ForumsArt, Music, and WritingHaiku Contest - Broken Bond (page 531, due: Feb 2)

5299 3069160
Maverick4
Maverick4
6,800 posts
Peasant

A Haiku is a Japanese lyric verse form having three unrhymed lines of five, seven, and five syllables, traditionally invoking an aspect of nature or the seasons.

Well, that said, heres the rules:

1) The Haiku must be original (no plagarizing)!
2) It must fit the weeks theme
3) It must be submitted before the deadline
4) It must be submitted for the contest (no using works previously written)
5) One Submission per user
6) The Same User cannot win twice in a row (but there welcome to submit!)

Hopefully oneday the winner could get a merit...

The Deadline will always be a Wednsday, so the deadline for the first theme will be Wednsday, September 2. The theme is The Pond

(special thanks to 'thisisnotanalt'

• 5,299 Replies
EmperorPalpatine
EmperorPalpatine
9,438 posts
Jester

What do you mean by "for the position"?

I think he was trying to clarify that he meant "Judge the first poem entitled Life that I submitted" instead of something like "Consider my poem for first place."
acmed
acmed
3,517 posts
Nomad

Hey Mav. Do you happen to know when the judging will be done?

Maverick4
Maverick4
6,800 posts
Peasant

When I have half a moment to breathe, and think about it. Because I'd much rather make a quality last-post, than a mere:

*** iz teh winna. Next theem iz ***. Bui guize.

Maverick4
Maverick4
6,800 posts
Peasant

Nine days late. I think thats a record for me. Still, better late than never, eh? Eh? I did some thinking, and I realized that it wasn't really fair to judge based on previous experience as well. What about those new comers who wrote a good haiku for this topic? So heres what I've decided to do:

In this post, there will be ***two*** 'judgings'. One will be for those who wrote a good haiku for this topic. It will be a 'top five', with the top spot recieving the merit and a hearty pat on the back. The second judging will also be five. However, it will be in no special order. These will be those who I feel have shown the best history of writing haikus. ***Winning will have nothing to do with it*** Although experience is important, its allright if you've entered 50 times and never even got fifth once.

Those five who make it into the 'special round' will be given five days with a unique theme to impress me with their haiku skills. I will pick a winner, and then that'll be your new judge.

Everyone else will be given 15 days to write a haiku for the 'normal round' theme. The special round will take the first five of those days, so those who come out of that will have the standard ten days to come up with something.

Be expecially sure to pay attention to which round your writing a haiku for. I'll try my best to notify you of your mistake, though I can't be blamed if you're missed.

So I guess that makes three rounds then. Hmmm. Well, that being said, here will be the normal judging. This is for everyone who entered a haiku into this round. (If you're just cutting in here, you really need to read everything above).

If anyone would like their haiku critiqued, then please message me your haiku and state so. Any messages without the original haiku will not be replied to. Thanks.

5) Jackalx14
4) Mr. Trippy
3) Murasaki9
2) Quirinus1
1) Freakenstein

Congratulations Freakenstein!

Please contact... Uh... Yourself... Er... Well, this is awkward. :/

This round will last for 15 days, to be due on October 28. The new theme will be 'Emerging Growth'

These are those who will be vying for this most esteemed spot (ah, I flatter myself). In no particular order, for obvious reasons:

-Jeol
-Emperor Palpatine
-Acmed
-King Lemon
-Graham

Congratulations for getting in. Your special theme will be 'A Dieing Tree', to be due in five days on October 18. The winner of this round will be the new judge, if they so wish. If not, it will fall to second place, then third place, etc. Good luck.

Last call? Last call? And happy haiku'ing.

acmed
acmed
3,517 posts
Nomad

I felt disappointed... Then read the second part. WOOHOO! Let's do this thing!!!....
Tomorrow...

acmed
acmed
3,517 posts
Nomad

Or an hour later. Close enough. *Deep Breath*. This is it. Last shot. Let's rock this son of a haiku. (Any you spelling dying wrong)

Resplendent. Hopeless.
Perished soul, distinct nightfall.
Rest in peace for me.

Let me guess. You're the dying tree Mav?

mrTrippy
mrTrippy
517 posts
Nomad

I will keep trying.
Backing down is no option,
I must get to the top.

Maverick4
Maverick4
6,800 posts
Peasant

Let me guess. You're the dying tree Mav?

No actually. I had an idea for the topic, and I just tried to pick something that was fairly opposite to the regular theme. And I couldn't really put 'Pesticides' as the theme.
dudeguy45
dudeguy45
2,917 posts
Peasant

Please gentlemen, no erection jokes.

the pavement holds tough
but the weed pushes to light
life in the forlorn

EmperorPalpatine
EmperorPalpatine
9,438 posts
Jester

I felt disappointed... Then read the second part. WOOHOO!

lol me too!

(dying tree theme entry)

My time is ending;
I will still have a purpose:
Firewood for you.

(emerging growth theme entry)

I begin my life
With limitless potential:
What shall I become?
EmperorPalpatine
EmperorPalpatine
9,438 posts
Jester

Firewood

Before someone says that's 2 syllables ("Faar-wood&quot, I pronounce it with 3 ("Fy-er-wood&quot. Just my accent I guess.
FallenSky
FallenSky
1,813 posts
Peasant

I'm back, wouldn't you know!
Your old judge's coming to perk up the competition a lil' bit! Expect to see some crazy poems...and no, this time I'm not whining for the job; I've got enough with my book to be the judge this time around.

Sooooo, what's with the dual themed thread?

acmed
acmed
3,517 posts
Nomad

Oh, I can do both? MERIT AND JUDGING, HERE I COME!
For Emerging Growth:

The sun shines on all,
Who dare overcome future.
A battle well worth.

EmperorPalpatine
EmperorPalpatine
9,438 posts
Jester

I think if you win the selective/exclusive contest and become the judge, your entry for Emerging Growth won't count.

Maverick4
Maverick4
6,800 posts
Peasant

Before someone says that's 2 syllables ("Faar-wood&quot, I pronounce it with 3 ("Fy-er-wood&quot. Just my accent I guess.

I say it with three, so I'll count it. Tie goes to the runner, and all that.

I think if you win the selective/exclusive contest and become the judge, your entry for Emerging Growth won't count

Precisely. Because if you become the judge, it wouldn't be very nice to give yourself first place.
Showing 3691-3705 of 5299