ForumsThe Tavernwhat's your favorite medieval weapon

353 98483
mordecai1031
mordecai1031
156 posts
Nomad

this ones about weapons. list your favorite old age weapon like the katana or the broad sword or axe. something like that also include what type like germanic, viking broadsword stuff like that

mine is a japanese katana because of how samurai were trained to use them and the beauty that went along with it http://www.obamaskatana.com/media/img/katana.jpg

• 353 Replies
Kyouzou
Kyouzou
5,061 posts
Jester

The boiling oil was a pretty gruesome object, but it was also giving your enemies a weapon, if they piled up the people who had died from the oil around the castle, being soaked with the oil the corpses would easily start burning, this would quickly cause the temperature to rocket within the castle and crack the stones that make up the walls.

wajor59
wajor59
909 posts
Nomad

That's why the trebuchet was awesome. Just light a hay bale and toss it over the wall. Or, for medieval 'shock and awe', do like they did in Lord of the Rings and toss a basket full of your buddies heads over the castle keep, that will either make you want to fight to the death, or.................................................RUN!

foxlink
foxlink
270 posts
Nomad

shot gun! lol the roman siege arrow, cut through walls like the cannon a 1000 years latter

wajor59
wajor59
909 posts
Nomad

Lol, that cannon looks ridiculously huge. They don't make cannons like they used to

It's reported that they mounted the Meg on board the Michael , front and center.
Thanks for the compliment on the axe.
Jimmy5151
Jimmy5151
18 posts
Nomad

my fav one is definitely magic missle lol!

SniperFi
SniperFi
84 posts
Nomad

trebuchet?!?!?! Has nobody mentioned this?!?! lol

wajor59
wajor59
909 posts
Nomad

trebuchet?!?!?! Has nobody mentioned this?!?! lol

Yes, Ultimatetitan, on page 1
trubeceht! medivial seige weapon..... will tear you bathroom apart!
and me, at the top of this page.
That's why the trebuchet was awesome.

Why do you like this weapon so you can redeem yourself?
knight_34
knight_34
13,817 posts
Farmer

Calvary One of the best Medieval weapons to ever be used.. Most of you are probably thinking how could men on horses be considered weapons but the Calvary had the upper hand in every major conflict.. just imagine being in your little ranks on the ground when a thousand horses come pounding toward you armed to the teeth.. Aside from the Spartans not many survived a Calvary charge..

We talk of individual weapons. And Spartans are overglorified.

It's reported that they mounted the Meg on board the Michael , front and center.
Thanks for the compliment on the axe.

Effing shock value! Big guns aren't usually too efficient in real combat (slow, heavy) but they do shock. How the heck do they put one on a ship?

shot gun! lol the roman siege arrow, cut through walls like the cannon a 1000 years latter

You are talking about the ballista. Too bad they fell out of use after Roman times.

The boiling oil was a pretty gruesome object, but it was also giving your enemies a weapon, if they piled up the people who had died from the oil around the castle, being soaked with the oil the corpses would easily start burning, this would quickly cause the temperature to rocket within the castle and crack the stones that make up the walls.

Yes, but they could only be used from an immobile position such as a wall, so they weren't too handy in every situation.

Once again I have to reiterate my preference for the zweihander. Six feet long. I also love the mercenaries who used them, the Landsknecht. But they weren't medieval.

I'll find some photos of the weapons I noted on page 10. Will post them later.
xAyjAy
xAyjAy
4,710 posts
Blacksmith

@knight_34, i think you mean the claymore/two-handed sword.

i like the flail/morning star.

dont forget the mighty spiked arm-blade-shield (a shield like a buzz saw with sharp spikes on the flat side) lol!

sirfrank
sirfrank
420 posts
Nomad

my faveorite is the flaxe its a combo of a flail and a axe

knight_34
knight_34
13,817 posts
Farmer

i think you mean the claymore/two-handed sword.

I said I liked the Zweihander. The Claymore is a Scottish two-handed sword, while the Zweihander (Greatsword) originated from the Swiss and later became used by Germans and Austrians, was in service from the 1300s to the 1700s and is famous for being used by the Landsknecht.
valkery
valkery
1,255 posts
Nomad

The one that will allow me to kill the most people in the shortest time

Well that is pretty obvious. Tell us what you think the the coolest looking one is. Don't get all retarded and give hypothetical answers to questions.
SniperFi
SniperFi
84 posts
Nomad

Spartan=Ancient not mideval

but they were pretty badass, anyway new weapon, the longbow (:<

whereismymind1
whereismymind1
31 posts
Nomad

pike, totally. But if you take prisoners the torture rack.

knight_34
knight_34
13,817 posts
Farmer

The halbred, it's reach was about 4 yards and it could stab also.

Yeah. A polearm with an axehead and a spike on top of that axehead is awesome.

pike, totally.

Pikes are awesome when put together. Alone, they are unwieldy.

I recall Pope Urban II banning the crossbow's use against Christians in 1097. The reason behind that would be that an inexperienced crossbowman could kill an embattled and experienced soldier, or someone of nobility, with only one good shot. Talk about unfairness.

Here be a falchion. I like the shape. I might be an aesthete.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/7/7c/Falchion.jpg
Showing 91-105 of 353