ForumsThe Tavern[necro] Where Do You See Yourself In 10 Years?

105 16116
Uproar
Uproar
333 posts
Nomad

Where do you see yourself in 10 years, realistically. Going off of what you are doing now and what direction you are wanting to take.

10 years from now, I'm expecting to have my chain of restaurants, bars, nightclubs and music bars opened up, as well as the early plans of a future Las Vegas Styled hotel. All very realistic, and all very possible in my eyes, on top of that, i see myself married by then and have my step son, and two more children.

Everyone else?

• 105 Replies
IAmAce
IAmAce
196 posts
Peasant

Ouch don't gang up on me

samy
samy
4,871 posts
Nomad

Ouch don't gang up on me

Just trying to be realistic, while it's great to pursue your dreams you do need a fall back no matter what your credentials are.
IAmAce
IAmAce
196 posts
Peasant

[quote]Just trying to be realistic, while it's great to pursue your dreams you do need a fall back no matter what your credentials are.[quote]

agree

pHacon
pHacon
1,903 posts
Nomad

Do you want to go into Naval engineering?

Pretty much any kind of engineering, really. Preferably mechanical, though I do understand electronics theory almost as well as my dad.

Just from what they advertised it seems that they have a better program than the other Academies.

I also love being on the water, I even taught myself to sail.

Just trying to be realistic, while it's great to pursue your dreams you do need a fall back no matter what your credentials are.

I agree wholeheartedly, but unless I have a severe stroke of luck regarding scholarships, my plans rely almost entirely on the military... It's a little unnerving right now.
samy
samy
4,871 posts
Nomad

I also love being on the water, I even taught myself to sail.

Me too, although I didn't teach myself to sail because I live around 3 hours away from the nearest large lake.

It's a little unnerving right now.

Hello student loans; I hate the various realizations I've had recently about college.
IAmAce
IAmAce
196 posts
Peasant

Hello student loans; I hate the various realizations I've had recently about college

ouch thats scary
MRWalker82
MRWalker82
4,005 posts
Shepherd

I wouldn't want to be an officer in any combat role unless I went through OCS, I wouldn't want to be leading people who have more practical experience than I do.

Every officer goes through OCS. And if you are in a combat role then just about everyone will have more experience than you. Which is why combat units have much more respect and faith in officers who started out enlisted. But honestly, just about everyone dislikes Academy brats. Honestly.
IAmAce
IAmAce
196 posts
Peasant

i assume your speaking from experience?

MRWalker82
MRWalker82
4,005 posts
Shepherd

i assume your speaking from experience?

Very much so. Thought just about everyone on the forums knew that about me?
pHacon
pHacon
1,903 posts
Nomad

Every officer goes through OCS.

Yeah, I realized what I wrote after I posted it...

And if you are in a combat role then just about everyone will have more experience than you. Which is why combat units have much more respect and faith in officers who started out enlisted.

That's more along what I meant, thanks.
But honestly, just about everyone dislikes Academy brats. Honestly.

Could you explain a little on the psychology on that? I have a few ideas, but I don't want to group everyone into an easily avoidable stereotype.
MRWalker82
MRWalker82
4,005 posts
Shepherd

Could you explain a little on the psychology on that? I have a few ideas, but I don't want to group everyone into an easily avoidable stereotype.

A lot of it has to do with the attitude of Academy graduates. The majority of them, especially in combat roles, seem to think that because they went to the academy that they know more than anyone else. While in many cases this is applicable, in regards to combat the only way you learn is time in the field.

I know this is a stereotype, and a lot of it is a hold over from the days when it was basically impossible to get into the academy unless you came from a very wealthy or very important family. Although that's not necessarily the case today the stigma still exists.
gamesgirl
gamesgirl
33 posts
Nomad

i see myself being older.!

Wavecrest
Wavecrest
73 posts
Nomad

On the streets.

Nater
Nater
1,296 posts
Nomad

I see myself being the third string long snapper for the Eagles.

Strop
Strop
10,816 posts
Bard

One huge leg-up parents need to know about: scholarships. I'm pretty sure somebody mentioned bursaries in an older thread. Scholarships will ease, if not erase your student debt worries, and reduce the chance you drop out due to not being able to afford it. Of course you need to know what to look for and you need to work to get it. And once you have one, you might find the universal gripes and woes of your average starving student to be slightly foreign, which is a little uncool.

Or perhaps I'll find that once my wife finishes her Doctorate that I don't want to do anything but work on bikes and play golf

So I assume this is a Doctorate that will enable magnified fiscal compensation :P

10 years... if I work quickly I could get a Fellowship accreditation in a physician specialty in approximately 6-7 years from now. However I would probably take a sabbatical at some point to do further research, which would hopefully culminate in a Ph.D thesis (and further journal publication). At the 10 year mark I would hopefully be establishing an international circuit in which I practice, train, study, research, and practice. At about this point I would also look into developing or establishing community aid networks in disadvantaged areas... but this vision lacks form as of now, as it is highly contextual.

In those ten years I may also be a published novelist (for better or for worse), and I'd like to be well underway with a cartoon project I've started.
Showing 76-90 of 105