ForumsThe TavernShould Homework be banned?

275 48135
Holden012
Holden012
1,989 posts
Nomad

I think Homework should be banned because we are home to enjoy time away from school and us students don't want to drag our school work home.

My parents don't like the idea of homework because they think that when students get home they should be able to relax not do more school work.

Do the users of AG agree that Homework should be banned??

I sure do agree!

• 275 Replies
destruction101
destruction101
113 posts
Nomad

There are times when homework should not be issued. But there are times when homework should be I think that homework should not be banned because it is important to help you in your subject. Over the years the U.S has increased homework loads to try and compete with other countries. But it fact kids that actually do their homework are probably kids that already have A's, and B's because if you do not care about school why would you do homework? In my opinion homework should be REDUCED not destroyed. 10 minutes a day is not going to kill you.

Valks
Valks
262 posts
Nomad

Quit yer complaim'n and get back to work, slacker.

xXKashitoXx
xXKashitoXx
827 posts
Nomad

No, homework should not be banned. I see it as a review of what we learned for the school day.

EmperorPalpatine
EmperorPalpatine
9,438 posts
Jester

I think HW should be banned as far as a requirement. It should be recommended, but not enforced, unless you're failing. I think short daily quizzes to prove that you understand the subject should replace homework.

chang
chang
846 posts
Nomad

I don't believe it should be banned, which I thought I would never say, butI believe that one of my favorite teachers, my High School Pre-ap Chemistry teacher, had the best idea for how homework should be. We had homework and yes we did have to do it. However, every day we received a check on whether we completed it or not. It wasn't graded, it was just for completion. If you complete all of your homework you get a 100 at three weeks and 2 100's at the end of the six weeks. Having late or incomplete homework just subtracts from that grade. If you didn't understand it then you could come in and ask for help on it.
Somehow, because of this, I actually understood it and it helped me way more than just being assigned homework, having it graded, and put in the grade book ever did.
Although that was in Pre-ap, and I believe that if anyone takes a Pre-ap, or AP class and refuse to do the work then they should fail, simple as that.

thepyro222
thepyro222
2,150 posts
Peasant

No it should not. It helps drill the information into your head so when the test comes up, you know the material. Saying 'homework should be banned' is silly teenager garbage. Actually do it, and it won't take that long.

Thowra
Thowra
31 posts
Nomad

No. How else will a student rememeber and revise what they've learnt during the day?

bazz1
bazz1
285 posts
Peasant

no because these questuons will most likely be put in exams

pft
pft
574 posts
Grand Duke

no they should double or triple the ammount of homework they get. haha im joking. im left skool now so i don't care :P

but in seriousness i see how it can be helpful but in the home that is the least thing you want to do. i did most of my homework in the actual class as i just learned what ever. (we got ours half way in the class not at end)

EmperorPalpatine
EmperorPalpatine
9,438 posts
Jester

No. How else will a student rememeber and revise what they've learnt during the day?

By studying their notes, asking a teacher, or looking up the subject online.
CalvinKidd137
CalvinKidd137
888 posts
Nomad

I think homework should be extra credit but not required.

snowguy13
snowguy13
2,157 posts
Nomad

Hmm... I can see the value of homework, but not all types. Last year, I had tons of homework at times because teachers would all slap projects on at the same time, probably thinking, "Oh, no one else would assign one NOW..."

I think some kinds of homework are stupid. For example, when teachers say, "Copy the definitions of these words into your notebook." To me, it's like, "Great! I'll definitely remember this. We're doing so much with it." (sarcasm) I enjoy it when teachers get creative with homework. For example, we worked with balanced chemical equations in chemistry and that was fun! It was like a puzzle! But I just hate when teachers make you copy and read stuff *cough* English class *cough*.

So, I'm okay with it as long as it's not the boring pointless crap I'm forced to waste hours on.

Sarquann
Sarquann
98 posts
Peasant

Homework, as well as many other things, started off as something with good intentions (retention), but became a monster that needs to be slayed. Many teachers are lazy now and only assign homework instead of actually teaching, I had one teacher last year in whose class we would do nothing in, and then have an hour and a half of homework. And the teacher would complain about how grading would take to long. So in my view, it needs to be limited, or banned. enough said.

Eli1010
Eli1010
272 posts
Nomad

yes school stuff should be done in school teachers take YOUR time for THEIR stupid assignments

pablo4270
pablo4270
1,930 posts
Peasant

Homework shows understanding of knowledge they taught you and if you were paying attention in class, oh and it is a way to flunk the "stupid kids" they don't like out of social studies, Homework is ok but when you get a truckload of stuff you don't even remember being taught or projects due in 2 days, it sucks. You know what is really stupid? Homework over the summer, it is like the teachers last I hate you before you leave for the summer. I think we shouldn't have summer, bear with me here, A lot of schools are year round but they have a lot more vacations than USA schools, The reason teachers give homework over the summer is cause apparently kids are forgetting stuff but if we got off for short periods sometimes twice a month we remember stuff, I think USA schools should also be like France and have half days on Wednesday and go play sports and such, maybe that will bring the obesity down. Well that is my mini rant on a small morsel of school.

Showing 211-225 of 275