ForumsThe TavernGeneral Science Discussion

1019 157065
SupaLegit
SupaLegit
644 posts
Nomad

Well, I was searching to see if this was already made, but the searches didn't show a thread with my idea so here it is. I am making this thread so we can have a typical tavern discussion thread for all things science! Basically, a thread for everything science! Ranging from discussions about laws and theories, scientific debate, breakthroughs, discussion about new scientific breakthroughs, certain scientists/philosophers, and all that good stuff!
So go out there and let out your inner science! ;P
To get us going somewhere I'll start: what do you think the future holds for technology? I think our knowledge will allow us to overcome the obstacles thrown at us in the future, I mean, we have discovered so much and have come so far!

• 1,019 Replies
Maverick4
Maverick4
6,804 posts
Peasant

From what I have read it seemed pretty definitive.

I forgot gravity.

I was thinking of a direct collision being probable, though not fact, as they speed isn't guaranteed. If its on the low end of the projected trajectory/speed, then it'll miss. But then the gravity will screw everything up.

Stupid, stupid, stupid.
Dragonblaze052
Dragonblaze052
26,679 posts
Peasant

I forgot gravity.

We here prefer Newtonian Physics over Will E. Coyote physics....

I am sure that if something we have no idea happens, the collision could be averted. It is highly unlikely, but still possible.
Maverick4
Maverick4
6,804 posts
Peasant

We here prefer Newtonian Physics over Will E. Coyote physics....

Lulz.

What I meant, though, was that Galaxies are mostly empty space. So the chances of a physical collision are slim. Gravity is the big player here, and will be what really affects the bodies. As they get closer, (basic physics here), the gravity increases between them. And they're huge objects to begin with, so the gravity will twist and tear the bodies as they get closer.

Will E. Coyote physics... hahaha, good one.
MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,470 posts
Farmer

What I meant, though, was that Galaxies are mostly empty space. So the chances of a physical collision are slim.

What it means by collision is that the two galaxies will merge. It's unlikely any of the solar bodies from either galaxy will come into contact with each other.
Dragonblaze052
Dragonblaze052
26,679 posts
Peasant

What it means by collision is that the two galaxies will merge. It's unlikely any of the solar bodies from either galaxy will come into contact with each other.

No matter what their rotations are, at one point, they will be opposed to each other.

Lulz.

Will E. Coyote physics... hahaha, good one.

Thank you very much, Mav.
Foraker
Foraker
101 posts
Nomad

I don't checked out the link. But as I know, when two black holes with that mass collide, then it will cause a massive gammaray burst.

What I meant, though, was that Galaxies are mostly empty space. So the chances of a physical collision are slim.

Galaxies are not only hold together because of the gravity. Maybe the dark matter or energy also has an effect, when the two collide.
Maverick4
Maverick4
6,804 posts
Peasant

Maybe the dark matter or energy also has an effect, when the two collide.

The Dark Energy Halos around Andromeda and Milkyway will most affected by gravity as they get closer.
dair5
dair5
3,379 posts
Shepherd

In nature when animals population gets really high, something bad happens that reduces their population. So will this happen to humans too?

Also I hope this isn't a necro.

Maverick4
Maverick4
6,804 posts
Peasant

In nature when animals population gets really high, something bad happens that reduces their population. So will this happen to humans too?

*Technically* yes. Disease (The Black Plague), War (Various), and Natural Disasters (Various) have in the past held the numbers of man in check. Now, with advanced medicines, higher qualitiy seeds, and continued spreading of knowledge to third world countries, the quality of life, and therefore the longevity of life, is increasing. As life increases, so does population. Disease decreases, natural disasters stay the same, and war decreases, if ever so slightly.

Eventually, some catastrophic will happen to drastically decrease the population, or the eviroment will not be able to sustain it.
bschnauzer7
bschnauzer7
290 posts
Scribe

A morbid thought, but a true one. And if the population increases too much, diseases would actually spread faster and may or may not be more lethal.

FloydTC
FloydTC
2,920 posts
Nomad

And if the population increases too much, diseases would actually spread faster and may or may not be more lethal.

hey, you cant complain if it solves the overpopulation crisis.
Dragonblaze052
Dragonblaze052
26,679 posts
Peasant

Dair, it's not a necro. It is within the allowable limit and was brought back with an effective and relevant comment

Not only will diseases spread faster, they will evolve faster. In a worst case scenario, one could crop up that was highly deadly and immune to all drugs. Given the increased population density, it could easily wipe out millions.

gbnxc
gbnxc
192 posts
Nomad

I'm currently reading the book "Rocket Boys" it is also called "October Sky"It is writting by Homar Hickam and its a really good book if your into true science stories. It's a true story a NASA engineer and his journey to accomplish their dreams of sending rockets into space

dair5
dair5
3,379 posts
Shepherd

I have a few questions.

1. So we live on the surface of universe. How deep is the surface. There are entire galaxies on the surface, so isn't really deep?

2. Is there such thing as 2D or 1D? I mean from a perspective even a piece of paper has width. And a human hair's width can fit a million atoms.

3. At the beginning of the universe everything was very hot. So it should have been plasma. Then as things cooled shouldn't there have been more heavey eleaments then light ones? The universe is mostly made of hydrogen.

MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,470 posts
Farmer

2. Is there such thing as 2D or 1D? I mean from a perspective even a piece of paper has width. And a human hair's width can fit a million atoms.

Some speculate that our universe is actually 2D with the third being a "hologram" created by the two.

3. At the beginning of the universe everything was very hot. So it should have been plasma.

It was a high energy density. We didn't even have matter at this point.
Showing 931-945 of 1019