ForumsArt, Music, and WritingHaiku Contest - Broken Bond (page 531, due: Feb 2)

5299 3071853
Maverick4
Maverick4
6,800 posts
Peasant

A Haiku is a Japanese lyric verse form having three unrhymed lines of five, seven, and five syllables, traditionally invoking an aspect of nature or the seasons.

Well, that said, heres the rules:

1) The Haiku must be original (no plagarizing)!
2) It must fit the weeks theme
3) It must be submitted before the deadline
4) It must be submitted for the contest (no using works previously written)
5) One Submission per user
6) The Same User cannot win twice in a row (but there welcome to submit!)

Hopefully oneday the winner could get a merit...

The Deadline will always be a Wednsday, so the deadline for the first theme will be Wednsday, September 2. The theme is The Pond

(special thanks to 'thisisnotanalt'

• 5,299 Replies
Freakenstein
Freakenstein
9,504 posts
Jester

I sent a request in to Fallensky, if anyone has any objections...

FallenSky
FallenSky
1,813 posts
Peasant

Celebrity judge is better than no judging at all right!
This week's mysterious judge is...

Freak!

Seeing his experience on this very thread, he was the perfect specimen...um, candidate, for this temporary judge switch.
Seriously now, I'm too busy with work to be a constant and punctual judge so I might resign pretty soon. Of course I'll keep myself the privilege of judging from time to time.
So if you want to be a full time judge, raise your worthy hand and pray that I choose you; this job is eating too much of my precious time.
Moreover, you deserve a more punctual judge given all your efforts ^^.

MRWalker82
MRWalker82
4,005 posts
Shepherd

I think freakenstein is a good candidate, and glad to hear that work is keeping you busy fallensky, although it always sucks to not have free time. Better to be making money than spending it though

FallenSky
FallenSky
1,813 posts
Peasant

Better to be making money than spending it though

Yeah, I'm away from home and family so if I can't pay the bills, I'm out in the streets and since I don't plan on becoming a hobo anytime soon I guess I'm forced to work.
Sucks that I don't like my job though.
Anyhow, since I won't be the judge this time around, here's a quick submission.

Carved in a red hue,
Adorning the lifeless corpses;
All the scars of war

You're free to not judge it since the deadline's passed though. I didn't want to imply that man is intrinsically violent, but as far as I'm concerned, it's an undeniable part of our nature.

Freakenstein
Freakenstein
9,504 posts
Jester

The Stalker Award goes to Ernie15:

"The lonely hermit
Crouches next to her window
Is he not a man?"

What is he doing?
Is it curiosity?
He is then noticed.
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

The Sad Realization Award goes to pHacon:

"Curiosity
For power lies in knowledge.
Seeming salvation"

For what we are interested in evolves into learning! Perfect example of human nature! It is what drives humans to expansion of knowledge and advances throughout our legacy!
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

The Outside-looking-in Award goes to SeaTurtle:

"we are all evil
greedy and heartless in the
eyes of the poor man"

Aye, he is describing the blacker end of the human nature spectrum-- the rich flaunting and undermining the poor, oppressed people! Try some punctuation next time; the slight pauses made by commas make for more feeling in a haiku
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

The Too-bad-I-just-became-a-judge Award goes to Freakenstein:

"Flaws make us flawless
The law is not absolute
We build upon shame"

If it were another member, I'd label it the paradox award. We are flawed in many ways, yet it is part of our human nature to flaw, thus making us flawless in the eyes of Mother Nature! Egos aside, it was a very good haiku, though not as good as the Haven one....
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

The Anarchist Award goes to Savings123:

"We are selfish things
Anything is permitted,
even murder is fair."

Very true! If it were not for governmental regulations, we could do whatever we wished! It is the definition of pure free spirit, even if it comes with a price. As we are animals by definition, we shouldn't technically be bound by ethereal regulations. As we are humans, we are animals that require societies of some sort to function, however.

The flow is good, and the meaning is straight-forward. Well done!
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

The Cat-instead-of-human-nature Award goes to ThePossum:

"Curiosity,
Supposedly killed the cat.
But, cats have nine lives."

A nice break from the standard "this is what humans do" style for this theme, although it doesn't pertain to human nature at all! Yet it rings a hint of what we as humans gave as a myth to cats. Is this our nature as well?
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

The Side of Love Award goes to Wolf1991:

"Show me how to love.
For I have fallen to grief.
I'm yours, forever."

