ForumsThe Tavern[old] Immovable object vs. Unstoppable force

110 25387
kareybh
kareybh
158 posts
Nomad

What happens when an unstoppable force hits an immovable object?

I've tossed this around at school, and I've gotten some interesting answers. I'll post them after this picks up a bit and i see some of your ideas.

• 110 Replies
Lige
Lige
1,568 posts
Nomad

It depends on the strength of the person using the unstoppable force, whether he crits, and whether or not he is using an ability. also, It depends on the armor rating of the character using the immovable object.

Graham
Graham
8,051 posts
Nomad

it doesn't have to be a person using it could be just a force like gravity

the force could be in any strength that will not make the object move

it won't stop but it also will not move the object

Cenere
Cenere
13,657 posts
Jester

The object will still "move" forward, but as the immobile object absorb the energy, none of the objects will actually move.
The unstoppable object have not stopped, it just cannot move anymore. Much like you trying to push a wall or something. The force is still "moving" against the wall, but you cannot get the wall to move.
if that made any sense...
Kinetic energy is easily abosrbed by other objects, often transformed to heat.

firetail_madness
firetail_madness
20,591 posts
Blacksmith

The point I think is that neither the force nor the object is going to go anywhere.

Force is still being applied by the force, but is not having an effect on the immovable object. So basically nothing happens.

Graham
Graham
8,051 posts
Nomad

it's also impossible to have an immovable object unless you count absolute zero in which case there can be no force because that would be motionless too

Cenere
Cenere
13,657 posts
Jester

Force is still being applied by the force, but is not having an effect on the immovable object. So basically nothing happens.

Yeees!! What he said!

it's also impossible to have an immovable object unless you count absolute zero in which case there can be no force because that would be motionless too

Yes, the object would probably vibrate, but all in all, the moving force is moving, and the unmoving object is not? Really basically, that is.
plokkey
plokkey
4,571 posts
Jester

So basically nothing happens.

Nope, Graham is right. No way nothing can happen. What happens to the energy used to push the unstoppable force??? Energy can't just disappear.

If there are such things as Immovable Object and Unstoppable forces, my guess is that the Immovable Object would liquefy. (I have bad educated guesses)
Cenere
Cenere
13,657 posts
Jester

I know!! A time/space distortion will appear, making the force skip the object!! /blah

Somehow I think both will sieze to exist, like material and anti-material meeting. But as nothing ever will exist that can prove this, we will never know?
Other than the moving force not really moving and the unmoving object not really being unmoving...

Stormchaser
Stormchaser
278 posts
Nomad

The immovable object is oxygen. The unstoppable force is gravity. Oxygen because it's immovable you can't move oxygen. Gravity, it's unstoppable will always keep going.

Graham
Graham
8,051 posts
Nomad

hahaha

wave your hand in the air and you've moved oxygen
pour some water and you've moved oxygen

atoms are always moving! there still hasn't been a lab to make it to absolute 0 in which case atoms are motionless

Cenere
Cenere
13,657 posts
Jester

And it is more or less possible to break gravity, making places where there no gravity is.. It might be working outside, but not inside~

Skaterboy101
Skaterboy101
10 posts
Nomad

This is a very interesting topic i think that it would blow the world up by creating so much force buildup!!!!!!!!!

Gantic
Gantic
11,891 posts
King

OMG! What are you guys doing to science?! My eyes! They bleed!

Otherwise, the responses here are rather amusing and/or humorous, even if they go against all known science.

Graham
Graham
8,051 posts
Nomad

grr i can't think of any unstoppable forces other than the obvious everything is one

but say they aren't moving perceptually

empty space (vaccum) might be one

Graham
Graham
8,051 posts
Nomad

every solid gas and liquid are unstoppable because the atoms movement is unstoppable

i still can't think of another perceptually immovable and unstoppable object

Showing 1-15 of 110