ForumsGame Walkthroughs{necro}GemCraft Labyrinth- it's totally out now

374 307173
osanseviero
osanseviero
38 posts
Nomad

Hello, i am just reserving here a post, i am osan and i love making reviews and walkthroughs, and my first here in AG will be a full walkthrough and review, this is just reserved (i will edit this post when game is out)

i am thinking of puting images and strategies, plus suggestions and other thins, but if you want any (please not a video) specific thing just tell me and i will work on that

• 374 Replies
Ruffyl
Ruffyl
73 posts
Nomad

Having previously struggled with the tenfold setting, I've now done my first 1337 run with maximum multipliers and all battle amulets obtained, including no monster reaching the orb. It yielded 31 million+ XP and ~220 wizard levels to 1018. In case it's helpful to anyone, here's what I did.

Skills maxed: Forge, Construction, Flexibility, Recharge, Radiance, Wild Gem, Violent Explosions, Magnify, Deadly Traps, Powerful Shrines, Dual Gem, Chain Hit, Multiple Damage, Mana Gain. Focus 23, Replenish 286, Resonance 160. I have premium.

Field was F1. I used lime-yellow (damage) and lime-orange (mana farm) dual gems.

Expanded mana pool 3x, sold the wild gem. From wave 1 onwards, I summoned as much as possible, using the highest grade gems possible. Not every single wave, but most of them. Summoning as heavily and early as possible was essential.

I started out with a lime-orange tower and a lime-yellow tower, each with 5/6 amplifiers. The transfer from tower to trap started around grade 10 (with tower and trap operating in parallel for a while).

I kept lime-yellow and lime-orange growing in parallel until grade 16 when lime-orange stopped and lime-yellow overtook. Buoyant mana production was critical for success. I used auto-extend mana pool and got my mana replenish multiplier all the way up to 500 (~17 million mana max) before switching it off and removing lime-orange from the field.

My final damage gem was grade 19 lime-yellow trap with 6 x grade 18 lime-yellow amps. My final mana gem was grade 17 lime-orange trap with 6 x grade 15 lime-orange amps. The main gems were in place by around wave 100, but I kept building the amps.

Once I had everything locked down with traps, I built shrines and got the amulets for shrine kills and 400 kills in a row by summoning several consecutive waves with grade 10 gems, removing lime-yellow from the field temporarily, and using 4 shrines consecutively with grade 16 lime-yellows.

At no point was any monster anywhere near my orb.

So there it is: you don't need anything bigger than a grade 19 lime-yellow, amplified, to succeed on the toughest battle setting.

vesperbot
vesperbot
955 posts
Nomad

sure enough you don't need big grades for 1337s, they first don't need to summon a lot at high waves, and that HP cap eliminates difficulty of tenfold entirely. You watch when it'll come to endurances when the cap will be finally removed, along with nerfing shrines and L/Y.

Gremlion
Gremlion
522 posts
Blacksmith

I don't think that shrines will be nerfed. Maybe just skill "Power shrines" - without it 18 grade gem do only 67% hp decrease, and even 26 grade can't reach 100%.
About L/Y nerf - also don't think so. As i can see, GCL easier than chapter 0, and more intuitive - if you don't hear about supergemming in chapter 0, you never start to do it. But there you can understand - higher grade means more stronger(compare to GC0, where prismatic must be less than 13? grade).
As somewhere was said(when added pause, afaik) "gemcraft is not about programs, it's about strategy." So supergemming left because it unintuitive and really boring process.
It let to play for more casual players, which now ask for &quotlease add autoduplication+upgrade feature"

Ruffyl
Ruffyl
73 posts
Nomad

OK vesper, I look forward to that future torment. Perhaps I should have said that I only kept on summoning up to the point that I stopped upgrading my gems, which is an early point in the 1337, but I thought that didn't need saying.

HP cap eliminates difficulty of tenfold entirely

Well, maybe that's true for you and other hardcore players, but I beg to differ. I think you need some technique to handle tenfold. I found it tricky at first and I'm confident that I'm not the only GemCraft player who would. :P

For anyone using my walkthrough, I should also mention that it's totally unnecessary to start lime-orange off in a tower, they can go straight into traps at each entrance, I just happened to do it that way for this battle.
InFeRnO87
InFeRnO87
1 posts
Nomad

guys please someone help me !!!!!!
im level 80 and there is no way i can beat level j4 !!!!
i tried like million stratigies but at monsters number 55-57 i loose everything ive done

any recommendations please??

thanks

Gremlion
Gremlion
522 posts
Blacksmith
Ruffyl
Ruffyl
73 posts
Nomad

@InFeRnO87,

The only way I could beat field J4 (which I did at wizard level 45) was by duplicating the wild gem which happens to be yellow-red. That gives you bloodbound damage increase which is invaluable because the monsters constantly get heavier and harder to kill. At your wizard level, you may be able to afford to unlock colours anyway.

