ForumsWEPREvolution, creationism and the school cirriculum

697 104835
samy
samy
4,871 posts
Nomad

Well to start out i dont beleive in evoltuion so the fact that other things cant be taught really ticks me off but i just want to see what people think and why.

• 697 Replies
Cenere
Cenere
13,657 posts
Jester

Flag
Science does contain facts.
A scientific theory is not just a guess, it's as close to proving something as you're going to come, realistically.
And you can't just teach the "major" religions if you're talking about I.D., because it implies that only certain religions' theories are valid enough to be discussed. You would literally have to explain every...single...theory out there, which would be effectively impossible.

Scientific facts are only temporary, and as you said yourself "It is as close to proving something". Not 100 percent.
As for the religion part, how come you are so against Religion as a subject? I had it in high school, and learned a lot.
Major religions would be Christianity, Islam, Judaism, Hinduism and Buddism, along with some of the tribal religions to introduce the subject.

It does not have much to do with the evolutional topic, this.
Flipski
Flipski
623 posts
Nomad

I am not that religious, but in all fairness I think creation should be taught in schools. Evolution is a theory and creation is too so I think both should be taught. Since there are many different theories within Christianity, I don't think any specific religion or view should be taught, but ideas from a few should be given.

tempo013
tempo013
581 posts
Nomad

nothing should be taught to anyone. all the theories should be proposed to students may become familiar with them and choose as they see fit. teaching them is forcing it upon them but introducing them is offering it to them. i am right.

Flipski
Flipski
623 posts
Nomad

Ya, well thats what I meant. If you teach multiple theories it obviously presents a variety of ideas, and no one ever said they have to chose one, they can learn all of the possibilities, create their own theories. Or chose not to believe any. Just because you learn about something, doesn't mean you are forced to believe it.

razaki
razaki
263 posts
Nomad

I'm not against teaching religion as a subject. As a SEPARATE subject, and not teaching it as being some sort of "alternative theory" to evolution.

Teach it as what it is: cultural beliefs that certain groups of people have/have had throughout the millenia.

It can be very interesting. I love to learn about religion and the different subtleties that have developed throughout time, but I don't love the idea of teaching people that creation is in any way, shape, or form even worthy to be called a scientific theory.

[/quote]Evolution is a theory and creation is too so I think both should be taught.

This is exactly what I mean. Evolution is a scientific theory, not AT ALL like what the word "theory" means when it's applied to creationism. Creation is a belief, a religious belief. Evolution is a scientific theory supported by mounds of evidence and observation.

It does not have much to do with the evolutional topic, this.[quote]

I still disagree with you on this point too. ;-)

Evolution is the opposite of creationism when we talk about teaching them in school, so by challenging the authenticity of teaching evolution, you are also advocating for the credibility of teaching creationism. If creationism is shown to be discredited, pseudoscientific, or - surprise! - strictly religious, it cannot and should not be taught as a scientific theory.
Flipski
Flipski
623 posts
Nomad

believe in it. I meant to say.

razaki
razaki
263 posts
Nomad

Whoops, I just realized that I formatted my post incorrectly. For the second half, beginning with "Evolution is a theory and creation is too...", the normal text is quotes and the italics is me talking.

Sorry, but can't edit the post.

Cenere
Cenere
13,657 posts
Jester

There seem to be different forms of Creationism too, some tightly connected with science.
Oh well, My oppinion:
Yes, creationism should be introduced in biology or what scientific subject you have, but no more than that. But give the students the possibility of finding out about the different forms of creationism, as well as how evolution works and so on.
Both should be introduced, but I do not think any subject should be all about it. There are more important topics than evolution, especialy because the theories are not that developed.

Aaroniscool
Aaroniscool
254 posts
Nomad

but I don't love the idea of teaching people that creation is in any way, shape, or form even worthy to be called a scientific theory.

Vise Versa for Christians.

If the Creationist theory wasn't a theory, it wouldn't be considered to be taught. Same with evolution.

It's funny when evolutionists say they hate it when Christians stuff their beliefs down other people's throats when they have a monopoly on public education and stuff their beliefs on every child that is taught through the public school system

Hypocritical much? (Not aimed at you, personally, razaki, but to evolutionists in general)
tempo013
tempo013
581 posts
Nomad

not every child is taught through public education

Parsat
Parsat
2,180 posts
Blacksmith

I think that there is a fallacy in the section header question in that it implies that evolution itself can beget life. Evolution is dependent on breeding populations to occur; it cannot actually create anything. Evolution is simply an expedient synecdoche for the majority of the scientific community's belief that we came for nothing, by nothing, and from nothing.

Hectichermit
Hectichermit
1,828 posts
Bard

lol we are talking about were life came from or the universe....Life came from pools of biochemicals. lipids, protien, amino acids, and such then from that life evolved, also the thing about religion versus science is simply belief...I can believe that Dragons and Magic Exists but You can say go find a dragon and show me some magic, All science theories have some sorta empirical evidences while religion is strictly told threw stories and such, also if you do a little more research science must have some sorta evidence in nature, you know that thing they build the Large Hadron Collider they are trying to figure out the nature of particles...so yea you can say religion is great, science is wrong but what happens when you dont have any evidence of the belief

samy
samy
4,871 posts
Nomad

.so yea you can say religion is great, science is wrong but what happens when you dont have any evidence of the belief

Then u get evolution
Led17RUSH
Led17RUSH
39 posts
Nomad

Definately not.
I do NOT believe in evolution, I think God put us all here and tried to perfect us through the years.
Monkey to Man?
Seriously? Think about that for a second...
It's ridiculous!
I was taught that it was evolution but I did not believe it.
And teachers aren't supposed to teach you one point of view anyway.

Zootsuit_riot
Zootsuit_riot
1,523 posts
Nomad

It's funny when evolutionists say they hate it when Christians stuff their beliefs down other people's throats when they have a monopoly on public education and stuff their beliefs on every child that is taught through the public school system

If you've got a problem with evolution, send your kid to private school, or teach them creation at home or at church. Problem solved.
Showing 91-105 of 697