ForumsNews and FeedbackIdeas and Discussions about: Armatars

256 61258
cormyn
cormyn
2,892 posts
Nomad

Hi everyone,

Since we have a LOT of duplicate threads on Armatars, I'm creating this sticky post where users can discuss ideas about armatars.

We've stated several times that Dan is in charge of armatars at the moment, and that if you want new armatars to go let him know. We have several new ideas for armatars on AG3 that we'll discuss in this thread as we work on it.

For starters, we ARE going to allow custom armatars at some point. I'm not sure if it'll be there when AG3 launches, but it's a priority. We'll have strict requirements, probably something like being a member for more than 6 months, and have a certain number of points/achievements or a reputation level of a certain rank or something. The specifics are still being worked out. One idea is that at one level (points/achievements/reputation), you could upload an armatar that only you could use. At another level, you could unlock it for your friends to use. At another level, your followers, and at the highest level, make it available for anyone on the site. We've also discussed the idea of letting our most artistic users create entire *sets* of armatars for the site.

In AG3, all users will have a unique URL for their armatar, which they can use on other sites if they choose. We'll have a link on your dashboard that will show you what the URL is or how to download a high-quality version of the image.

All armatar uploads will be heavily scrutinized by human eyes before they go live on the site. Users who abuse the system by uploading an image against our Terms and Conditions and other rules and guidelines about images will be permanently banned from the site.

Anyhow, if you have other ideas, questions, suggestions, please place them here. If you see other users asking about AG3 armatars, please direct them back to this forum thread.

• 256 Replies
Patrick2011
Patrick2011
12,321 posts
Treasurer

Armatars for 15,000 AP

Pegasus
Gryffin
Cyclops
Banshee
Chupacabra

The Myth Pack

I think the AP system will be different in AG3, making the current requirements obsolete. Even if this is for AG2, I don't think there will be that kind of update to AG2.
cormyn
cormyn
2,892 posts
Nomad

how do public domain images work? aren't they normally just "don't sell it for personal profit, but you can use it for other personal things?" kinda maybe sorta?

Well, that gets a little iffy, because we make money on the site, we'd essentially be using their art work on a for-profit business, which means we'd have to contact the original artist for permission/licensing.

Creative Commons tries to reduce that legal legwork to some degree, because the artist can explicitly say things like "you can use my artwork anywhere, just give me credit for it" or "you can use my artwork on free web sites, but not for any commercial use".

i want this kind of armatars

Wow, what part of "no copyrighted images" isn't getting through to some of you? )
Sonatavarius
Sonatavarius
1,322 posts
Farmer

:S.. that does make things problematic then (>__> I SUUUUCK at drawing... maybeh I'll ask a frand to whip me up something cool...)

Don't get me the wrong way here... I'm not trying to badger you over images. I'm just curious about the other sites. ...and I hate to be another person comparing AG to another site... but I've seen a few that allow people to post images of characters or stuff they just ripped off of somewhere else. Is it that AG is the only one that actually follows the rules (more power to you I'd do the same thing) or is it that the others are swamped in paperwork because of it?

and the legal side of things has always caught my interest... do they view images on the site (even those uploaded by users) as the actual site using it? ...like you're using/allowing images of pop culture game/anime/manga characters and that in itself adds to the ranks of your user base and thus more moneys for you? (even if indirectly)

JsaKim
JsaKim
267 posts
Nomad

I like some of the Armatars but can you please make some cooler ones?!

Sonatavarius
Sonatavarius
1,322 posts
Farmer

you'll have to go to dan's profile and ask him whether or not he's gonna make some... if they're cool or not would dependent on your opinion.

eaglepaw
eaglepaw
322 posts
Nomad

hey where is my messages?
i sent it yesterday.
never mind, i want armatar which has animal

ferfer313
ferfer313
260 posts
Nomad

We could have a June photo contest with a division for serfs, squires, king/queens ect! Then we would have 7 new cool armatars!

cormyn
cormyn
2,892 posts
Nomad

Sonatavarius, if I had to guess, I'd presume that other site just allow users to upload anything they want, and take a defensive stance of deleting images after users report it. We hope to be more proactive about it and screen things before they'd be allowed on the site.

But user uploads are a long way off.

LiamDude511
LiamDude511
1 posts
Nomad

Add animated Armatars?

Patrick2011
Patrick2011
12,321 posts
Treasurer

i want armatar which has animal

There are plenty of those out there. However, you will need more AP.
bnathan3
bnathan3
6 posts
Nomad

it would be good to have some Naruto/Bleach Armatars. there are lots of fans of those.

Sonatavarius
Sonatavarius
1,322 posts
Farmer

NO ARMATARS WILL BE ALLOWED FROM POPULAR MEDIA...IE MOVIES, MANGA, ANIME, VIDEO GAMES!!! ITS COPYRIGHT INFRINGEMENT. DEAL WITH IT.

now that I have your attention. maybe you (my fellow ag users...) could research whether or not it would be legal to use images for yourself that you drew yourself of someone else's copyrighted character. there's a hazy gray area when it comes down to showing off your own art that depicts characters that you yourself did not create... (meaning you didn't create Naruto... but maybe if you drew a picture it could be used b/c you drew it...but then again maybe not b/c naruto belongs to the creators) DOES THAT MAKE SENSE?

Cormyn... you sir have superhuman patience. how have you not flipped your lid just yet?

Patrick2011
Patrick2011
12,321 posts
Treasurer

Cormyn... you sir have superhuman patience. how have you not flipped your lid just yet?

I don't think cormyn has "superhuman" patience. Instead, I think he is allowing this because it's on topic.
Rasyn
Rasyn
3 posts
Nomad

You should be able to customize your Armatars, like start with a basic shape and then add stuff.

Xcalibur45
Xcalibur45
1,830 posts
Farmer

You should be able to customize your Armatars, like start with a basic shape and then add stuff.

Well then you'll get those people that get inappropriate with it.
Showing 226-240 of 256