This describes, to me, a human who has lost his will to love because of a heart-breaking experience. It is in our nature to love, but why? Is it just humans who are capable of love, or is it just another representation of wanting to procreate? Either way, a very special side of human nature, and a great haiku otherwise.
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

The Dictionary Award goes to Zaork:

"Novelty of thought
Suppressing introspection
Convoluted mess"

Since ancient times, humans have thought at eternity's end many of life's mysteries, whether it is curiosity or philosophy. With this, spawns many representations of what that mystery may be. Without, however, it's just speculation and requires proof and supporting evidence.

Great choice of words! Yet, with the simplicity of haikus, it is sometimes best to choose words with lesser syllables to get more information across. That's my advice to you. Sometimes, it helps.
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

The Mystery Pertaining to Mystery Award goes to Graham:

"Herein lies your gate,
enshrouded amidst martyrs.
Will you find the key?"

What is our purpose in life? Why are we here? How did we get here? These are the crystallized questions in life that have been asked since the dawn of time. Faced with these questions, it is our nature as humans to find the answer. As it has been nearly 20,000 years, we still have no clear-cut answer, besides something philosophical. Go Homosapiens!

The Sociology Award goes to Peeplot:

"Humans are liars
Don't believe a word they say.
Everybody lies"

True enough! It is so hard to not lie, as we as humans feel it may hurt us and others even more to tell the truth. To try to counter this, religions have claimed it sinful to lie. See how far that got us. It is purely natural of humans to lie, though in modern society, it can be considered a form of unethical actions.

Great first haiku for us, Peeplot! Understanding that you are learning English, it must have been very hard for you to construct an English-based Haiku. Have you made these kinds of poetry before?

Without further ado, I give you the winner of this week's Haiku contest. As I have been judge for barely an hour, it doesn't seem right for me to give a clear-cut winner. But I seconded that thought, as before I was chosen, I looked at these entries to sort of feel how much of an emphasis I should put on my future entries, as a sort of reference, or for learning purposes.

Before I announce the winner, it may be beneficial to you if I give you some advice for future themes. Try to think outside the box. Don't just leap out in front of the theme and make a haiku that defines it. Think of something that applies to the theme and provide something indirect.

And now the winner:

"Herein lies your gate,
enshrouded amidst martyrs.
Will you find the key?"

Congratulations Graham! Go notify a moderator to receive your winning!

Now for the next theme. I'm a fan of Basho and I'm a new judge, so it seems appropriate for my first entry to be something of traditional haiku. So here we go:

Theme: Weather
Deadline: September 16th, 2010

Happy Haikuing, and good job with this week's entry!

thepossum
thepossum
3,035 posts
Nomad

As a matter of fact, I was also referring to human nature, in addition to that of the cats.

Freakenstein
Freakenstein
9,504 posts
Jester

Yeah! You meant it as a metaphor, which is smart thinking. Your entry was one of the top-tier entries because of creativity

MRWalker82
MRWalker82
4,005 posts
Shepherd

Lightning splits the sky
Kissing the clouds like a flame
Beautiful display

FallenSky
FallenSky
1,813 posts
Peasant

Crap mine wasn't judged!

thepossum
thepossum
3,035 posts
Nomad

He obviously took the "you're free to not judge this" toheart. =P

MRWalker82
MRWalker82
4,005 posts
Shepherd

nah, he judged it but yours just sucked fallen, that's all.

j/k

FallenSky
FallenSky
1,813 posts
Peasant

nah, he judged it but yours just sucked fallen, that's all

Even as a joke, I can't believe you said that :O

I guess I ninja'd him while he was doing the post...That would have to be the only reason....

MRWalker82
MRWalker82
4,005 posts
Shepherd

Even as a joke, I can't believe you said that :O

pfft You know I like your work. I'm just feeling feisty tonight Been away too long, time to get back in the swing of picking on everyone. (well, the people I actually like. If I don't pick on you then I probably wouldn't piss on you to put you out if you were on fire)
Zaork
Zaork
439 posts
Nomad

Ha, that's the second time I have received a dictionary award. Congrats to Graham.

HahiHa
HahiHa
8,253 posts
Regent

Wind, blowing round me
Firmament, unchained and dark
Rain, scourging my face

Showing 2116-2130 of 5299