Forums

ForumsNews, Feedback and Suggestions

Soopah-Doopah Stickies:

Posted Oct 6, '10 at 4:50pm

cormyn

cormyn

2,965 posts

Knight

I think @wajor59 is talking about a live context search, to watch what's being typed, and suggest that the user needs to review the rules or show a list of similar topics.

So if a user starts writing something about Cuba, we could alert them that similar topics may have already been written.

I doubt we'd ever build an as-you-type contextual search, they can get pretty complex and require us to build a "dictionary" or key words in every post so those contextual searches can happen decently fast.

Posted Oct 6, '10 at 4:55pm

wajor59

wajor59

935 posts

Yes, that's what I was referring to, thanks Cormyn. Ok, well I had to ask.

Posted Oct 7, '10 at 2:10pm

tomertheking

tomertheking

1,797 posts

No, really, the rules (or at least the page) are pointless. I haven't read them in 2 years. The only thing you need is common sense.

Posted Oct 7, '10 at 5:14pm

mrtim

mrtim

2,907 posts

True, but people sometimes don't even have common sense, and many sites have different rules than others, hence which is why AG has a rules page.

I do agree with having a PM when you log on, welcoming you to AG and directing you to the help page/FAQs [the latter one needs updating though, as new FAQs come in, if you doing it in the forums]. Bad thing is that people may not read it.

As for Stikies, I think that it should be in a seperate section, and should be visible on every page of that forum. For example, in the video games forum, there will be "stickies" and "normal threads" sections. Should I change to page two - the "stickies" will not change (so people can actually see the halo thread on any page). However, the "normal threads" will change as it does right now.

I also think that it should tell people similar topics to what they are saying. This could be hard to implant as some topics could come up regardless to whatever it has to do with their topic.

Posted Oct 7, '10 at 9:14pm

Joe96

Joe96

2,306 posts

yeah, the stickies actually had a reverse effect on me. I found that I would often not even realize those were threads... I still overlook them alot.

Posted Oct 7, '10 at 9:17pm

cormyn

cormyn

2,965 posts

Knight

Yeah, you do tend to lose track of them after a while. It'd be one thing to have sticky threads stay at the top, but they should only be bolded when something new has been added, that way you can easily see that an update has been made.

Posted Oct 8, '10 at 1:11am

tomertheking

tomertheking

1,797 posts

I you turn the forum into a giant random rainbow with little pics at random places and different text sizes and italics, it would be very hard to read the text underneath.

Posted Oct 8, '10 at 1:46am

Freakenstein

Freakenstein

9,435 posts

Should I change to page two - the "stickies" will not change (so people can actually see the halo thread on any page). However, the "normal threads" will change as it does right now.

Gamespot does something similar to this, I believe. They have the list of stickies (a little too many) listed, separate part of the thread list, then have the list of regular and locked threads afterwards. This behooves the readers to look at the stickies first before reading any of the other threads. Will this promote reading the stickies more? I cannot say.

What we need to do...is take a bunch of new guys...stick them in a barren room with no access to the outside world...leave NOTHING but a computer for each of them...provide them with the website and see if they make a thread without reading a sticky. While insane, it is nonetheless productive, and I can (and will) provide the guineapigs

Reply to Soopah-Doopah Stickies:

You must be logged in to post a reply!