ForumsArt, Music, and WritingThe writings of IcyIndia!

159 31571
IcyIndia
IcyIndia
1,344 posts
Nomad

Compilations for the win!!

Today I actually put titles on my poems, because I hadn't before.

I don't have a favorite poet, mainly because I don't read very much poetry. If it's a book written in poetry, I like it, but otherwise, no.

Anyway.

You may critique/review it if you like. Or give feedback, etc. Actually, please critique it. And give feedback. Please, please, give me reasons for your opinions. I like in depth comments. (Who doesn't?)

Anyway(for the second time):

Here's the first.

Inspirat

âBe the change you want to see in the worldâ ~ Mahatma Ghandi

Life does not spring from death
Freedom is not a force that breaks chains
Love will not erupt from hate
Power does not flow from weakness

You must make your life what it is
be it happy or sad
slow or fast
light or burdened

You must have willpower
to fight against what you do not want
life does not happen, before your eyes
while you watch
and be lazy
sitting on a couch
eating Doritos

Yes, you may watch television
and see what you think is life
but you will never be exhilarated
sitting down

You need to be the one
standing at the edge of the cliff
trying to keep your balance
while someone is pushing you down
You need to be the one
rushing down the slope
in makeshift skis
trying to get away from your captors

No house will rise
from the rubble
if no one works to build it
you will not eat
if no food comes to your mouth

What you want will not happen
if you do not make it so.

(I was too lazy to finish the title)

• 159 Replies
IcyIndia
IcyIndia
1,344 posts
Nomad

If you are intending to explain great, if not consider
it.

Yes, I am. Don't worry.

This is only the second part; I've got one more section to go.

I grab a thin towel from the top of a box, using it to cushion the cement floor, after finding a secluded space between a few stacks of boxes. I lie there, thinking.
I see Evan's face when I told her I couldn't come back. The gang is my first priority; I can't just leave. I remember what I'd said when I was leaving. I'd called her Evanna, a name I hadn't called her for years. Only strangers called her by her full name, which is what I am now. I want to keep it this way. Maybe she'll forget me and move on. I hate to see her hurt.
Then my thoughts turn to the fight. A feeling of dread settles into my stomach. I know I'm not ready for this. My jumping in was only a week ago, and I'm not fully recovered yet. Now, I've got to fight a different gang.
Supposedly, this other group is trying to invade our territory, so I've got to make sure they don't push us out.
I try to ignore my feeling of nausea so I can fall asleep. Eventually I succeed, and drift into unconsciousness.
IcyIndia
IcyIndia
1,344 posts
Nomad

Ok, here's one I found.

Empty

Wandering over plains
And forests, travelling across
acres of ocean,
I finally settle in a soft, green
prairie.

The grass leaves a clean scent,
The sky a vibrant flash,
The wind a whistling echo.

Slowly I waste away.
The beauty of the earth
grows as I dwindle.

I am light enough to fly now,
as my skin catches the wind
and carries me across
atmospheres.

Soon, my life leaves me,
and the vultures are disappointed.
I am a carcass an hour before
my death.
But was I ever really alive?

Efan
Efan
3,086 posts
Nomad

Quite a nice story and feel to your poem. Well done
I found that this part:

Slowly I waste away.
The beauty of the earth
grows as I dwindle.

Was the integral part where it shows what/who the character may be.

In general, this poem had quite a nature based feel to it, talking about forest, ocean, grass etc. But what I really enjoyed about it was the the way you made it seem like a dying traveler wandering to their final resting place until you just had to go But was I ever really alive?! That was a bit, in your face I mean whoa! Was I ever really alive? deeep...
DeadlyVelociraptor
DeadlyVelociraptor
3,415 posts
Nomad

is it real or fake one was really nice! Like the rhyming but not really style...

IcyIndia
IcyIndia
1,344 posts
Nomad

I mean whoa! Was I ever really alive? deeep...

It's kinda funny because my poems are pretty deep, but I'm super sarcastic a lot. On the outside, at least.
IcyIndia
IcyIndia
1,344 posts
Nomad

Third and final.

When I wake up, the bright lights in the warehouse are almost too much. I want to go back to sleep for a few more hours. Then I remember the fight. I jump up with almost impossible speed and sprint to where Nic and Troy are.
"You ready?" Troy asks me.
"Yeah."
"Here," Nic says, handing me a knife.
I hold the cold metal of the blade for a second, then click the knife shut and shove it into the pocket of my jeans.
"Let's go."

