ForumsThe TavernShould Homework be banned?

275 48132
Holden012
Holden012
1,989 posts
Nomad

I think Homework should be banned because we are home to enjoy time away from school and us students don't want to drag our school work home.

My parents don't like the idea of homework because they think that when students get home they should be able to relax not do more school work.

Do the users of AG agree that Homework should be banned??

I sure do agree!

• 275 Replies
randumbness
randumbness
58 posts
Nomad

I think homework shouldn't be banned but instead a restriction to be placed so that a teacher cant give too much of it. For example my advanced geometry teacher goes a little bit overboard with homework 3+ hours of geometry is just too much. Im fine with other classes that only give you around half an hour to an hour of homework but some teachers just give you too much.

crazyape
crazyape
1,606 posts
Peasant

I've never done homework in my life..... That is to say, I've never HAD any homework. IN some schools, they allow you to finish your homework there, in the core curriculum.
I know my english is horrible, and probably half of what I said is misspelled, but I make up for it with a total lack of grammer. Back to the task at hand. If you were simply to get better grades and not NEED any homework, it would be in effect BANNED. I myself don't get amazing grades, but I do get fairly good ones. I have very little to say on this subject, except for this:
"If they give you homework, you were either misbehaving or not smart enough to get out of it"

randumbness
randumbness
58 posts
Nomad

Wow most of that is very interpretable crazyape. Im a straight A student involved in show choir and in 2 advanced classes for my grade level. Advanced geometry is usually for freshmen who took algebra in 8th grade and got above a C but most juniors and seniors take 4 term geometry which is way simpler than advanced geometry. I also take biology which is again only for students who showed a great aptitude for science in 8th grade. So what im trying to say is I do my homework which nobody has a way to get out of its required and trying to get out of homework sounds like you just are trying to avoid doing it. So the summary is you dont have time in school to do homework thats why its called homework hence the home in homework.

KineticNinja
KineticNinja
166 posts
Nomad

Homework should definitely be banned. In most public schools, teachers couldn't care less about the students and just want to maximize there salary. The reason teachers give you homework is because it is a good way to review everything you have already done in school. But the thing is, with 7 hours (or more) in school almost every day, most students get enough time to learn the things they need to be taught but teachers choose to have to load you up on homework which is actually bad for you because of stress. You will notice once you get into college a lot of students (mostly girls) apendix burst due to stress on school.

xAyjAy
xAyjAy
4,710 posts
Blacksmith

clearly no. i know its annoying, but if we had no homework and on the next week is a test then we get not so good notes. homework is there so we can learn something, make notes for tests or to get better.

mrTrippy
mrTrippy
517 posts
Nomad

most students get enough time to learn the things they need to be taught

The key word is most there are still students who need more practice. Students who know it can just do it if you know the subject just get it over with and do the homework.

homework which is actually bad for you because of stress. You will notice once you get into college a lot of students (mostly girls) apendix burst due to stress on school.

That stress is ussally not caused by homework it's mostly caused by studying for a test people over work themselves and get afraid of failing which is ussally what causes it. Homework stress normally happens when you think you can't get all your homework/projects done. As you can see it's ussally the persons fault for getting stress because in there head they think they will fail.
GhostOfMatrix
GhostOfMatrix
15,595 posts
Herald

Homework should definitely be banned.

If it was then the test scores would drop dramatically.
homework which is actually bad for you because of stress.

Nope, homework doesn't cause stress. The lazy people stress themselves because they are too lazy to pay attention in class then they complain about getting too much homework. Most people in my classes finish homework in the class rather than doing it at home. The only people I see complaining about it at school are the stupid people.
aamer13
aamer13
2,568 posts
Nomad

eh i dont like but then wat do i do in the toilet?
i just cant do nothing thats boring

Chake1
Chake1
51 posts
Nomad

Okay, this is my personal opinion here. I believe that it should be based on your grades. since you have straight A students who comprehend it and can be left alone, and you have the failing students, who actually really need the homework. Also, it would give incentive to the people who hate homework to just study and get above the cut.

eddyalex
eddyalex
307 posts
Nomad

Well of course it should didnt you realise ?

gaboloth
gaboloth
1,612 posts
Peasant

The lazy people stress themselves because they are too lazy to pay attention in class then they complain about getting too much homework.

What if someone is genetically lazy? Is it right to force him to live a stressful life just because he was born that way?
GhostOfMatrix
GhostOfMatrix
15,595 posts
Herald

If someone is genetically lazy and they can prove it to the school I imagine they would treat them differently from the other students, but that doesn't mean ban homework. Walker summed it up nicely with his post on the first page.

Anyway, if you want to think genetically lazy people shouldn't have to do anything involving exertion, go right ahead; they won't last very long in the real world. They should rather receive treatment and assistance. Like having a heart attack; are you going to help the person or let them die?

gaboloth
gaboloth
1,612 posts
Peasant

By the way, which other factors, besides genetics, do you think could cause someone's laziness?

GhostOfMatrix
GhostOfMatrix
15,595 posts
Herald

It depends on the task, and there are many things that can cause people not to complete their homework; such as disinterest, no desire, it's boring, they don't feel like spending time on it because it isn't fun for them, requires some thought, etc. Most people I know at school that are lazy are like that because they aren't interested in learning and it isn't fun for them. If I didn't have any expectations/things I want to achieve in the future then I'd probably be the same way.

Jefferysinspiration
Jefferysinspiration
3,139 posts
Farmer

If a curriculum needs to be taught - no homework would mean longer school days, simple as.

Showing 241-255 of 275