ForumsWEPRTheism and Atheism

4668 1465333
thepyro222
thepyro222
2,150 posts
Peasant

I grew up atheist for 16 years. I had always kept an open mind towards religion, but never really felt a need to believe in it. My sister started going to a Wednesday night children's program at a church. Eventually, I was dragged into a Christmas Eve service. Scoffing, I reluctantly went, assuming that this was going to be a load of crap, but when I went, I felt something. Something that I've never felt before. I felt a sense of empowerment and a sense of calling. Jesus called upon my soul, just like he did with his disciples. he wanted me to follow him. Now, my life is being lived for Christ. He died on the cross for my sins, and the sins of everyone who believes in him. He was beaten, brutalized, struck with a whip 39 times, made to carry a cross up to the stage of his death. This I believe to be true, and I can never repay him for what he has done.
I still have my struggles with Christianity, but I've found this bit of information most useful. Religion is not comprehensible in the human mind, because we cannot comprehend the idea of a perfect and supreme being, a God, but we can believe it in our heart, and that's the idea of faith. Faith is, even though everything rides against me believing in Jesus, I still believe in him because I know that it's true in my heart. I invite my fellow Brothers and sisters of the LORD to talk about how Jesus has helped you in your life. No atheists and no insults please

• 4,668 Replies
pballaddict
pballaddict
128 posts
Nomad

@shift4101^Amen Brother.
And also, I know all of you can feel God tugging at your heart. He wants you to let him in. But your mind is rejecting him with fear of the unknown. Be open minded and he will show you the way

Avorne
Avorne
3,085 posts
Nomad

Nope, never felt with silly 'god' feeling you guys keep talking about, it sounds like it's just your superstitious side killing off the rational part of your brain - a little bit like a tumour. You might wanna get that checked out. God doesn't exist and you're all blinded by faith - you take comfort from fairytales to dispel your fear of the unknown.

pballaddict
pballaddict
128 posts
Nomad

If people are born with no knowledge of religion, then they simply cant be born atheists. atheists are people simply against religions. So they cant be born atheists, people, for the billionth time, CHOOSE.

pballaddict
pballaddict
128 posts
Nomad

@Avorne Have you tried being open-minded yet?

Avorne
Avorne
3,085 posts
Nomad

Yes, yes I have, I've spent the majority of the time in which I've experienced religion dissecting it and finding out more about it - looking into what different religions believe and asking questions about why and how they reached that conclusion. Nobody has any good answers though, that's the thing, they all just amount to 'I feel...' or 'goddidit'.

shift4101
shift4101
196 posts
Peasant

Avorne, you seem to ignore me. Be it Charles Darwin or an agnostic, both have take claims to not believe in God. Just sit back, turn your screen off, and think. Think of everyone you love. Think of everyone you hate. Are they just going to be forgotten when you all die? Do they deserve death? Could you imagine your life without your loved ones? Will you really be turned into dust in the wind?

Now try to imagine me. Me as a person. Not my physical appearance, but my soul and mind. Do you believe I am incapable of understanding what you think is right? Are you really presuming correctly that I am just naive? Possibly, but maybe I know something that you don't. Maybe I have a light in my life. Maybe the world makes sense to me, simply because it was made out of love. All these sin's we experience, we can overcome. We can all overcome this. And it takes not a second. Just sit in your chair, relax, and let the feeling of Lord fill your soul. If you can't manage that, think of everyone you love in your life, and everyone you hate, and think about them. Does sin come into your mind? If it does, does it not come with blame and guilt? Why are you experiencing these feelings? Because you were made to feel guilt for denying the Lord. And to rid yourself of these feelings simply requires you to say, "Jesus I am ready.", and he will flood your soul.

Please take a moment and think about what I have said. Don't just speak an atheistic response, but hear me out. Whether you like it or not, Jesus loves you, and would have died for you specifically.

pballaddict
pballaddict
128 posts
Nomad

That's the whole idea Avorne, or else there'd be no point in belief. You don't have a solid answer to prove Christians wrong. It all amounts to "I think" but you don't know

Avorne
Avorne
3,085 posts
Nomad

Jesus can indulge in sexual relations with a nettle plant. All I'm hearing from you is brainwashed idiocy.

Avorne
Avorne
3,085 posts
Nomad

That's the whole idea Avorne, or else there'd be no point in belief. You don't have a solid answer to prove Christians wrong. It all amounts to "I think" but you don't know

You don't have a solid answer to prove that you're right either. Nor do you have a solid answer to prove that you're not actually praying to any one of a billion other Gods that could potentially exist.
pballaddict
pballaddict
128 posts
Nomad

Of course you say that, because we have you trapped. Instead of considering your simply ignoring the truth. What you just said is brainwashed idiocy.

shift4101
shift4101
196 posts
Peasant

Perhaps this would be easier if all 3 of us sat in a room. Jesus will forgive you for what you have said. There is no need to feel like you will lose something if you convert. All of what you poses, all those worldly thoughts and objects, are worth nothing at the gates of heaven. I cannot turn water into wine, nor walk on water. But I can do one thing that may surprise you. Avorne, I love you. If someone threatened our lives, I would gladly give mine up so you might live. So you might see the wisdom of God someday, and bathe in his glory for however long you might live. Maybe you will be having this conversation again, but on the opposite side.

Now it is past 1 A.M. where I live, and I have to go to bed. Goodnight.

pballaddict
pballaddict
128 posts
Nomad

And if you're saying what we believe in is a religion, then the fact that you believe there are no religions is a religion, Which means your an atheist to yourself.

Avorne
Avorne
3,085 posts
Nomad

I was never brainwashed though, throughout my entire life I've chosen my own path and not had religion shoved down my throat, my own path has led to my own conclusions and I'm very comfortable with them. You act like I've been brainwashed by some secret Atheist cult that is, somehow since atheists don't believe in gods and demons, run by Satan. This is what happens when people are allowed to make their own choices and decisions in life, when they don't have to listen to the droning and brain-numbing lunacy of religion, this is what happens when people decide for themselves. That isn't to say that some people don't choose religion of their own accord but I bet the majority of people grew up in religious households.

Avorne
Avorne
3,085 posts
Nomad

the fact that you believe there are no religions

It would be stupid of me to believe that religions don't exist - Christianity, Islam, Judaism, Hinduism, Buddhism, Pastafarianism, etc... I'm pretty sure all those exist as religions.

If you're trying to say that Atheism is a religion then you might as well say that not collecting stamps is a hobby or that being unemployed is an occupation. If you expanded the definition of religion to include atheism then that would practically destroy the ability of the word 'religion' to describe anything seeing as religion and atheism are currently at opposite ends of the spectrum.
pballaddict
pballaddict
128 posts
Nomad

...Okay? If you are growing up in religious households, you can go to church everyday, and say you believe to impress your parents. But secretly, you really don't. Or believe through child hood and once past 18 and you are thrown out into the real world, you change your belief. We STILL have a CHOICE. We have a choice to do every action or belief.

Showing 1936-1950 of 4668