ForumsThe Tavern[old] Immovable object vs. Unstoppable force

110 25385
kareybh
kareybh
158 posts
Nomad

What happens when an unstoppable force hits an immovable object?

I've tossed this around at school, and I've gotten some interesting answers. I'll post them after this picks up a bit and i see some of your ideas.

• 110 Replies
Cenere
Cenere
13,657 posts
Jester

How would the force stop moving, if it is unstoppable.
By "moving" I mean a slight vibration of its molecyles from the energy transfered from the force to the object. Basic physics, I guess. But might as well be heat energy instead of kinetic energy, though it would still make the molecyles move a bit.

jond
jond
267 posts
Nomad

It depends if you hit at and angle. On top or below would all depend on how far the immovable force would go.

kingmike123
kingmike123
383 posts
Peasant

the immovable object i think idk

terrorx
terrorx
18 posts
Nomad

just kick him if hes a guy and try to be friends if its a girl

RugganBor
RugganBor
563 posts
Nomad

neither?

sense
sense
1,036 posts
Nomad

The Unstoppable Force would move to hit the Immovable Object, but the Immovable Object would stay still. The Unstoppable Force would then move around the Immovable Object and search for a Movable Object... Especially if the Immovable Object had only a little surface area, not unlike a bullet...

supersmiley
supersmiley
842 posts
Nomad

yeah i agree with sense

Shadow867
Shadow867
147 posts
Nomad

I think sense's answer sums it up.

brat123
brat123
31 posts
Nomad

There would be giant shockwave.

sense
sense
1,036 posts
Nomad

Thank you!!!!! Just some logic... It would be interesting if the Immovable Object was so big, that it cover everything...

(If that was so... There wouldn't be a Unstoppable Force... Nothing to start it off...)

sense
sense
1,036 posts
Nomad

Hey, even though its not physically correct, I have an idea...

Lets say that the Immovable Object, is concrete, and the Unstoppable Force is a car... The Unstoppable Force would collide with the Immovable Object, and may damage it... Now... The Unstoppable Force hit the edge of the Immoveable Object, and rebounded, losing speed, and no longer Unstoppable... The Immovable Object, was also damaged, and no longer was it Immovable...

What do you think of that...

Fritz_Rublehem
Fritz_Rublehem
1,076 posts
Nomad

The two would hit each other and there would be alot of friction, but I don't think either of them would do anything.

sense
sense
1,036 posts
Nomad

But the Unstoppable Force would stop, or the Immovable Object would move... Not possible by the standards set in this thread...

CubanFrog
CubanFrog
480 posts
Nomad

The Unstoppable Force would just keep going to the Immovable Object.

Agent_86
Agent_86
2,132 posts
Nomad

This is physically impossible, because for either an unstoppable force or an immovable object to exist, both would have to be infinite, which is impossible in a finite universe.

Showing 31-45 of 110