ForumsThe TavernThis Thread is Currently about: Dogs

9738 4721641
Saving123
Saving123
1,258 posts
Nomad

Well I guess the title says it all, I was just wondering who ya'll thought were the most active 'forumers' in this part of the AG forum. Opinions, that what this Forum is going to be, pure opinions, and yes you can say 'Me'.

• 9,738 Replies
Legion1350
Legion1350
5,365 posts
Nomad

[quote=Strop]A friend of mine alleges that as soon as it was found that only one Australian may have been a casualty, news coverage dropped from 24 hours to a 5 minute segment.[/quote]

In other words, "It only matters if it affects us." Yep, thats the typical news. =/

Kylelolcat
Kylelolcat
4,813 posts
Nomad

I actually had a bit of trouble finding this thread...

I used to watch news before Countdown with Keith Olbermann stopped. I still watch the news occasionally.

I did hear about the NZ quake, though. This, that tsunami a few years back and Hurricane Katrina make me wonder if nature really is trying to kill us...

It only matters if it affects us.

Also, it only matters if it's either depressing, political on some networks or funny on others.

It's weird when teh news goes from an update on the NZ quake to a kleptomaniac cat to several stories about violent crime.
waluigi
waluigi
1,946 posts
Shepherd

I did hear about the NZ quake, though. This, that tsunami a few years back and Hurricane Katrina make me wonder if nature really is trying to kill us...

It does seem that way. There have been so many natural disasters in the past few years. Besides what you said, there have been quakes in China, floods in Pakistan and Australia (probably more to add to that list), land slides in Cali, the list seems endless.
SirNoobalot
SirNoobalot
22,207 posts
Nomad

Nature is just ding what Nature does, following the rules of the universe and physics. An earthquake underwater makes a tsunami, it's not like a massive wall of water just spontaneously formed just off the shoreline. Earthquakes happen, plate tectonics. Hurricanes... Weather at its worst.
knight_34
knight_34
13,817 posts
Farmer

A friend of mine alleges that as soon as it was found that only one Australian may have been a casualty, news coverage dropped from 24 hours to a 5 minute segment.

Well, I only have Sky News Australia over here. The channel was giving continuous coverage till Thursday or Friday.

In other words, "It only matters if it affects us." Yep, thats the typical news. =/

Indeed.

I have some friends down in Christchurch and they're all safe. I'm fortunate. There was an infant there that was killed by a falling TV. I'm glad Strop has changed the subject. We've been on the same, irrelevant topic for 1 1/2 months. There doesn't seem to be much world news floating around 'cept for the Middle East unrest.
Kylelolcat
Kylelolcat
4,813 posts
Nomad

Maybe we can emergency revive this thread if I change the topic.

So, how about that weath...er...

Uh, watch any good TV lately?

I found this show called Bar Karma, forget on which channel. Apparently, it's a show run by viewer suggestions and is about saving the lives of people at a crossroads in their life: one path leads to ruin but looks really good at the time, and the other looks like a really horrible decision and will end up being better. The three people who run the bar that helps these people have to convince their patrons to change their fate. Also, there are some random cameos from people throughout time.

Also, wanting new Mythbusters episodes. I miss watching science in action at the end of a Wednesday.

knight_34
knight_34
13,817 posts
Farmer

I don't karma. I can't talk about TV with you because content is delayed here and I my bandwidth doesn't allow me to exclusively watch television through the internet.

Well, the Academy Awards are live at the moment but no really cares about them I guess.

Maybe we can emergency revive this thread if I change the topic.

I can tell you're no good with world events.
Efan
Efan
3,086 posts
Nomad

Well, the Academy Awards are live at the moment but no really cares about them I guess.

I kind of do!
I will watch the full thing tonight when it repeats. Who else saw it?
knight_34
knight_34
13,817 posts
Farmer

I will watch the full thing tonight when it repeats. Who else saw it?

I did. To me, the ceremony gets worse over the year. Heh, Inception won more awards than The Social Netowrk.
Efan
Efan
3,086 posts
Nomad

Heh, Inception won more awards than The Social Netowrk.

Yeah! Score one to the anti facebookers
knight_34
knight_34
13,817 posts
Farmer

This year the awards were more evenly split between movies. The King's Speech and Inception are tied for four. Last year the Hurt Locker got six and in '09, Slumdog Millionaire got eight.

waluigi
waluigi
1,946 posts
Shepherd

Didn't the social network only win 1 award? But yeah, Inception was much better than the social network.

waluigi
waluigi
1,946 posts
Shepherd

People liked it because it was a semi-true story of a site that tons of people use.

Legion1350
Legion1350
5,365 posts
Nomad

I have to say, I loved Inception. As for The Social Network, I don't really care to watch a movie about a social networking website. =/

[quote=Efan]Yeah! Score one to the anti facebookers [/quote]
That's a win in my book.

thisisnotanalt
thisisnotanalt
9,821 posts
Shepherd

Social Network was amazing! The acting and writing were utterly perfect. I was surprised I enjoyed it as much as it did. People liked the Social Network because it was a slick and intelligent film with excellent writing and acting.

I would say that as far as films I saw from 2010, it went something like Social Network > True Grit = Inception > Black Swan > everything else (I never saw King's Speech).

Also, hating facebook is silly. The only reason people hate it is because it's popular - they ignore the potential usefulness of a website that provides instant communication between hundreds of millions of people for the purpose of pseudo-intellectuality.

Showing 5806-5820 of 9738