ForumsWEPRWhaling

34 7105
Carlie
Carlie
6,843 posts
Blacksmith

I am curious to see whether you guys think if whaling should be illegal or not. This is a big issue right now, with Japan already launching a huge whaling expedition, estimated to bring in 935 minke whales, and 50 fine whales.

As a marine enthusiast, you can probably guess where my opinion lies. But I am interested to see what other people think.

• 34 Replies
prescot222
prescot222
10 posts
Nomad

yes it should... well if u care about animals n stuff...

i live in the pacific northwest so its a big deal here and i guess it should be illegal

NoNameC68
NoNameC68
5,043 posts
Shepherd

Whales are not abundant enough to be hunted. Evin if they were, I beleive that it would be wrong to hunt such intellegent creatures.

kingryan
kingryan
4,196 posts
Farmer

i guess that whaling should stop....
but if they stop whale hunting... should they also stop killing cows and chickens and rabbits and fish and kangaroos. oh and also the trees. protect the trees....man

Mr_Hobo_2100
Mr_Hobo_2100
153 posts
Nomad

i would make it illegal except for the inuits of alaska simply b/c thats thir way of life

Carlie
Carlie
6,843 posts
Blacksmith

Well, but we breed cows and chickens specifically to kill them, and there is actually a market for it. As far as whaling goes, we do not increase their populations, just decrease them. And they have an extremely long gestation period, so it takes a long time for their populations to increase.

But what bothers me is they say it is 'scientific research', when they do not conduct research. It has been shown you do not have to kill whales to conduct the types of research they are claiming. Plus, the meat just mysteriously ends up in the meat market in the end. Funny that. And the sad part is, the market for it isn't even that great anymore. So it isn't even like they are killing them for a wanted meat...

Cheeseball
Cheeseball
30 posts
Nomad

Well the Japanese goverment gives some of the meat to kids to eat in school so that they can learn about their country's whaling heritage. I think the whole thing is wrong and i hope that our world leaders will vote to stop this from happening soon

lonewolf537
lonewolf537
145 posts
Nomad

dang whale huggers. fishing/hunting/whaleing is not illegal. animals can eat other animals. why cant we? if they think whales taste good they have the right to hunt them.

Mr_Hobo_2100
Mr_Hobo_2100
153 posts
Nomad

animals kill each other but they dont kill them at 100s at a time. whales usually die of old age if it werent 4 humans and we cause almost all animal extictions except 4 like donos that died do to a natrual event

Cheeseball
Cheeseball
30 posts
Nomad

lonewolf537 not every animal on this earth was put there to be hunted by us and the fact is that most whales are endangered

Carlie
Carlie
6,843 posts
Blacksmith

Mr_Hobo and Cheeseball, I agree. They kill many more than is necessary, which is just irresponsible. And its not even like it tastes very good either. I have heard that the market for it is waaay down because no one likes the tastes, and it just ends up rotting in markets. Its just such a waste, when it really doesn't have to be.

Cheeseball
Cheeseball
30 posts
Nomad

Well i just heard on the news that they banned Japan from whaling. Score one for the Whales!!!

Cheeseball
Cheeseball
30 posts
Nomad

Sorry but i heard the news wrong it really said that they are going to voting to stop it. Sorry for getting anyone's hopes up. I guess i should have checked my facts first. Well sorry again.

arkaninerenegade
arkaninerenegade
785 posts
Nomad

I think it should be illegal since a lot are endangered we should protect them.

Carlie
Carlie
6,843 posts
Blacksmith

Unfortunately, that doesn't mean they will stop though. There was an international pledge that countries signed to protect whales, and Japan signed it. Go figure.

lonewolf537
lonewolf537
145 posts
Nomad

boo! japan like the taste of whale, japan should be able to fish whale.

Showing 1-15 of 34