ForumsWEPRYear 2036, Apophis!

50 12202
DotKasper
DotKasper
45 posts
Nomad

I don't know much about this, but anways, I'll do my best to make a sweet topic/subject/thingy

NASA discovered a Meteor headding towards the Earth, and they calculated it would hit it in year 2036.
Check out www.YouTube.com and shearch: 2036
Anyways, I heard they called the Meteor "Apophis"
And I heard it will wipe out the whole planet and kill all lifeforms etc, etc.

What do you think will happen?
Will NASA clean this mess up?
Will it miss the Earth?
Will it hit the Earth?
Is this just bullshit?

• 50 Replies
Raistlin847
Raistlin847
270 posts
Nomad

I just read on Wikipedia that the chance of the asteroid hitting the earth is 1 in 45, 000. Even though that's a small chance, soemone should do something to knock it off course or something.

Asherlee
Asherlee
5,014 posts
Shepherd

Whoa...that's pretty freaky. I just hope by then they figure out how to destroy that...

DotKasper
DotKasper
45 posts
Nomad

I heard they have three ways to destry it:

1. Charge loads of explosives to destroy it or make it change direction.

2. Put a "sail" on it, so it changes direction. (This sounds REALLY stupid, 'cause it's no wind in the outer space, so why would this help..?)

3. Paint it. (This makes no sense at all, but I think they will paint it black/dark. This makes it attract more of the heat from the sun, and change direction. Jeez, I don't want to paint it!)

DotKasper
DotKasper
45 posts
Nomad

Hmm.. Previous post, I typo'd the word "destry," I ment destroy. But what I really ment was how to make it a non-threath :P (Sorry for the mistake, if anybody cares..)

Armed_Blade
Armed_Blade
1,492 posts
Shepherd

Weird, I read it'd be 2062. Also, Its WAY too early to make predictions, I think its pretty stupid. A fact is is that Earth is small attracting almost nothing with its Gravatational pull, while the fat planets and the sun get smacked with them everyday, protecting Earth.

Also, I've never heard of those ways. Also, shooting a Nuke or other explosives at it would be stupidity. Radiation would rain down like hell if it was Nuked -- and if we blew it up with like big bombs we'd recieve just the same asteroid into little bitty bits smashing earth just about everywhere killing millions.

The actually supported theory I've heard for it is that people are to make pads ona shuttle and littlerally PUSH it off course.

[I got this offa magazine, its not very recent, though.]

But, anyway, I don't think its gonna happen.

DotKasper
DotKasper
45 posts
Nomad

I agree, if they would use a Nuke or something it would be stupid.. Pushing it away would be smart, but the odds of it hitting the Earth is really small anyways...

madgamer012
madgamer012
741 posts
Nomad

NASA will prabably launch something into outer space to knock it off course or the asteriod will hit another planet first. You know this end of the world kinda of thing is really just a scam to get you to buy things if you really think about it.

madgamer012
madgamer012
741 posts
Nomad

And to DotKasper, i would go with explosives and paint, launch a paint bomb at it!( ROFL!)

DotKasper
DotKasper
45 posts
Nomad

Hehe, a paint bomb was kinda a.. I dunno, bad idea? xD Most of the painting will fly around in outer space. Kewl! Colorful Nigths with NASA, Saturdays in the Sky :P (You won't probably see the painting, cause of it's dark, and the outer space is HUGE, etc.)

imcol1
imcol1
29 posts
Nomad

umm if we send a nuke its gets even deadlier its turns into smaller bits we need something like a soler panel shooting a laser at pushing it little by little by then lasers will prob be a bit commen

DotKasper
DotKasper
45 posts
Nomad

NASA could make and use a special Space Rocket thingy and push the metor out of it's course.

Devoidless
Devoidless
3,678 posts
Jester

Darn you Sephiroth! When will you ever give up. Quick, someone find Arieth and get her into the lifestream. That works most of the time.

Um..anyways...I am pretty sure that by the time 2036 comes along a solution will be thought of. It might of even diverged by then of the like. If not, the US has shown that they can easily shoot down satellites. A meteor is not all that different.

Devoidless
Devoidless
3,678 posts
Jester

...that would not help if a large enough meteor hits the planet. Even if most of the landmasses were not flooded/destroyed, there most likely would be a very large debris cloud that would blot out the sun for years, thus killing off plants and animals after a year or so.

guitrfreek
guitrfreek
13 posts
Nomad

You have to think if we will make it to then. Our technology is developing so rapidly that we may use it to make stupid decisions before then. Also, we are running out of resources really quickly. we may starve or other things.

Nostradamus even predicted that we will be wiped out by 2012.

It's if we make the right decisions that will base on how long we survive (and mankind has made some pretty big mistakes).

If we do make to then and have made the right decisions, we will have a lot more sophisticated technology and it probably won't be a problem.

But remember, our decisions will base how long we survive.

florglee2
florglee2
1,778 posts
Peasant

Everyone stop freakin out about some bloody enormous space turd thats supposed to nail Earth an kill us all. its not gonna happen like that. i got 2 good theories, an both of them we can stop easily, without a sail or paint or anything.
global warmin will either heat up tha earth alot or start another ice age. due to the fact it still snowing, and we're a day from april, im geussin number 2. so, anyways, it freezes supah fast, and before we can do anything about it, the cold breaks our windows, gets us in our houses, freezes our blood cold in our veins, an we die, slowly, cuz no bloods gettin to tha heart. u can stop this by riding your bike to work.
Some major company that develops bio-organic weapons (big missiles full of killer diseases armies will use to wipe out enemies) will accidently release a prototype virus, which gets to the worlds population. it either A) kills us all, like Ebola or sumthin like that. or B) acts like a radically more intense version of Rabies, and makes the people who got it go insane, and bloodthirsty. sumthin like that, genetically designed to wipe out entire countries, dropped somewhere like new york, will spread, even if quarantined. people will get out of the city, and soon, the entire planet'll wither an die, due to one guy who works at minimum wage, who just didnt tighten a screw that well. to stop this end, just stop havin wars, then we wont need no weapons.

Showing 1-15 of 50