ForumsWEPREvolution, creationism and the school cirriculum

697 104842
samy
samy
4,871 posts
Nomad

Well to start out i dont beleive in evoltuion so the fact that other things cant be taught really ticks me off but i just want to see what people think and why.

• 697 Replies
Parsat
Parsat
2,180 posts
Blacksmith

lol we are talking about were life came from or the universe....Life came from pools of biochemicals. lipids, protien, amino acids, and such then from that life evolved,

Where is your empirical evidence of early biochemicals? Surely if these pools of biochemicals had some chemical content conducive to the formation of life, we would surely find evidence of it in the rocks.
d_dude
d_dude
3,523 posts
Peasant

well this kinda science way...there used to be nothing then something went wrong BOOM explosion happens bunch of clusters all over the place. they form galaxies. clusters inside that turn into suns and planets. something happens... bacteria TA DA! that starts evolving then we come along. galaxies are moving farther away soon they get too far away BOOM every living thing freezes

razaki
razaki
263 posts
Nomad

It's funny when evolutionists say they hate it when Christians stuff their beliefs down other people's throats when they have a monopoly on public education and stuff their beliefs on every child that is taught through the public school system

I understand what you're saying, but it's not logical to compare it to shoving beliefs down the children's throats because of one main reason: it's not a belief. It's a scientific theory backed by the vast majority of biologists, geologists, and other branches of science. It's backed by mounds of evidence, and it's purely based in rationality, experimentation, and observation.

Creationism is based on an old book written by a bunch of old guys that's been translated in and out of languages countless times.

See the difference?

Monkey to Man?
Seriously? Think about that for a second...

Oh...my...are you serious?

You REALLY think that evolution is a monkey to a man? *sigh*

Evolution states that homo sapiens and what we would consider to be a monkey evolved from common ancestors, not in a linear structure.

If I'm not mistaken, we are 98% genetically identical to a chimpanzee.

How can you NOT say that we are evolutionarily related?
Cenere
Cenere
13,657 posts
Jester

Some of the creationismal theories actually just state taht there was a somewhat guided evolution... Again, I a refering to primitive animals having advanced organs and so on.
As for evolution. There is no doubt that there have been some kind of evolution all through time, the quiestion is, have there been something guiding it into what it is?

theone99
theone99
3,041 posts
Shepherd

Nah it shouldn't be,i mean it COULD be,but we have christian and other religious based schools and no doubt they'll het P.O.'ed.

Hectichermit
Hectichermit
1,828 posts
Bard

lol cerene you are talkin about intelligent design well theres another branch of science studying how the environment and even habits a lifeform effects its genetics, yes what you do can have an effect on your genes just takes a while for the genetics to get to a point of creating something like an organs or sumthin..also theres proof such as your appendix that you body adapts to the need of an environment, early man didnt know wut was edible supposley the appendex was used for toxins

Parsat
Parsat
2,180 posts
Blacksmith

But theres no backing for Christian beliefs, aside of a book and words. Theres no real physical proof.
You do realize that, right? Thats why evolution is more logical.

I challenge those words of yours.
Cenere
Cenere
13,657 posts
Jester

Intelligent design is considered Creationism, as it has some kind of intelligence behind the evolution.
Seemingly the theories behind Intelligent design is not good enough to be considered equal to evolution, though it have most of the same theories, but also ask some questions about how things can be like they are. We are talking jellyfish with a super advanced eye for the species, as an example. How come the jellyfish, being rather unintelligent and just floating and stuff, how come they have an eye able to see shapes, light, colours and that being rather good?
Anyway, I wish I could show you, but I only have only seen the material in my native language, and that is about five years ago...

Carlie
Carlie
6,823 posts
Blacksmith

Intelligent design is considered Creationism, as it has some kind of intelligence behind the evolution.

Not exactly, this is why they came up with Intelligent Design. Creationism implies that the Cristian God created everything. They now hide behind the name Intelligent Design (which only refers to a 'designed', not one god over another) to try and get it taught in school, because it sounds less religious. But it is the same thing.

Seemingly the theories behind Intelligent design is not good enough to be considered equal to evolution, though it have most of the same theories, but also ask some questions about how things can be like they are.

The thing is, there is NO evidence for intelligent design. It is all a bunch of hot air. They try to come out with this intelligent sounding front with a lot of fancy talk, but there is really nothing behind it. There is nothing scientific about it, and yet they want it taught in science classes as an alternative to evolution. The fact is, intelligent design is not science. It does not follow the scientific method, nothing has been published in the primary research even supporting intelligent design.

Sure, they have a lot of arguments for it, but there is nothing to back it up.

When we get right down to it though, we all know that the 'designer' that ID refers to is God. And it violates the separation of church and state to teach something so inherently religious in public schools.
Cenere
Cenere
13,657 posts
Jester

It does not follow the scientific method, nothing has been published in the primary research even supporting intelligent design

But there are some suspicious things about evolution, but I tend to post the same all the time...

Anyway, look up creationism on wikipedia, ID will be there, that is why I said it.

we all know that the 'designer' that ID refers to is God.

To quote Strop: SCIENTOLOGY!!
rougie
rougie
45 posts
Nomad

Evolution is the most popular scientifically based explanation of the way things came to be the way they are. The problem with teaching creationism is this: school are funded with public money, and in the US as well as in Canada (not sure about Europe), there must be a distinction between religion and state. To pay instructors to teach students about the beginning of life as dictated by the bible goes against these rules.
I think that if you want to be taught about creationism, the best places to go are a) parents, b) your local church/synagogue/mosque/place of worship and speak to a religious leader, or (even better) go to a catholic or baptist (or other religiously funded) school.
I do not think that creationism has a place in the public school system.

Carlie
Carlie
6,823 posts
Blacksmith

But there are some suspicious things about evolution, but I tend to post the same all the time...

Anyway, look up creationism on wikipedia, ID will be there, that is why I said it.

Yes, but people who advocate intelligent design try to distance the theory as far as possible from creationism since it is associated with God. We know better. But they try increasingly hard to separate the two.

Evolution is the most popular scientifically based explanation of the way things came to be the way they are. The problem with teaching creationism is this: school are funded with public money, and in the US as well as in Canada (not sure about Europe), there must be a distinction between religion and state.

I think that if you want to be taught about creationism, the best places to go are a) parents, b) your local church/synagogue/mosque/place of worship and speak to a religious leader, or (even better) go to a catholic or baptist (or other religiously funded) school.
I do not think that creationism has a place in the public school system.

Yes yes yes! I agree with this all the way. Separation of church and state is crucial, and teaching something that advocates the Christian religion (even if that is what our country was originally founded on), goes against what America represent as a 'melting pot.' To differentially represent one religious ideal over another in a public school with students of all nationalities and religions is not fair.
razaki
razaki
263 posts
Nomad

How come the jellyfish, being rather unintelligent and just floating and stuff, how come they have an eye able to see shapes, light, colours and that being rather good?

Evolution is not based on the intelligence of the creature itself. It is just about steadily improving over time. You don't have to be complex to improve yourself.
njarvis10
njarvis10
110 posts
Nomad

I think they should teach religion too.

rougie
rougie
45 posts
Nomad

They can teach religious theory as an optional course, it can't be mandatory (again returning to my previous point of schools being publicly funded). Teaching an exclusive religion is what churches are for.

Showing 106-120 of 697