The Armor Games website will be down for maintenance on Monday 10/7/2024
starting at 10:00 AM Pacific time. We apologize for the inconvenience.

ForumsThe TavernShould under 11's be banned from the Internet?

71 15257
DaoGao
DaoGao
220 posts
Nomad

This is quite a fiery discussion wherever it is. What do you think? Give a reason why too.

• 71 Replies
EnterOrion
EnterOrion
4,220 posts
Nomad

knight and somewhat i am under 11 knight and somewhat i do not have adult supervision .

No offense, but you really aren't helping your argument. In fact, you're a good example of one who really shouldn't be rolling around too much, too soon.

As for my opinion: No, people under 11 should not be banned. That would raise a generation of computer retarded children who don't have early memories of failure to rely upon. Then again, a tad bit of supervision is not only recommended, it should be required. Letting small children run rampant is never a good idea.
Cenere
Cenere
13,657 posts
Jester

As for my opinion: No, people under 11 should not be banned. That would raise a generation of computer retarded children who don't have early memories of failure to rely upon. Then again, a tad bit of supervision is not only recommended, it should be required. Letting small children run rampant is never a good idea.

This is actually something we discuss in class (oh the wonders of information science), and it is often agreed upon, that experience with computers and the internet is a good thing, as long as there is the proper guidance to make sure that nothing serious will happen.
Early introductions to the ethics of the internet would breed more users competent with the modern technologies, and would (theoretically) cut down on the morons that seem to forget, that the internet is very public, and everything you say, do or even think about saying or doing, could be found and used against you.
After all, think about how it will be when you grow old, and your grandkids find that picture of you dancing naked on a table with a bottle of vodka in one hand and a sextoy in the other.

Further, that that image will make sure your future employees will stare at you for a while before telling you they "will call back".

Education and guidance and a bit of supervision, and we could get a long way.
After that, we just have to find a way to make the real idiots extinct.
allenr912
allenr912
26 posts
Farmer

It's all up to the parents. If they trust their children enough to let them have all access to the Internet, they need to understand that any stupid things that the child does is their responsibility.

Personally, if I had a child, I would let them use the Internet but keep a eye out for what they are doing. I would not want them doing things like making a facebook or youtube account because there is no need for them to have one. I would highly encourage things like googlenews or even stumbleupon because both are great for showing information, even random information can be great.

xeano321
xeano321
3,152 posts
Farmer

They have a right to be paranoid.
If a little child happens to stumble upon a chat-room or something of the sort, people there can track the child's IP Address then possibly find them.
Just take a look at the world. .
Also, there are things that children shouldn't see, they might be curious however and go onto forbidden sites.

Excellent point. There is way too much stuff that can be very harmful to kids. People can get kidnapped by way of the internet. if the kids find some that they know the shouldn't be looking at they will start to hide this kinda stuff from their parents. This can lead to stealing, lying, all the stuff the can affect society in a bad way.

Personally, if I had a child, I would let them use the Internet but keep a eye out for what they are doing.

Sadly, this is no longer a good option. If you had a kid and you left him/her at home alone while you went to the store, whos is gonna be there to watch the them? They can get a YouTube account or a Facebook account and hide it from you! Technology is way too advanced for parents to use that system anymore. Internet browsers have the clear all history button. Once that is gone, you will have no idea where your kids have been or what they were doing.
knight_34
knight_34
13,817 posts
Farmer

Sadly, this is no longer a good option. If you had a kid and you left him/her at home alone while you went to the store, whos is gonna be there to watch the them? They can get a YouTube account or a Facebook account and hide it from you! Technology is way too advanced for parents to use that system anymore. Internet browsers have the clear all history button. Once that is gone, you will have no idea where your kids have been or what they were doing.

There's software specifically designed to monitor internet usage, regardless of the browser's settings. There's more software that allows you to restrict access to settings on 'em computers. Then there are those internet filters. A cruel suggestion would be to put up hidden cameras. Those are all pretty unfair..

Though really, I'd just watch my children very very carefully.

If you had a kid and you left him/her at home alone while you went to the store, whos is gonna be there to watch the them?

I'm not sure I'd leave my child home alone, especially if they were open to being influenced by the internet (e.g. young children). If I'll ever be a parent, I'll be a responsible one.
brp47
brp47
580 posts
Peasant

no they should not using the internet is a vital skill in the developing world.

They need it to learn and do their homework and also I think there is nothing worng with young people being in the internet as long as they use it with care

agreed this is important more people and teachers are finding it easier to set work and homework online rather than individually handing it out.
Showing 61-66 of 71