ForumsWEPR[necro] The overall effect of religion on the world

126 33205
Calm
Calm
908 posts
Herald

I've seen a lot of threads talking about religion in this section of the forums, and it seems that some people think it has a bad effect on the world and we should try to get rid of religion, whereas others believe religion hhas an overall good effect on the world.

In this thread, my aim is to discuss these two views, because I want to know what people think, and why they think what they think

Now I've created a very short survey here and would love it if you could take a couple of minutes answering it. Just answer as many questions as you want.

In a few days, I'll publish the results and we can discuss them. I hope I'll get plenty of participants

• 126 Replies
tomertheking
tomertheking
1,751 posts
Jester

That hole wasn't left by cristians. Up till ~650 C.E. barbarian hordes were fighting major battles all over europe, destroying cities and architecture. The only people that were left were slaves of the roman empire. Bizantium hold and continued to advance roman sience. The muslims made algebra, China made silk, carts, gunpowder, and lots of other thing. If the Roman empire, (who was already cristian, but still had scientific proggres), had continued, there would be a civil war across both of the empires halves, and war acrros europe had been like in the middle ages. Also the middle ages were not bad- there was literutere, the Renaissance of the 12th century, ect.
The romans had gladiator battles. Think if cristianity wasn't there. There would be 21st century gladiator battles. Also, if the greek religion wasn't there, how would constant civil wars all over greece between city-countries hwo belived in entirely diffrent religions would have stopped? Also the chart is bad. Don't draw one single line for every european empire, draw a collection of lines to show where it was stronger. Also it would be good to include mesopotamia, carthage, china, india, the maia, ect.
Religion is good, and please don't tell me about there being no scientific advancement during the middle ages.

SosolidClaws
SosolidClaws
251 posts
Nomad

Religion is good, and please don't tell me about there being no scientific advancement during the middle ages.

Look at the graph.
wolf1991
wolf1991
3,440 posts
Farmer

Look at the graph

The graph is actually a joke. They've ommitted the caption that says "Gee thanks Christianity"

I have expressed my views on this topic in other threads and I will do so now, but in a more mooderate tone seeing as my fellow atheists wish to live with their own type of fanticsm.

Religion is an outdated tool used for propaganda. While it's use as propganda is still relevent the rest of it is not. The teachings were meant to explain what men and women back then could not. However, with the progression of scientific reasoning religion has most definately taken a back seat in society. It's sole purpose now is to give those too deluded to think for themselves some hope.
SosolidClaws
SosolidClaws
251 posts
Nomad

The teachings were meant to explain what men and women back then could not. However, with the progression of scientific reasoning religion has most definately taken a back seat in society. It's sole purpose now is to give those too deluded to think for themselves some hope.

And in the past it frowned upon new discoveries and scientific outbreaks. Now it doesn't have enough power to do so, luckily.
Eless
Eless
118 posts
Nomad

Randomly to the OP;

We see the effect of religion every day in our world, we have just grown so accustomed to it that we barely notice it anymore
Observe

Short but sweet, religion has made perhaps the biggest impact of any single sect in history.

Eless
Eless
118 posts
Nomad

OH MY GOD

http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/212284/effects_of_religion.html?cat=9

tomertheking
tomertheking
1,751 posts
Jester

Look at the graph.

Read what I wrote.

And in the past it frowned upon new discoveries and scientific outbreaks. Now it doesn't have enough power to do so, luckily.

I'll simply reconstruct the sentinse:

And now new discoveries and scientific outbreaks frowns upon religion. In the past it doesn't have enough power to do so, luckily.

I want a better graph, that makes several lines for each time period and showes the maian, mesepotamian, chinese, japanise, barbarian, indian ect. advancment.

China was very religious, but was very scientifically advansced.

Also, cristianity isn't the only religion. Why do you talk only about cristianity?
vontje
vontje
866 posts
Nomad

I think on one side religion is good, but it is true that most of the wars come because people have a different religion. Ofcourse it would be easy if no one had one, or if everyone had the same, but life isn't easy =)

we should just respect each other and make love, not war! =]

SosolidClaws
SosolidClaws
251 posts
Nomad

we should just respect each other and make love, not war! =]

Too bad most religions frown upon pre-marital love.
tomertheking
tomertheking
1,751 posts
Jester

Not all religions want to convert other people to their religion, especially by force. Like judaism.

SubZero131
SubZero131
598 posts
Nomad

there are the religious people that dont try to convert people to their religion. There are the Athiest people that try to disprove religion. I am not fond of either of these, people should be left alone to their own rights. I also frown upon those whom put religion in the way of science, and those who put science over religion.

People dont need to be so fanatical about anything, certainly not to the point of conflict with other ways

SubZero131
SubZero131
598 posts
Nomad

Wait the first paragraph wrong not right.

There are the religious people that try to convert people to their religion. There are the Athiest people that try to disprove religion. I am not fond of either of these, people should be left alone to their own rights. I also frown upon those who put religion in the way of science.

okay i fixed it the first sentance made me sound like i had a different view

MRWalker82
MRWalker82
4,005 posts
Shepherd

and those who put science over religion.

I absolutely put science over religion. Science can be observed, demonstrated, tested, and proven. Religion cannot. Science grants us understanding about our world, religion creates misconceptions and impedes progress. And anyone that tries to 'disprove' religion is a fool. Religion is an idea, a thought. You cannot disprove religion. All you can do is point out the areas of dogma that are demonstrably incorrect, and that is all I ever will do.
MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,470 posts
Farmer

I absolutely put science over religion. Science can be observed, demonstrated, tested, and proven. Religion cannot. Science grants us understanding about our world, religion creates misconceptions and impedes progress. And anyone that tries to 'disprove' religion is a fool. Religion is an idea, a thought. You cannot disprove religion. All you can do is point out the areas of dogma that are demonstrably incorrect, and that is all I ever will do.

YOUR...READING...MY...MIND! Get out! Out of my head!

I agree fully.
Avorne
Avorne
3,087 posts
Nomad

I've come to accept the fact that religion is too deeply wired into peoples brains at this point for any general attack on religion as a whole to be effective. Therefore, I'm going to focus my efforts on pointing out specific fallacies and faults within peoples beliefs.

Showing 46-60 of 126