ForumsThe Tavern[Necro] What will happen if we don't sleep?

60 25188
mattt15
mattt15
1,669 posts
Nomad

Well, I didn't sleep today because I couldn't. I was on my iPod touch the whole night. Well I was wondering what will be the problems and sickness that I might have if I continue like this or if they have ANY advantages, what are they?

• 60 Replies
dunadan
dunadan
360 posts
Nomad

There's no advantage coming with insmonia...
You get tired, your reflexs are lower...
But you get use to it with the time...you just look like a zombie after more nights awaken...
I often do some nights without any sleep, and it's hard the day after, but you won't die^^...Unless you do it one or two months long, then you may have healthes problems...

Pixie214
Pixie214
5,838 posts
Peasant

I lost my book on Sleep Deprivation.... it had a nice case study about an experiment that did on it.

Anyway some of the effects of Sleep Deprivation can be yawning, memory lapses, tremors, irritability and ead aches, hallucinations, nausea, muscle aches and syptoms likeable to ADHD and psychosis. The Punjabi et al. study of 2005 showed a link between sleep deprivation and the ability to process glucose (which could lead to type 2 diabetes). However Thai Ngoc has reportedly gone over 30 years without sleep with the only side effect being decreased liver function.

Zega
Zega
6,921 posts
Peasant

I also heard that you can become blind if you don't sleep... But I don't think that's true.

kamrad
kamrad
564 posts
Nomad

Well to put it simple, if you don't sleep you get tired.
Not sleeping, or the inability to sleep is called insomnia.
I recommend sleeping ;D

Zega
Zega
6,921 posts
Peasant

Maybe I have Insomnia then... It's really hard for me to sleep. In some weeks I can only sleep for about 10 hours.

ShylaGirl92
ShylaGirl92
671 posts
Nomad

same with me .... this week i only had about 9 hours of sleep, but all that happend to me was that I was really dizzy and I almost blacked out in church :/

TSL3_needed
TSL3_needed
5,579 posts
Nomad

After a while of it you'll go into a coma and die. Before then though you'll have the symptoms Pixie described.

However Thai Ngoc has reportedly gone over 30 years without sleep with the only side effect being decreased liver function.

Something tells me that he slept every day. But not a normal sleep. In some people their brains can go into a 'conscious' sleep, where some parts of the brain sleep whereas others are fully awake, as opposed to completely asleep or completely awake.
Pixie214
Pixie214
5,838 posts
Peasant

Something tells me that he slept every day. But not a normal sleep. In some people their brains can go into a 'conscious' sleep, where some parts of the brain sleep whereas others are fully awake, as opposed to completely asleep or completely awake.

Yeah it would seem his brain has found some way to rest. It could be micro-sleep where he falls asleep for a few seconds thogh it isn't long neough for him to remember it. (but you would have thoght someone would have noticed)
ShylaGirl92
ShylaGirl92
671 posts
Nomad

if it was micro-sleep then maybe it was when no one could noticed .... like maybe in the shower or something -just a thought-

Pixie214
Pixie214
5,838 posts
Peasant

if it was micro-sleep then maybe it was when no one could noticed .... like maybe in the shower or something -just a thought-

Could be but it would be a big coincidense if in 30 years he was always alone when he had a micro-sleep.
bretttrumpour
bretttrumpour
677 posts
Nomad

If you dont sleep for 3 day's straight you are counted as insane and could be put in the hospital on the third floor.

Its technically suicide.

pauler94
pauler94
2,514 posts
Nomad

I think if you don't sleep you can die faster than starving to death.

loloynage2
loloynage2
4,211 posts
Peasant

You will look like this guy:

http://tvmedia.ign.com/tv/image/article/767/767826/naruto-gaara_1172506946.jpg

Zega
Zega
6,921 posts
Peasant

Aaaaaaaaaaaaahahahaah! That guy looks funny! XD

bretttrumpour
bretttrumpour
677 posts
Nomad

He looks like someone tried to pull his eyes out.

Showing 1-15 of 60