ForumsThe Tavern[old] Immovable object vs. Unstoppable force

110 25383
kareybh
kareybh
158 posts
Nomad

What happens when an unstoppable force hits an immovable object?

I've tossed this around at school, and I've gotten some interesting answers. I'll post them after this picks up a bit and i see some of your ideas.

• 110 Replies
orion732
orion732
617 posts
Nomad

I have 4, but it all depends on (If the force and object are sentient) whether they want to go head to head, or (If they aren't sentient) which direction they are headed in.
1. They meet each other with such a colission it destroys the universe.
2. The unstoppable force is diverted around the immovable object
3. nothing exists, so there is no force or object
4. Technically, everything can be described as energy, so it would be energy meeting energy. each would pass through each other without harming each other, but taking on attributes of the other.

Armorkage
Armorkage
247 posts
Nomad

I have 4, but it all depends on (If the force and object are sentient) whether they want to go head to head, or (If they aren't sentient) which direction they are headed in.
1. They meet each other with such a colission it destroys the universe.
2. The unstoppable force is diverted around the immovable object
3. nothing exists, so there is no force or object
4. Technically, everything can be described as energy, so it would be energy meeting energy. each would pass through each other without harming each other, but taking on attributes of the other.

good that. i totally agree
orion732
orion732
617 posts
Nomad

Even with number 3? Even by my standards, that's stretching it.

dacer
dacer
2,820 posts
Nomad

somthing learned in science, um the movable object totally stops and the imovable force wil move at the same speed or somthing, google it.

Jack8black8
Jack8black8
115 posts
Nomad

well it depends what the Immovable object is cause if its a box hot glued to the floor the Unstoppable force will probley go around it or stip over it.

sense
sense
1,036 posts
Nomad

Hmm.... I like some of the answers that I'm getting... But I don't agree with some of them... Before you post your answer, read this....

THIS IS NOT REAL LIFE!!!!

Just because it cannot happen here, doesn't mean that it cannot happen in the parallel universe, which these forces and objects are possible...

Do NOT say that the Unstoppable Force will collide with the Immovable Object, and simply stop...

Orion732... I like your answer...

Pixie214
Pixie214
5,838 posts
Peasant

The unstoppable force would say "excuse me Miss" and the Immovable object would say "Who are you calling, Miss" the force then says "sorry I have a cold". They then get into a conversation about whether the totalitarian goverments that rule the planet partition information out in such a way to the docile masses that allows them to further their own power through hate and fear rather than spread love and pace. The object felt that there was a select few in the world secretly ruling it and the world governments wre just a charade of democracy to placate the masses. However the force felt that somehow sunconsciously the mass population of the world alreasy knew but contunied like sheep to be herded towards the abattoir of mundality.

sense
sense
1,036 posts
Nomad

That's what I'm talking about.... We want answers... Not a story...

17dman
17dman
786 posts
Peasant

Hmm well It depends if unstopable force was like a type of gust thing like wind because if its was wind its would go around the immovable object but if it was like a wall it would collide thus making both cease to exist

sense
sense
1,036 posts
Nomad

That is Impossible... This is a parallel universe, and in this universe both of them have to exist...

Jack8black8
Jack8black8
115 posts
Nomad

well lets say a Unstoppable force hits a Immovable object I got 3 answers
-there is no such thing as a Immovable object, everthing can move
-the Unstoppable force will go around, through, what ever way it can, but it can't move the Immovable object cause it Immovable.
-the Immovable object has a hole in the middle and the Unstoppable force, just goes through the hole

Pixie214
Pixie214
5,838 posts
Peasant

I'll have you know I have an immovable object in a shoe box and an unstoppable force hidden under a tea cosy. I asked if they would like to meet they did and that was the result. (honest)

One theory from HHGTTG a giant sign will appear saying "Levl Up" (some say this has already happened)

A universe in which there exists such a thing as an irresistible force is therefore a universe which cannot also contain an immovable object. And a universe which contains an immovable object cannot therefore also contain an irresistible force.

Or...

A constant and infinite flow of energy from te force could be "absorbed" by the infinite mass and inertia of the object. Both would appear as if resting and like no transfer was taking place. To go with Newtons third law "To every action there is an equal and opposite reaction." the object would push back with same force making it also an unstopable force.

sense I have to say I prefered the story much more than this odd phylisophical science.

Tricks222
Tricks222
251 posts
Nomad

It depends on multiple varibles, like fiction, gravity, mass and others. Its fun to watch a collison of an immovable object and unstoppible objects.

sense
sense
1,036 posts
Nomad

Then don't add to the philosophical conversation Pixie214...

Jack8black8, There can be in the parallel universe...

Tricks, we are talking generally...

Pixie214
Pixie214
5,838 posts
Peasant

Then don't add to the philosophical conversation

I want to add I just don't see were it will get us. The hole point of a paradox is that it is well paradoxical. It would be better just to have a paradox thread so we could discuss more of them ( I know I quite like Schrodingers cat).
Showing 61-75 of 110