ForumsWEPRTheism and Atheism

4668 1465376
thepyro222
thepyro222
2,150 posts
Peasant

I grew up atheist for 16 years. I had always kept an open mind towards religion, but never really felt a need to believe in it. My sister started going to a Wednesday night children's program at a church. Eventually, I was dragged into a Christmas Eve service. Scoffing, I reluctantly went, assuming that this was going to be a load of crap, but when I went, I felt something. Something that I've never felt before. I felt a sense of empowerment and a sense of calling. Jesus called upon my soul, just like he did with his disciples. he wanted me to follow him. Now, my life is being lived for Christ. He died on the cross for my sins, and the sins of everyone who believes in him. He was beaten, brutalized, struck with a whip 39 times, made to carry a cross up to the stage of his death. This I believe to be true, and I can never repay him for what he has done.
I still have my struggles with Christianity, but I've found this bit of information most useful. Religion is not comprehensible in the human mind, because we cannot comprehend the idea of a perfect and supreme being, a God, but we can believe it in our heart, and that's the idea of faith. Faith is, even though everything rides against me believing in Jesus, I still believe in him because I know that it's true in my heart. I invite my fellow Brothers and sisters of the LORD to talk about how Jesus has helped you in your life. No atheists and no insults please

• 4,668 Replies
Fishdert
Fishdert
37 posts
Nomad

I have a very open mind and you have not provided me with any new information - when new information is presented i do take it on board, and as stated, would admit i was wrong.

Right. You and others seem immune to apostasy and of allowing science to alter your opinions of your faith.

Why are we arguing about this if it will change no one's views on Christianity?
Blkasp
Blkasp
1,304 posts
Nomad

Why are we arguing about this if it will change no one's views on Christianity?

It is fun to debate. I believe that is why.
Jefferysinspiration
Jefferysinspiration
3,139 posts
Farmer

Right. You and others seem immune to apostasy and of allowing science to alter your opinions of your faith.

You clearly haven't bothered reading where i've stated if science produces 100% concrete evidence i would change my mind and accept i was wrong.
partydevil
partydevil
5,129 posts
Jester

It is fun to debate. I believe that is why.

how do i +1 this comment on this forum? =P
bravehawk204
bravehawk204
349 posts
Nomad

Ya Christianity, Ya

partydevil
partydevil
5,129 posts
Jester

100% concrete evidence i would change my mind and accept i was wrong

ow yea just like any relion give us 100% concrete evidence. xD

atleast we can give evidence. and we can give theorys wich we can try to test and experiment whit. not compareable whit that huge solit concrete block of evidence that says "god did it" -period.
HahiHa
HahiHa
8,253 posts
Regent

.......has this thread turned into a accusation-of-closed-mindedness-fest? Being open-minded doesn't mean that you naively adopt every idea that shows the slightest glitter of evidence.

You clearly haven't bothered reading where i've stated if science produces 100% concrete evidence i would change my mind and accept i was wrong.

Science can provide only 99.99...% of evidence at most, or else it would be spreading dogmas, which is the point where religion and science differ. I don't think you only listen to dogmas, but I guess you would need some really strong evidence to be convinced. Science can in some cases offer rather strong evidence; just take your time to inform yourself about as much as you can.

Theres a reason he doesn't do that. It would be too easy to just play follow the leader. Thats why we have to exercise faith.

How am I to exercise faith about something that doesn't even condescend to give any sign of existence? You know, while discussing with christians I have been told many times that I should just give it a chance, call for god or for jesus and do it honestly, then he would give a sign in whatever way he deems right. I tried it one time half seriously, it was a plea (didn't work of course), and one time absolutely seriously, no plea whatsoever. If he exists, he is omnipotent and all-loving. If he is omnipotent, he should know how skeptic I can be and he should know just what sort of sign should be enough for me to realize that was a sign. If he is all-loving he should want to give me the possibility to believe in him. I tried to call upon him and I'm still waiting for anything. Either he doesn't know how to convince me, or he doesn't want to make me believe. In both cases the assumption of god's existence doesn't work. Tell me how to have faith in such a situation?
Fishdert
Fishdert
37 posts
Nomad

Proponents of science and religion attempt to stand on ground that is fundamentally shakier than either of the zealous desire to admit.