IcyIndia
IcyIndia
1,344 posts
Nomad

Ok, I've been going kinda brain-dead lately, with writing. I think the story I wrote took a lot out of me.
A critique would be nice. Might inspire me.
I'll try writing something tomorrow.

Efan
Efan
3,086 posts
Nomad

Could you try combining all three into one? critiquing would be far easier.

IcyIndia
IcyIndia
1,344 posts
Nomad

There is barely a sound as I sprint through the back roads behind buildings. Gravel crunches under my shoes when they hit the ground. It's night, but there is still enough light for me to see my way easily through the dark. I'd be able to find my way if there was no light, anyway. I know my way through these streets well enough.
I run with the intention of going home, but I'm not very focused on where I'm going. My feet take me in the direction of a different building: the warehouse. It's probably better that I'm here, anyway; going to my house would put my family in danger.
I slow down when I reach my destination. Stepping across the smooth surface of concrete that has been laid down in front of the building, I quietly enter the warehouse. The place is well lit, which is surprising. I'd expected it to be dark, since it's nighttime now. Then I realize that of course it's lit; there's someone here.
The main storeroom has trash everywhere. Kicking aside a can, I search for the lookouts. I know there are some here. I find them quickly. Nic and Troy. They talked to me when I got jumped in, and I don't like them very much.
"Hey, Ashley," Troy says.
My hand automatically forms a fist. I don't like being called by my given name. Ever since I moved to the U.S., it's been used only as an insult. I prefer to go by Ash.
I don't say anything about it though. Instead, I greet them and ask if I could crash there. I've got to be ready for tomorrow.
"Sure," Nic says. "Brothers help each other out."

I grab a thin towel from the top of a box, using it to cushion the cement floor, after finding a secluded space between a few stacks of boxes. I lie there, thinking.
I see Evan's face when I told her I couldn't come back. The gang is my first priority; I can't just leave. I remember what I'd said when I was leaving. I'd called her Evanna, a name I hadn't called her for years. Only strangers called her by her full name, which is what I am now. I want to keep it this way. Maybe she'll forget me and move on. I hate to see her hurt.
Then my thoughts turn to the fight. A feeling of dread settles into my stomach. I know I'm not ready for this. My jumping in was only a week ago, and I'm not fully recovered yet. Now, I've got to fight a different gang.
Supposedly, this other group is trying to invade our territory, so I've got to make sure they don't push us out.
I try to ignore my feeling of nausea so I can fall asleep. Eventually I succeed, and drift into unconsciousness.

When I wake up, the bright lights in the warehouse are almost too much. I want to go back to sleep for a few more hours. Then I remember the fight. I jump up with almost impossible speed and sprint to where Nic and Troy are.
"You ready?" Troy asks me.
"Yeah."
"Here," Nic says, handing me a knife.
I hold the cold metal of the blade for a second, then click the knife shut and shove it into the pocket of my jeans.
"Let's go."

IcyIndia
IcyIndia
1,344 posts
Nomad

Thunder of Glass

The lady of silver
Spun tales of wrought iron,
But the fables
She spoke of
Gave way to the pyre.

These tales of ice,
These tales of desire,
They leave us behind,
With the need to inquire:

Where were you when
The snow fell softly,
Heightening its masses
Higher and higher?

Did you see the
Ice locking us in,
The hostility of its beauty,
Creating a skin?

Where the branches crackled overhead,
Threatening their fall,
With one arrogant wind,
We may lose it all.

IcyIndia
IcyIndia
1,344 posts
Nomad

So this one isn't mine, and it wasn't actually intended to be a poem, but when they messaged me like eight times in a row, I thought it looked like a poem.

why not hi?
just plain hi?
what's wrong with hi?
hi?
Hi?
high?
what's wrong
with hi?

DeadlyVelociraptor
DeadlyVelociraptor
3,415 posts
Nomad

hi...

IcyIndia
IcyIndia
1,344 posts
Nomad

Los palabras de amor,
They're really paper thin.
Showing off their glamour,
Shining from within.

Los palabros de odio,
They carry such a weight.
Scarring those who see them,
Killing those who touch.

Efan
Efan
3,086 posts
Nomad

Thanks for the combination. I found I to be very interesting and I thoroughly enjoyed it
I also enjoyed Thunder of Glass. oh yes.

IcyIndia
IcyIndia
1,344 posts
Nomad

the combination.

You're confusing me.

Thanks
Showing 76-90 of 159