The all-important thing with crafting pylons is to set up as many gems as possible with priority set to 'structure' to target the pylon, as early as possible. I used J4's native colours blue-cyan dual for that purpose partly to ensure no confusion (accidental combining of kill gems and charging gems) and partly because the blue-cyan dual gem has a high firing rate.

I won at around wave 47 which (at wizard level 45) was a couple of waves short of impossibility. If you're still going much after wave 50 you'll die because extremely heavy giants start coming. I also tried this battle with armoured/swarm monsters only and they become impossible to kill too. The only solution is to charge up the pylon asap.

Ruffyl
Ruffyl
73 posts
Nomad

My low level J4 solution, 3 or 4 waves before winning.

http://img821.imageshack.us/img821/8909/fieldj4solutionwithyell.jpg

singleguy19678
singleguy19678
2 posts
Nomad

I have beat all but 2 corners so far and i love it Gemcraft keeps getting better and better all the time

UgAhgItHurts
UgAhgItHurts
259 posts
Peasant

My lowbie game was right around there. I upped to level 80 and went after J4:
http://img541.imageshack.us/img541/4315/j4end.jpg
using these skills:
http://img11.imageshack.us/img11/3795/j4skills.jpg
and armored monsters, 20% more, 20% more hp, all the other settings (banish, faster, more armor).

I bought red and put a level 6 gem in a tower covering the bottom right switchback (8 tiles from right and 4 from bottom, see Ruffyl's pic above). Amp under that, grade 2. I think mana pool up to 1.25x and use rest for angering.

Add amps to kill gem when it starts to struggle, set up a mana farm operation later (doesn't pay off early like it does with higher skills). Unlock green, add to mana trap. Around level 50 my gem had 1k kills and was struggling from tower. Combined with level 6 green then level 7 yellow. Into trap. Amp other side of trap.

Keep angering, up kill setup and mana trap setup til level 12s amped by 10s. Hit the pylon at 2601 kills around wave 80, with starting hp at around 300k. It's tough to have a big enough gem to take later waves with this few skills.

Don't be afraid of the creeps, they aren't so tough

Ruffyl
Ruffyl
73 posts
Nomad

Don't be afraid of the creeps, they aren't so tough

Yeah of course you're right. They just seemed very tough at the time.

Looking back now I'm also wondering why I didn't use amplifiers. But it was a completely different game at that level.
vesperbot
vesperbot
955 posts
Nomad

Gremlion, see, there should not be any chance to have a skill that eats up 100%HP of a monster, regardless of how much effort you must put into earning that state. That's why I'm advising GiaB to change that mechanics. I'm not sure if he listens to me in this way, but I really hope he will

About L/Y nerf - well, currently, the total damage output of L/Y grows about 4.0 per grade increase - isn't it too much? I'd rather have this at 2.5, so grade increase will still be beneficial, but this shouldn't overtake mana spent value by such margin. L/O grows at about the same rate in terms of mana gain per second, so at least a lime nerf is needed.

Ruffyl, well, tenfold setting gives a harder start, and it might be troublesome to have a good start with low wizard level, indeed, but once you hit the HP cap, you're set for the lifetime.

UgAhgItHurts
UgAhgItHurts
259 posts
Peasant

Don't think shrines are the worst, still need to chuck grade 18 or 19 gems in them. If you can do that, you don't need to

Primary thing is pointlessness of armor and as such pointlessness of armor tearing. Armor just needs rethinking, there's a couple ways to go.

Other idea to knock out the summon one less creature than killed instead of mucking with multiplier which seems to work would be to just use endurance multiplier on pylon levels instead of summon.

Also creep hp cap.

Other gems do nutty things too, but it's primarily lime that let's you really abuse them. Orange needs pool extending to be really effective, it's not exactly free for example.

Balancing is never fun, especially something so open-ended. It's ok for using whatever gems are thrown at you in the level and finishing around level 100 for the most part after all. Ok, at least curtail lime growth at higher end for less lag

feldlurch
feldlurch
3 posts
Nomad

i read alot about premium user only using dual gems? why dont you use always 3? is the special bonus bigger then the benefit from the tripple mastery?

Gremlion
Gremlion
522 posts
Blacksmith

Practically for premium:
Manafarm - Lime+Orange. Adding another color(which? cyan? Blue?purple? all almost useless) decrease one or both components thus decrease mana yield.
Damage gem - If you play on Endurance, you just need set defense which will be able to kill hp capped monsters, you don't need adding another color. Possible to start with YLO -gem but you don't need O after getting enough firepower.

Showing 211-225 of 374