has to be leaps, the dna has to change for new organisms to be made.

The term "leaps" refer to huge changes over a short period of time, which doesn't happen. The animals that have the suitable traits to live in an area survive. Every once in a while, a genetic mutation occurs and gives the species new features that enhance it's ability to survive. That, sir, is evolution.
Communist
Communist
522 posts
Nomad

The thing that boggles me is this, if you allow religion to be taught to kids, then that means if one child said 'Hey! I beleive in the giant flying spaggetti monster!' then you'll end up with a bunch of religions that in the end, shouldn't be apart of your life unless you're considering adopting a new religion!

Aaroniscool
Aaroniscool
254 posts
Nomad

The term "leaps" refer to huge changes over a short period of time, which doesn't happen.

Two Words: Punctuated Equilibrium

The thing that boggles me is this, if you allow religion to be taught to kids, then that means if one child said 'Hey! I beleive in the giant flying spaggetti monster!' then you'll end up with a bunch of religions that in the end, shouldn't be apart of your life unless you're considering adopting a new religion!

Hey! Last I checked, This country is a Democracy! That means that the Majority rules.

Ladies and Gents, the CIA World Factbook:
Protestant 51.3%, Roman Catholic 23.9%, Mormon 1.7%, other Christian 1.6%, Jewish 1.7%, Buddhist 0.7%, Muslim 0.6%, other or unspecified 2.5%, unaffiliated 12.1%, none 4% (2007 est.)

The way I interpret it, Those that are of the Christian religion make up over 3/4 of the total American population. Why not let the majority rule?
Willsoccer725
Willsoccer725
56 posts
Nomad

Ok the world needs to stop caring if students in their classes are a certain religion. As a student myself, I think that you should be able to believe whatever the f*** you want to w/o all of the school influences

Ladies and Gents, the CIA World Factbook:

Ok nobody cares. If you have the tim eto look that up, you HAVE NO LIFE
Zootsuit_riot
Zootsuit_riot
1,523 posts
Nomad

Hey! Last I checked, This country is a Democracy! That means that the Majority rules.

Hey last I checked, we have a constitution!

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof...

As long as you go to a federally-funded, private school, they cannot legally teach religion. Intelligent Design is an offshoot supported by Christians, and just a cover up for Creationism, which has no scientific backing.
Aaroniscool
Aaroniscool
254 posts
Nomad

Hey last I checked, we have a constitution!

Yes, and notice, also, that what you just quoted is the first amendment. A change to the original constitution. Due to the excercise of Democracy.
Showing 361-375 of 697