ForumsWEPR[necro] The overall effect of religion on the world

126 33128
Calm
Calm
909 posts
Herald

I've seen a lot of threads talking about religion in this section of the forums, and it seems that some people think it has a bad effect on the world and we should try to get rid of religion, whereas others believe religion hhas an overall good effect on the world.

In this thread, my aim is to discuss these two views, because I want to know what people think, and why they think what they think

Now I've created a very short survey here and would love it if you could take a couple of minutes answering it. Just answer as many questions as you want.

In a few days, I'll publish the results and we can discuss them. I hope I'll get plenty of participants

• 126 Replies
DrPepperRain
DrPepperRain
75 posts
Nomad

Hey Avorne you're a stupid Atheist that doesn't understand what is happening in the real world. You don't even know whats happening right under your nose! You need to open you're eyes people i have a couple of links for you guys here.
www.infowars.com
www.mikehoggard.com

Healmeal
Healmeal
1,941 posts
Nomad

Hey Avorne you're a stupid Atheist that doesn't understand what is happening in the real world. You don't even know whats happening right under your nose! You need to open you're eyes people i have a couple of links for you guys here.
www.infowars.com
www.mikehoggard.com

Avorne... ignore this...

Drpepper... Relax right now. You're officially hatebreeding here.. your sites aren't reliable and your arguments are completely false... Those things happen, but no big boom for our little planet!
Avorne
Avorne
3,087 posts
Nomad

A. The Bible is full of fallacies and faults (in likelyhood, much of it was meant metaphorically and you can't sort the metaphors from the literal stuff) - don't use that text against me, it is far too flawed.
B. You keep using these unreliable sites in the vague hope of achieving what exactly?

I'd be more than happy to listen to a valid argument against something i've said but I don't know what you're debating me on.

CommanderDude7
CommanderDude7
4,689 posts
Nomad

This may be a bit old to talk about but looking at the graph (latest post page 5) I cant see how anyone can blame the dark ages on christianity. Did not the various monastaries across europe store knowledge that was used to educate the people and lead to the reniasance? The dark ages were more the fault of rome splintering and babrbarian invasion then christianity.

BigDaijin
BigDaijin
4 posts
Nomad

I hate Religion .. only for Money and such a crap ..^^

Octugen
Octugen
36 posts
Nomad

Are we specifically talking about Christianity and what effect it had on the world now? If yes then I have to agree it's got quite a negative effect for us, personally I think it's the greatest bedtime story ever told.

However If were talking about other religions. Hmm.. Take example: Buddhism (Not that I am). It's more of a style of life and how you should live your life in more comfort, introducing meditation into modern world society, which i must give it's credits as a thumbs up. But not all religions are like that. Your question may be too broad.

Healmeal
Healmeal
1,941 posts
Nomad

This may be a bit old to talk about but looking at the graph (latest post page 5) I cant see how anyone can blame the dark ages on christianity. Did not the various monastaries across europe store knowledge that was used to educate the people and lead to the reniasance? The dark ages were more the fault of rome splintering and babrbarian invasion then christianity.

That is true. It were the monasteries that brought back civility. I not because of "god", but because of stored knowlegde etc.. That's no lie.

MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,470 posts
Farmer

Did not the various monastaries across europe store knowledge that was used to educate the people and lead to the reniasance?

They also buried any knowledge they felt went against the religious beliefs.
Nurvana
Nurvana
2,524 posts
Farmer

I've come to accept the fact that religion is too deeply wired into peoples brains at this point for any general attack on religion as a whole to be effective

*maniacal giggle* I've invented a state of mind, where you know religion is false yet you believe in anyway.
CommanderDude7
CommanderDude7
4,689 posts
Nomad

I hate Religion .. only for Money and such a crap ..^^

Quite. Thats why churches dont ask for doantations anymore. /sarcasm
Healmeal
Healmeal
1,941 posts
Nomad

*maniacal giggle* I've invented a state of mind, where you know religion is false yet you believe in anyway.

Ironically... I had this one since I was young. You're not lying. I can say I don't believe in god for 99%, but I do believe in Karma and all that. Yet I don´t follow religion. I personally think you shouldn´t follow religion, but make one yourself. Your own religion is the best religion you can have.

PS: Karma? Aye... I follow some teachings of Buddha, but I did believe in this since I could say Dad/Mum
Nurvana
Nurvana
2,524 posts
Farmer

Your own religion is the best religion you can have.

Meh I'd never do lifestyle religions after how I saw it worked out for Tiger Woods
Healmeal
Healmeal
1,941 posts
Nomad

It counts for everyone with knowlegde of logica LOL

I'm talking for the people who do make sense :P

Nurvana
Nurvana
2,524 posts
Farmer

Maybe I'll score but yeah I getcha I just like to argue

Naturalrice
Naturalrice
15 posts
Nomad

Come on guys... religion is the basis for war and terrible things in the world... If there was no religion I'm sure there'd be racial wars or other discriminatory wars brought on by petty things...

There is no "overall effect" of religion... religion is just how people explain the unexplained (despite how stupid the explanation might be). If there was no religion, people would find other things to peg their hopes on as well as their hate.

Religion is stupid and Christianity is a fucking joke, but what kind of ignorant person would think religion is the basis of all war? Lmao I'm pretty sure human nature takes care of that... cause I'm pretty sure people would probably kill someone for a handful of cash...

Religion isn't the basis of all hope and faith either... cause I mean religion people don't "just" help people... they help people to convert... there's always a message involved and always SOMETHING involved in their aid letting everyone know how "God" caused so-and-so to take initiative...

and for all you Christians out there... SERIOUSLY??? SERIOUSLY????? I mean really guys? An all-knowing God who causes suffering and pain to TEST us? LMAO SERIOUSLY??? NOTHING wrong with that picture?

Showing 61-75 of 126