Both are an exercise of faith; I do not know why people are proclaiming that science is indubitable. Science is, as defined by Merriam-Webster: "knowledge or a system of knowledge covering general truths or the operation of general laws especially as obtained and tested through scientific method." Science and religion both rely on generalizations.

Religions like Christianity receive negative reviews because people think that it is brainless. Rather, it requires a stretch of brainpower to consider the existence of God. Yes, there is no empirical evidence fundamentally proving the existence of God. Why does there need to be? It is a generally-accepted "leap of faith."

The "Big Bang" is a generally-accepted leap of faith also. We have no empirical evidence. No scientist piloted a spacecraft adjacent to the event and recorded what occurred every femtosecond. We have no proof correlating precisely to the incident; we only have proof that can somewhat accurately support the claim.

Why is it believed that science and religion are the polar death of the other? Considering their tenets rest both on shaky ground (imprecision rampant in both studies), why believe either is superior?

And furthermore, to put the "blind faith" argument to rest, are we not utilizing "blind" faith when we trust another scientist and his/her findings (such as those of global warming)? How can we be 100% certain that all of these supposed correlations and data are accurate and point to this specific truth? When we are unable to reproduce the experiment (usually from financial reasons), are we not forced to accept science's findings in trust? Trust is a leap of faith; we need to have some foundation in order to establish science.

partydevil
partydevil
5,129 posts
Jester

cience and religion are the polar death of the other?

maybe this is why?
Jefferysinspiration
Jefferysinspiration
3,139 posts
Farmer

ow yea just like any relion give us 100% concrete evidence. xD

atleast we can give evidence. and we can give theorys wich we can try to test and experiment whit. not compareable whit that huge solit concrete block of evidence that says "god did it" -period[/quote]

You should really read peoples posts before making sarcastic comments. If you had bothered to read, i said religion was based on blind faith which is why i said people could call me naive if they must. There isn't 100% evidence for God. There isn't 100% evidence for the big bang theory. My choice is due to my own personal decision. I do not disagree that science has evidence for certain things - i did not in any way dismiss science in any other term. So i don't really get where you're coming from.
Jefferysinspiration
Jefferysinspiration
3,139 posts
Farmer

maybe this is why?

Show me 100% evidence for the big bang theory - that it is indisputably correct, and i will admit you're right.
dair5
dair5
3,371 posts
Shepherd

I'm confused, so you can only be one or the other? You can't be a critical thinker at sometimes and a beliver in other times? As long as you don't mix the two then what's the problem?

thepyro222
thepyro222
2,150 posts
Peasant

I'm confused, so you can only be one or the other? You can't be a critical thinker at sometimes and a beliver in other times? As long as you don't mix the two then what's the problem?

No, you can be both. I am a Christian, but I question a lot of the bible all the time. I believe two things... and these I know for sure, is that 1: God created the universe and 2: Jesus Christ died to show sacrifice and absolve people from their sins. Everything else, I'm still trying to figure out
Avorne
Avorne
3,085 posts
Nomad

1: God created the universe and 2: Jesus Christ died to show sacrifice and absolve people from their sins.

How do you know these things though? Where's the evidence? As soon as you affix these things in your mind as being definite and unquestionable then you lose the critical thinking part of yourself, even if it's just a little, hold nothing as being true based on faith alone.
Jefferysinspiration
Jefferysinspiration
3,139 posts
Farmer

How do you know these things though? Where's the evidence? As soon as you affix these things in your mind as being definite and unquestionable then you lose the critical thinking part of yourself, even if it's just a little, hold nothing as being true based on faith alone.

Can't you say the same to the big bang theory - It's provisional.
Showing 1816-1830 of 4668