ForumsThe Tavern[old] Immovable object vs. Unstoppable force

110 25384
kareybh
kareybh
158 posts
Nomad

What happens when an unstoppable force hits an immovable object?

I've tossed this around at school, and I've gotten some interesting answers. I'll post them after this picks up a bit and i see some of your ideas.

• 110 Replies
Zega
Zega
6,921 posts
Peasant

The two would hit each other and there would be alot of friction, but I don't think either of them would do anything.

Exactly.

Nothing will change, they will just be there forever.
Armorkage
Armorkage
247 posts
Nomad

You know what? I have an idea none of you said!

Lets say the Immovable object is a wall and the unstoppable object is a rocket smaller than the wall. i think the rocket will simply pass through the wall, leaving a hole behind. and look! the wall didn't move, it just broke!

Zega
Zega
6,921 posts
Peasant

Lets say the Immovable object is a wall and the unstoppable object is a rocket smaller than the wall. i think the rocket will simply pass through the wall, leaving a hole behind. and look! the wall didn't move, it just broke!

But now the unstoppable force isn't a rocket.
Armorkage
Armorkage
247 posts
Nomad

yes it is

Armorkage
Armorkage
247 posts
Nomad

I just came up with this new theory called "The stick theorem". It says that if an immovable object is hit, the kinetic energy is passed to all surrounding objects. Also, if the immovable object is hit by an unstoppable force, the kinetic energy that is infinite will stick the surrounding things to the immovable object forever. For example, we have two same-sized cubes, one immovable and one unstoppable. Also, the immovable cube is on planet Earth. What happens when the two cubes hit? The entire Earth sticks to the cube and moves it the unstoppable cube's direction.
oo-other object
inf-infinite

Zega
Zega
6,921 posts
Peasant

And how would I understand anything what you just said? XD

texcido
texcido
320 posts
Nomad

Stick theorems equation: un>im+oo=>un+oo>inf

Although it looks pretty childish, this one still is one of the best I have seen and agree with.
Armorkage
Armorkage
247 posts
Nomad

Although it looks pretty childish, this one still is one of the best I have seen and agree with.

Hey! Why is that childish??????????
sense
sense
1,036 posts
Nomad

You guys... This is an parallel universe, and even though that is not possible here, it might be possible in the other universe... The rocket could not go through the wall, because a part of that wall moved... Impossible by the standards set.

texcido
texcido
320 posts
Nomad

Hey! Why is that childish??????????

Sorry, it's just hard to make it look serious with some + and >
But I totaly agree with what you said.
sense
sense
1,036 posts
Nomad

Yeah..... Anyone else gotta theory???

Armorkage
Armorkage
247 posts
Nomad

ya, meh aghhaihn! brain hurta sance za last one, but watcha zis!
(don't try to understand that, it took ME 4 hours)

Theorem of spreading destruction. This theorem is possible if The Stick Theorem isn't (that means the immovable object is in contact with absolute nothing, aka being in space). In the stick theorem, the kinetic force of the unstoppable force was passed to the objects touching the immovable force, making them move. But if the immovable object is in contact with nothing, then the kinetic force will be freed entirely from the object, spreading in the form of a sphere. And because the unstoppable force never actually "stops", the sphere will spread in every direction with the initial speed of the unstoppable force for ever. Any object that touches that sphere will be bounced off, because the energy that is infinite tends to remain in perfect sphere form, and that means you just created a new universe!
sp-sphere
v(un)-unstoppable force's speed
inf-infinite

Fritz_Rublehem
Fritz_Rublehem
1,076 posts
Nomad

For them to exist, there must be an infinate amount of force or immobility of the object, and that just cannot be done in a world that is finitive.

Armorkage
Armorkage
247 posts
Nomad

For them to exist, there must be an infinate amount of force or immobility of the object, and that just cannot be done in a world that is finitive.

the world isnt finitive, it is infinite

if you look at my theorem of spreading destruction r theorem of stick, you will see i explained the collision will create an infinite-lenght process
sense
sense
1,036 posts
Nomad

Hmm... I will have to think of a theory to go with yours... And Fritz, yes about the heroscape thing...

Showing 46-60 of 110